Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
alexul
Connoisseur
alexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura about

Device: PB 360, Kobo Touch
Strange paging

Hi,
I just got a Kobo Touch and when registering it, it also updated to the latest firmwire.

I started reading a paper I had in PDF format and converted to epub through calibre. But on the device the paging is totally different. The PDF has 212 pages. but on device it always shows 376. This is independent from the font size, line spacing. At the font I currently use I have to read 2 pages to count as 1 page in the section "page x of 376".

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and what should I do to fix it?
Thank you very much
alexul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
I believe that a 'page' in epubs is 1024 characters. Don't expect it to correspond to the paging in a paper book.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
alexul
Connoisseur
alexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura about

I didn't expect or want that. But I expected a page to count as a page-turn or vice-versa. That is if I do 2 page turns to go from "page 10 of X" to "page 12 of X" not "page 11 of X". And that X to vary based on the font size and line spacing. Of course this is more of a personal preference because I used to have a reader that recalculated the pages based on these factors. I can live the way KT does it but I just wanted to see if there isn't any other option to configure this.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
alexul
Connoisseur

LE: yes, you were right. It seems the paging is handled by some reader engine and it is set to 1000 characters per page. I guess I have to get used to this
Old 01-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
G0AT
Addict
G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexul View Post
LE: yes, you were right. It seems the paging is handled by some reader engine and it is set to 1000 characters per page. I guess I have to get used to this
Yes, typically, epub uses a standard length of 1024 characters as one page. If you think about it, this actually makes sense, as it allows you to easily move between devices and find your page if the devices don't sync. I find it also to be convenient for comparing the lengths of books with one another.
G0AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert