Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Google Reveals Android 4.0 ( Ice Cream sandwich)... in short is slick...

Google and Samsung have joint released Androids newest OS Android 4.0.

Not only does the update come with tones of great features, the UI has been overhauled to look absolutely stunning.

As part of the "Google Experience" Samsung has partnered with Google to release the Nexus Prime.

Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) Features

>>>>>>>>> Nexus Prime Specs
  • HSPA+ or 4G LTE, depending on region
  • 1.2GHz dualcore processor
  • 4.65 inch 720p HD Super AMOLED display
  • Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
  • 5mp autofocus camera with LED flash, autofocus, no shutter lag and fast shot2shot
  • 1080p HD playback and recording at 30 FPS
  • Bluetooth 3.0
  • USB 2.0
  • WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n
  • NFC chip
  • Accelerometer, compass, gyro, light and proximity sensors, barometer
  • 1GB of RAM
  • 16GB or 32GB internal storage
  • 135.5 x 67.94 x 8.94 mm, 135 grams
  • 1,750 mAh li-ion battery
=X=

Last edited by =X=; 10-19-2011 at 01:10 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Can't wait to try the face recognition unlock.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
looks like a big improvement.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Ah. A smartphone. With some features. How exciting.

So what's the over/under on the time it takes for this thread to become a Android vs. iOS slugfest?
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
That all looks pretty cool. I rather like the camera functions, personally.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Can't wait to try the face recognition unlock.
That is a very cool feature. One of my favorite features, as little as it is, is the text selection and spell checker. This is something I really missed from my BB days. I'm excited to have it back as it will make writing text much much improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
Ah. A smartphone. With some features. How exciting.

So what's the over/under on the time it takes for this thread to become a Android vs. iOS slugfest?
Um... You just started it.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
One of my favorite features, as little as it is, is the text selection and spell checker.
I saw improved copy/paste as a new feature-what did they change?
Old 10-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Um... You just started it.
Oops! Didn't mean to, honest.

In my defense, I did not say anything negative towards either, so it's not a slugfest. (Yet.)
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Perhaps by this time next year there'll be a tablet with this that interests me. Trying to get at least 9-10 months out of my Sony.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I saw improved copy/paste as a new feature-what did they change?
Before cut/copy/paste was awkward at best. It did work but inconsistent across apps. Basic apps it was no problem. But apps that enabled a lot of editing linke email and word processors had to implement their own solution.

The cut/copy/paste API now is unified across all fronts and acts more like MS Word. You just select the text and a menu comes up to cut/copy text. To re-arrange the text just drag and drop it.

Also on spell checker you just select the word and it will drop down a menu of suggested words.

=X=
Old 10-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
Oops! Didn't mean to, honest.

In my defense, I did not say anything negative towards either, so it's not a slugfest. (Yet.)
LOL just giving you grief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Perhaps by this time next year there'll be a tablet with this that interests me. Trying to get at least 9-10 months out of my Sony.
I'll be happy if the Note gets this.

BTW I don't think you'll last 10mo. With quad cores, ICS, and HD screens around the corner hm hm temptation will be too great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
That all looks pretty cool. I rather like the camera functions, personally.
I agree they made a lot of little tweaks when summed up will make the experience excellent.

Last edited by =X=; 10-19-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #12
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Looks good. My contract is up in February. I was thinking of going iPhone 4S, but this is definitely going to make me think hard. Decisions,decisions...
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #13
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
I only care if they stick to their word and keep Android open source like it ought to be - none of this Honeycomb "oh, but it won't look good on other devices" nonsense.

Provided that happens, looks like a much-needed facelift. My ole' Incredible runs 2.2 with HTC Sense, and I can't say I have any complaints. For a smartphone, it's quite tough and it does what I want it to well. But when I'm up for an upgrade, it'll be nice to see some slicker Android OS's out there.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #14
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
i wish i could get this since the google branded phones arent infected with nearly the amount of bloatware that most verizon phones are infected with (no other carrier covers rural wisconsin) i tried a motorola bionic for a week from verizon and it had 60 preloaded apps that were unremovable without voiding warranty Verizons massive amount of bloatware is the only thing keeping me from an android phone.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #15
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
i wish i could get this since the google branded phones arent infected with nearly the amount of bloatware that most verizon phones are infected with (no other carrier covers rural wisconsin) i tried a motorola bionic for a week from verizon and it had 60 preloaded apps that were unremovable without voiding warranty Verizons massive amount of bloatware is the only thing keeping me from an android phone.
Good news! With ICS you can actually uninstall or disable pre-installed apps!

Tags
android, nexus