Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
bookjunky
bookjunky began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook lite, occasionally netbook, Kindle 3
Need something that will handle pdb format - the old ereader standard

My jetbook is turning into a lemon and I am looking for a reliable device that will still handle pdb format books. I mean I have like 8gb's worth of pdb's. It was a sad day when my trusty palm os pda died. Smart-phones really suck as reading devices. And I really don't have much money to spend on a reader.
bookjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I know I answered your other question on the Kindle forum but you might want to check on the nook forum to see if that device will meet your needs. I believe the nook displays pdb files natively. I don't own one to test it out. You can pick up a refurb nook wifi on Overstock/buy.com etc usually for around $119. I still prefer the Kindle but since price is an issue that might really appeal to you.

I'd still get them into Calibre and convert them to something current. Mobi or ePub or something. Protect your investment.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I suggest the Bebook 2010 because it supports a lot of formats, and I just checked, and pdb is one of them. I'm pretty happy with my Bebooks, they have lots of page turning buttons, right where I want them. mybebook.com
Or I guess it is time to download Calibre and brush up your command line and batch file skills.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
You have any qualms about buying a new Jet Book? If you jet book has treated you right for a good long time then I don't see why a new jet book shouldn't be in your future. My Libra Pro can't do pdb so thats out.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:56 PM   #5
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

or the OP could hunt up a used PDA on eBay to replace the missed PDA. I still use a couple of my old PDA's and even have one old Sony left but I use it only sparingly to keep it working as long as possible.

BTW, are the old PDB files hooked to your PDA's PID? If so isn't there a way to remove that now?
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
If the OP means eReader by PDB, then the key is contained in the file and is generated by a combination of the persons full name and credit card. This DRM has no device limit or expiration as it is not tired to a device and does not need to be validated by a remote server.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I've successfully loaded a few of my old DRM'ed eReader pdb books onto my nook, so I know it can be done. I did it quite a while ago, but don't remember it being too difficult. The hardest part was trying to remember the exact name and credit card # I used when I initially purchased the book!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookjunky View Post
My jetbook is turning into a lemon and I am looking for a reliable device that will still handle pdb format books. I mean I have like 8gb's worth of pdb's. It was a sad day when my trusty palm os pda died. Smart-phones really suck as reading devices. And I really don't have much money to spend on a reader.
The cheapest E-Ink ereader seems to be the Kindle 3 WiFi. It can't read pdb natively, but Calibre will happily convert them to Mobipocket for you (and a plugin is available to strip the DRM if necessary).

Oh - and 8GB?! Wow. My ebooks take up only 1.4GB, not counting the classics I have from Mobileread (another 0.6GB).

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-19-2011 at 03:57 PM. Reason: 8GB? Wow.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:35 AM   #9
bookjunky
bookjunky began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook lite, occasionally netbook, Kindle 3
Calibre is not liking my mac very well and does not perform consistently without reinstalling it every other time I want to use it. As far as the jetbook goes I have only had it since last fall.

Thought about picking up a used pda on ebay but withe the age of the devices it is such a roll of the die and I cannot afford to drop any money on a device that may die in 2 months. Been there did that on a palm before I got the jetbook. Palms that were heavily used had about a 3 year life span and it has been longer than tha since they quit making them.
bookjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #10
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookjunky View Post
Calibre is not liking my mac very well and does not perform consistently without reinstalling it every other time I want to use it. As far as the jetbook goes I have only had it since last fall.

Thought about picking up a used pda on ebay but withe the age of the devices it is such a roll of the die and I cannot afford to drop any money on a device that may die in 2 months. Been there did that on a palm before I got the jetbook. Palms that were heavily used had about a 3 year life span and it has been longer than tha since they quit making them.
Think Sony Clie NX73v or the next version. Built like tanks and I know several people who have used the 73v's since they first came out in, as I recall, 2003 or 2004. Only worriesome part is the on-off switch but those can be fixed at a reasonable price if you aren't handy with a slaughtering iron. And the battery takes about 2-minutes to replace even though Sony claimed it voided your warranty. I believe it's one or two screws and it's out. I have repaired one switch and showed them how to do their own battery sway every few years.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:56 PM   #11
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I think the Nook is the only dedicated ebook reader that reads *ereader* PDB files, rather than PalmDOC PDB files. EReader is a proprietary format. Several other filetypes have the .pdb extension.

If the files are PalmDOC, created with Aportis or something like that, the BeBook, Jinke and a few other ebook readers will read them. If they were made with EReader's program (Dropbook or the paid version), or purchased as DRM'd eReader files, they'll need a Nook, or to be converted to another format.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote