Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #61
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Do any of the devices other than the Pocketbook 360 incorporate a G-sensor to detect when you switch to Landscape automatically?

Graham
Amazon Kindle DX. One of the first things I did was turn it off, so I don't know how well it works.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #62
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
That depends on what you consider an MP3 player to be, surely?
My iPod Touch has a lot more features than my iPod Classic.
So has the market has segmented into two:
a) Bargain basement offerings with minimal functionality
b) Multi-function devices that have absorbed the original functionality
Which sounds like what is being discussed about eBook readers too.
iPods never had some of the features of other MP-3 players - No flash card expandability, no reading non-Apple standard formats (such as FLAC or WAV), and no user replaceable battery.

Lots of these are currently being dropped from the (sic) budget basement MP-3 players, and ones like Creative Zen (which had quite good build quality) have dropped open read firmware to have Apple-like lock-in firmware.

Build quality is dropping across the non-Apple board...

I don't want to plug in a tablet to my car just to play music while I drive...

Last edited by Greg Anos; 06-14-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #63
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I agree. And it's the only area of improvement that would actually have anything to do with "reading."
that's pretty much it for me as well. Give me a cream/off-white background and faster processing (for menu navigation, not page turns), and I'm good to go. Maybe a tad sharper contrast and resolution for the heck of it. Actually I kinda like the gray, too.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #64
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
The big thing that's suffered (primarily because of Apple's dominance, I think) is format support. You just don't see as many formats supported as you used to. I had an MP3 player that could play:

MP3
OGG
WMA
FLAC

And it did it all handily. You don't see a lot of devices like that anymore. Of course, some would argue that you don't need WMA, but OGG and FLAC sure come in handy. The same player not only had a radio, but it could trasmit its signal to a radio, so you could listen to your music on your car stereo or stereo at home without using wires. (This was way before Bluetooth.)

The same can be said of video support.

I think the problem is that even the high-end MP3 players don't have the features the MP3 players used to have.

that's one of the reasons the SanDisk sansa lines have quite the cult following. They offer all those formats in a shrinking market.

Best move I ever made for my ears was going from iPod to the sansa's .
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #65
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
The Cool-Er EB600 used a hardware button for that - which was perfect, IMO.
I loathe devices that try to outsmart me and turn to landscape whenever I don't hold it at the perfect angle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Amazon Kindle DX. One of the first things I did was turn it off, so I don't know how well it works.
Thanks, both.

Yes, it would have to have a setting that allowed it to be toggled on and off, but I can see this being really useful for the sort of pdfs that I read (where there are multiple columns but also graphics or pull-out boxes that cross the page).

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #66
Rainmaker
Zealot
Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
that's one of the reasons the SanDisk sansa lines have quite the cult following. They offer all those formats in a shrinking market.

Best move I ever made for my ears was going from iPod to the sansa's .
I had a lovely Sansa; lend it to my brother, he got robbed. Long story short i came into the same store 5 months after my 1st purchase with the exact same mp3 player.... only to get mugged/robbed 7 months later.
That was the heck of it; total denial; and well, cell phones started coming with "decent" mp3 players (currently on a Nokia 5310)
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #67
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
I had a lovely Sansa; lend it to my brother, he got robbed. Long story short i came into the same store 5 months after my 1st purchase with the exact same mp3 player.... only to get mugged/robbed 7 months later.
Sounds like you need this MP3 player.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #68
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Sounds like you need this MP3 player.
WOW. I want.
Why do all the fun toys have to be illegal in Canada?
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #69
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAA View Post
I didn't see anyone mention the feature I am waiting for - an ereader with a roll-up screen. I busted the screen on my first K3 by sticking it in my back pocket and then forgetting and sitting on it. I really would like an ereader with a cigar tube form-factor with a pull-out screen. It wouldn't have to be color or have a faster refresh rate than the current ereaders.

Duane
How about foldable? I'm thinking something the size of a Sony 650, but which could be folded in half to fit in your pocket.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:19 PM   #70
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
I loathe devices that try to outsmart me and turn to landscape whenever I don't hold it at the perfect angle.
the 360 allows you to turn it on or off in case you lie down etc AND with a brilliant add on from a user you can even use it to change pages just by tilting it. you can even choose the degree of tilt needed for the page turn.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:25 PM   #71
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAA View Post
I didn't see anyone mention the feature I am waiting for - an ereader with a roll-up screen.

Duane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
How about foldable? I'm thinking something the size of a Sony 650, but which could be folded in half to fit in your pocket.
This is actually why i entered the thread. Here is one way to show that ereader development hasnt peaked yet

Polymer Vision just uploaded that video last month. and Harmon- you dont have to roll it. you could "just" fold it...
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:32 AM   #72
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
WOW. I want.
Why do all the fun toys have to be illegal in Canada?
We're not allowed to have fun here - we export all our comedians to the US!
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:43 AM   #73
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
As soon as they make a Sean Connery text to speech option, I'll buy a Kindle!
"It wash the besht of timesh, it wash the worsht of timesh".
Pure magic.
That is not as implausible as you might think. Nuance, the company Amazon licenses the TTS from, does have a Scottish-inflected voice (but it is female):

http://www.nuance.com/for-business/b...izer/index.htm

I would like to see Amazon sell some of these additional 'inflections'. I would definitely buy a few of them.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:06 AM   #74
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
My 505 had a hardware button for that, too (an extra long hold on the size button). A great feature, I agree. I would probably keep my G-sensor off, too. I usually lock on my orientation on my iPad, I really don't like the shifting landscape either.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:09 AM   #75
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quite frankly ereader technology really should plateau at some point, for environmental reasons. It's a device dedicated to recreate a non-digital experience; it doesn't need keep advancing to infinity like personal computing hardware. Despite our referring to paper as 'dead tree books,' ereaders have little, if any, ecological high ground to stand on. The amount of chemicals, water, non-renewable metals and fossil fuels ultimately used to create an ereader is significant. Top that off with yet another electronic device and its battery filling up landfills.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote