Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #16
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Speaking only for myself, "the latest features" I've seen of the latest models - often have nothing to do with book reading itself.
+1 to that.
Just like the development with the epub standard.
Would be nice if they would just make reading devices better instead of making them into WTF-IS-IT
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #17
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I have a Sony 350, and like the elegance of the interface... as long as i use the stylus. I can touch and swipe it all day long, and it simply doesn't respond to me in any reliable way.

Will the new Kindle Paperwhite respond to a stylus? they should. It's yet One More Thing to lose in the bottom of my purse, but I suppose I'll just have to cope.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, it's a capacitive touch screen, so it'll work with styluses sold for the iPad, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #19
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I was very sceptical about Touch screens on readers when I bought my Kindle Touch, but I'm a convert now. I find the touch screen on the Touch to be completely reliable and a pleasure to use. I have no desire at all to go back to buttons. For text entry, the soft keyboard on the Touch works much better than the physical keyboard of the K3.
I had a Nook ST and have a Kindle without touch and looking up a word in the dictionary is actually faster on the Kindle. The Kindle also give me fewer page turns by mistake. So I like my Kindle much better.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #20
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Now, of course, the big question is, will the new Kindle Paperwhite work with the Kindle Collections Manager plugin for Calibre? I don't think the touches work with that, and I'd hate to have to go back to manually managing my collections.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #21
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Now, of course, the big question is, will the new Kindle Paperwhite work with the Kindle Collections Manager plugin for Calibre? I don't think the touches work with that, and I'd hate to have to go back to manually managing my collections.
If it doesn't right away, it will soon enough. I've never seen an app (or plugins) get updates as quickly as Calibre.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #22
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
(as a side note, I can't wear watches, either - they'll stop after a few months. If I take the watch off and leave it in my drawer, they'll start up again after a few more months)

Am I the only one who has this kind of problem?
My father worked as an electrician most of his life and had the same problem with watches. Now that's he's retired and not messing with electricity, he is able to keep watches working.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #23
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:

I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who doesn't like touch screens. I'm sure I could get used to them, except a lot of the time they don't work for me. On my Droid smartphone, I mostly have to use a stylus to get it to recognize the touch. If somebody calls me on my phone, by the time I can get it to pick up, the other person has given up and I have to call them back.
I used to have the original Droid. I often had the same problem. No problems with my iphone or my kindle touch though.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #24
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I was very sceptical about Touch screens on readers when I bought my Kindle Touch, but I'm a convert now. I find the touch screen on the Touch to be completely reliable and a pleasure to use. I have no desire at all to go back to buttons. For text entry, the soft keyboard on the Touch works much better than the physical keyboard of the K3.
I would be happy to give up the keyboard from my k3 as I rarely use it anyway, but the page turn buttons are so much nicer to use than a swipe or tap to change pages, they are right under your thumb so almost no effort needed at all.

Sadly we will likely see less buttons on devices all the time, companies would much prefer to drop any point of mechanical failure like physical buttons because it reduces the points of failure on the device.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #25
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
I've found the T1 to be a very good reader. The page turns are smooth although I'd prefer using taps rather than swipes. The manual page turn buttons are a good alternative. Occasionally, a fly will land on the screen and suddenly the reader is demon-possessed. It starts flipping pages madly until I can shoo the fly away. It's fun finding my place again.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #26
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
I've found the T1 to be a very good reader. The page turns are smooth although I'd prefer using taps rather than swipes. The manual page turn buttons are a good alternative. Occasionally, a fly will land on the screen and suddenly the reader is demon-possessed. It starts flipping pages madly until I can shoo the fly away. It's fun finding my place again.
Stop reading William Golding.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #27
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
(smartphones can be a pain in the winter)
There are gloves available that have capacitive pads on the fingertips for smartphone use.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
If it doesn't right away, it will soon enough. I've never seen an app (or plugins) get updates as quickly as Calibre.
To get collections to be managed on a Kindle Touch via software on the computer, you first have to jailbreak it, give Jeff Bezos your first born and promise you'll never read an eBook in ePub.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
I would be happy to give up the keyboard from my k3 as I rarely use it anyway, but the page turn buttons are so much nicer to use than a swipe or tap to change pages, they are right under your thumb so almost no effort needed at all.
Have you actually tried an eink reader with IR touch before making such a blanket statement?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:07 AM   #30
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you actually tried an eink reader with IR touch before making such a blanket statement?
I have, and agree with him. (Sony & kindle keyboard.)

You can keep thumb rested on a button and only give a little pressure to turn page.
Can't do that w/touch. Must move thumb, and if thumb is being used to stabilize device, moving it becomes unstable. Not a problem for everyone, but if you have to read while flat on back or other weird positions, it's annoying.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote