Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
MatanBarLev
MatanBarLev began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Kindle DX

Hi Everybody!

I have a question about Kindle DX. I see that there is an option to enlarge the text in 150%, 200% etc. What can I do if I want to enlare it by a proportion which does NOT appear in one of the options (e.g. 137%)?
Is there any sophisticated way to do it?
MatanBarLev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
physics
Enthusiast
physics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
I don't believe so- at least, I haven't found one yet. If you really need it, you can try changing your firmware to the unofficial duokan firmware; I believe it supports arbitrary zoom factors. (Although I haven't done it, so you probably want to ask someone who has first.)
physics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:58 AM   #3
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
duokan is the solution. Try running duokan via launchpad, this way you can use both original firmware and duokan without having to reset everytime you want to change firmwares.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
MatanBarLev

duokan?
What is it? Can you explain a little bit ?
Old 10-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
MickeyMark
Learning to read...
MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: K3-3G, KDXG
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105847
MickeyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
MatanBarLev

Duokan

Thank you for your help.
Still I have some problems with the installation process of the Duokan.

It says in the link that after unzipping the file, I have to copy the following folders:
DK_System, DK_Documents and DK_Pictures

However, the only folder I have is the "DK_System". DK_Documents and DK_Pictures are gone.

Where is the problem?
Old 10-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Open a thread in the Kindle Developers Forum - that's where all the "techies" hang out - they can help you.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatanBarLev View Post
Hi Everybody!

I have a question about Kindle DX. I see that there is an option to enlarge the text in 150%, 200% etc. What can I do if I want to enlare it by a proportion which does NOT appear in one of the options (e.g. 137%)?
Is there any sophisticated way to do it?
I use Duokan with my DXG.

Using the font size key (AA) in Duokan allows you to access several options, including zoom to 100, 110, 120, 130, and 140%, or you can zoom to fit the width or the height of the page to the screen. There is also a means to manually trim files that have wide margins and to zoom to a selected area. Both use crosshair positioning that is very slow.

You can also select column and comic book modes and smart layout that reflows the file with varying results depending on how the original document was created.

You can also select the page orientation- Duokan doesn't handle the auto reorienting that the normal Kindle firmware does.

There is also a zoom that is accessible using the "menu" button, but there is no indication of zoom level, just zoom in and zoom out.

The shift-space captures screen shots.
Here's a pdf page that is set to fit the height of the page to the screen:

Here's the menu you get by using the AA key:

Here's the custom zoom menu (100, 110, 120, 130, and 140%):

Here are the crosshairs that you get when you select the manual trim and region zoom options. Holding the 5-way knob to one side moves the crosshair by 1 (?) pixel at a time and takes 40 sec to traverse the width of the screen. Holding the shift button down and using the 5-way steps the crosshair across the screen in about 5 seconds.:

Here's the result of that manual trim- this result is applied to all pages of the document:

Here's the comic book layout menu (that Duokan has mislabeled "Two-Col"):

Here's the 2 column mode menu (that Duokan has mislabeled "Comic"):

Here's what you get when you select "smart layout". Note, I haven't tweaked the font size so it's a little crummy:

In smart layout you can select the font and size, etc. Reflowing this book reorganizes all the text but the images no longer appear in the reflowed version, so the reflow is really going to be best for text only pdf files.

Last edited by Mark Rehorst; 10-12-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Reflow

Here's a page with two pictures followed by the reflowed text (with font size reduced). Note- the pictures are gone! They do not appear on the previous or next pages.

Original page:

Reflowed and font size reduced:
Old 10-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #10
MickeyMark
Learning to read...
MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: K3-3G, KDXG
I managed to install the Screen Saver/Font, and Screen Timeout, hacks on my K3. Now that I have a DXG, there are a bunch of hacks it want to install on it too.

I sure hope those guys in the Developer's Forum have made the installs idiot proof, because some of us (me) don't have a clue what we're doing. We just follow directions!

Anyway, for my DXG I want to install:

Screen Savers/Fonts
Screen Timeout
Update Firmware
Launchpad
Duokan

There may be more! I don't even know if these things are all compatible with each other!

Those developer guys are really great!
MickeyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist

Kindle TOC under Duokan

This is my biggest problem with Duokan. The TOC font is awful and the information displayed is nearly useless. Those Reuters news articles were loaded on different days but you can't tell which is which because the date isn't displayed.

Bringing up the additional info about the title doesn't show the date, either.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:49 PM   #12
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Personally I do not intend to hack my DXG just so I can play with a better pdf reader. On the few pdf's that I have that are not very readable I just use the k2pdfopt free program to transform the pdf file. You just need to play with the settings a bit (the default settings are for a k2/k2 6" screen) but the results are fantastic imho.

The k2pdfopt thread at;
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144546

Cheers,
TomC
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #13
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist

Installing Duokan isn't a "hack" in the sense that it changes nothing about the Kindle OS, it just boots before Kindle OS has a chance. You can freely switch between Duokan and Kindle at any time. Duokan does not interfere with updates from amazon either.

MR
Old 10-14-2011, 01:51 AM   #14
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
MR,

If it's not approved by Amazon, then it's a hack imho.

I'm sure that Amazon would approve Kindle applications like Duokan if they were correctly coded and followed Amazon's Kindle application guidlines. It's a pity that most of these hacked application guys do not follow this and then sell a proven product imho

Tom
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:54 AM   #15
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
MR,

If it's not approved by Amazon, then it's a hack imho.

I'm sure that Amazon would approve Kindle applications like Duokan if they were correctly coded and followed Amazon's Kindle application guidlines. It's a pity that most of these hacked application guys do not follow this and then sell a proven product imho

Tom
well i have to disagree with you. Even though i don't like the duokan team violate the GPL and not release the source code, it really is very hard to say that amazon would approve such an application.

Would Amazon say to the kindle DXG customers:

"Hey guys here is a free application called Duokan which can open epubs and view pdfs with manual zoom, contrast change etc which we delivered some of these functions to the kindle 3 users but never to you. Forgive our little faults and take this as a gift."

Last edited by reprep; 10-14-2011 at 05:12 AM.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote