Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
jenkins
jenkins began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Damaged screen, any way to format the text around this?

Hi, I haven't got an ebook reader yet, but a buddy has offered to sell me his old prs 505 for £20.
However the top right part of the screen is damaged so the first two lines won't display properly.
Is it possible to format my files so that there will be a gap there in a simple enough manner?
jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
s3ntient
s3ntient began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
If you don't mind converting your ebooks to PDFs, you can insert a top margin large enough to have no text in the damaged area. You can do this fairly easily with Calibre.
s3ntient is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
jenkins
jenkins began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
thanks man, you've just saved me 100 quid!
jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
You can change the margins on lrf files too, iirc. No need to use PDF and potentially lose images etc in reflow.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
If you are familiar with the command line, you can use pielrf. This is a powerful (if I do say so myself!) tool for formatting text and non-CSS HTML files to LRF. It takes arguments, and the one you're looking for is "--screenheight=HEIGHT" where you decrease the height to "push" the text down.

Code:
pielrf -i book-file.txt -o book-file.lrf -t "Book Title" -a "Author" --screenheight=670
After installation, just typing "pielrf" on the command line tells you the available options.

You can find the pielrf download and instructions in the following thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10752

You can also download Sony's Reader Software (free), and check the generated LRF and see if it fits your needs. While not required, pielrf looks for the "<chapter>" tag to start each chapter. I recommend you add this tag, as it gives you a nice TOC for navigation (among other things).

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
If you're not familiar with the command line: Just put your books under C:\
Put pielrf there, too.

Run -> cmd
cd..
cd..

and continue from there.

I find this usually easier when I'm doing any converting through commandline, as it's a lot less navigating around. :P
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Easier way is to use calibre to convert book to ePub and add the following extra CSS during conversion:

body { margin-top: 2em; }

You might need to adjust that to 3em or 4em. But that should push the text down below the damaged area.

Tags
prs 505, screen