Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Nested headings?

Is it possible to create a nested TOC in Sigil? I mean say you have two books in one file and want to have a main TOC with just the titles that you can click on to take you to the actual TOC for one of the books is that possible? Or is it just the one main TOC with the titles and their seperate chapters all in one?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Is it possible to create a nested TOC in Sigil? I mean say you have two books in one file and want to have a main TOC with just the titles that you can click on to take you to the actual TOC for one of the books is that possible? Or is it just the one main TOC with the titles and their seperate chapters all in one?
I doo the following with Omnibus editions:
h1 Book Cover Title
h2 book1
h3 chapters for book 1
h2 Book 2
h3 chapters for book 2

h3's will nest under their preceding h2's
h2's nest under their h1's
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Of course. Use nested <hx> tags. E.g. <h1> for the main TOC, <h2> for the chapters within each <h1>, etc.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I doo the following with Omnibus editions:
h1 Book Cover Title
h2 book1
h3 chapters for book 1
h2 Book 2
h3 chapters for book 2

h3's will nest under their preceding h2's
h2's nest under their h1's
This of course it not multiple TOC's but only one multilevel TOC. Some reading applications mayy just show them all in a one list anyway if they do not support multilevel display.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

continuing that theme - I have several trilogies each consisting of 3 separate epub books.

how simple ( or not ) is it to use sigil to make an omnibus editions of 3 books in one ?

i.e. merge 3 epubs into one large one with a single nested TOC as discussed above ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Very simple. Just use the headers and your done. Keep the main book <h1>, the chapters <h2> and so on.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
continuing that theme - I have several trilogies each consisting of 3 separate epub books.

how simple ( or not ) is it to use sigil to make an omnibus editions of 3 books in one ?

i.e. merge 3 epubs into one large one with a single nested TOC as discussed above ?
On import Sigil will create a separate stylesheet for each. Even if they are really the same.
A simple edit to change the "link" entry, then you can delete the 'extra' from the book browser for a 'tighter' EPUB.
Having the proper headings before merging will result in a 'nested TOC.
Note, the Metadata will need to be edited to reflect the books included.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #8
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
On import Sigil will create a separate stylesheet for each. Even if they are really the same.
A simple edit to change the "link" entry, then you can delete the 'extra' from the book browser for a 'tighter' EPUB.
Having the proper headings before merging will result in a 'nested TOC.
Note, the Metadata will need to be edited to reflect the books included.
thanks - will try that out when I'm next feeling adventurous.

I guess to complete the project I should then create a front page which lists & links to the 3 component "books"
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
thanks - will try that out when I'm next feeling adventurous.

I guess to complete the project I should then create a front page which lists & links to the 3 component "books"
If you did it 'right' , the TOC will already have all the links (h2=book# titlepage):

The first book (in my method) is the only one that might need a 'Master cover/titlepage/copyright notice' stuff in the front.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:49 AM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually I meant having a page with just the titles of the books as a clickable link to the books so there aren't so many links (for book chapters) all on the same page.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Actually I meant having a page with just the titles of the books as a clickable link to the books so there aren't so many links (for book chapters) all on the same page.
What you describe sounds like a "inline" TOC (just another page).
The TOC on mye ADE device is accesses with a "Catalog" key/menu choice.
The TOC is collapsed (only the next layer shows), unlike the TOC shown in Sigil or Calibre, which is shown fully expanded.
Inline TOC is not part of the EPUB spec (although it is not prohibited, either)
You will need to code and maintain it by hand., if you want one.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

I found two pieces of code to do with links. I'm not sure which is the right one for that.
<a href="#tips">Visit the Useful Tips Section</a>
or
<a name="tips">Useful Tips Section</a>
Or do I have to put one in one place and the other in the actual book files?
I just think it would make for a neater looking ebook file when building an omnibus book.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I found two pieces of code to do with links. I'm not sure which is the right one for that.
<a href="../Text/filename.xhtml#tips">Visit the Useful Tips Section</a>
or
<a name="tips">Useful Tips Section</a>
Or do I have to put one in one place and the other in the actual book files?
I just think it would make for a neater looking ebook file when building an omnibus book.
The link you as you showed is problematic (it implies same page and is fragile.

Adding the part in green makes the TOC link more robust

The other part is the anchor where it will jump to in the named file

(I don't use this feature, so be sure to validate with FC )
Old 04-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Oops... I had written nonsense here.

Last edited by Jellby; 04-11-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Actually I was just referring to an example I had found online while searching.