Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-22-2010, 10:30 PM   #16
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
I have seen police video of a ballistics expert propelled backwards through a plate glass wall from the force of the recoil of the shotgun he was testing.
You aren’t talking about this one are you?

Watching the bolt being worked I would guess that they're chambering something around 50 caliber.

Watching how some of these jokers are shouldering the rifle makes me want to cry at their sheer stupidity.

Bllistics expert my a%%
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:09 PM   #17
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
There was a TV series in the '70s (?) where they measured time in parsecs.

"It won't ruin a book for me though."

Same here. But I like words. And sometimes how they are used makes me flinch.

Examples -
A plastic cased radio on sale "Titanium Radio". Titanium sounds good, so it must be a good radio.
Grand Opening is supposed to be a special event. Special discounts, food, entertainment. Something of a celebration. Instead it now means - "We're open".
Even the word "special" has lost the meaning of "better than ordinary". It can now mean mentally handicapped or physically disabled.

"Now new and improved!"

"The victim was horribly mutilated!"

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:22 PM   #18
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
"Now new and improved!"

Don
"Now better than ever". Like the old product was cr##?

""The victim was pleasantly mutilated!" Attila the Hun.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #19
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
You aren’t talking about this one are you?
Watching the bolt being worked I would guess that they're chambering something around 50 caliber.

Watching how some of these jokers are shouldering the rifle makes me want to cry at their sheer stupidity.

Bllistics expert my a%%
Definitely not that video, what a bunch of yo-yos. Do you know the context of that display?

The one I saw involved a guy shooting downward into the container with the ballistics gel. The force of the recoil propels him backwards through the safety glass wall. The people involved were professionals. My google-fu is not as strong as yours, I didn't even find your video when I went looking.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #20
SameOldStory
My True Self

This is what I found for the above video.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #21
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
This is what I found for the above video.
Thanks, I didn't think to just go straight to youtube for a search. My video's not there ( I searched "ballistics testing recoil") but I'm not surprised.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #22
SameOldStory
My True Self

I can't find a "police video", but here is more on the above video.

.557 Tyrannosaur

Yes. This will kick. Hold it VERY tight to your shoulder.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:42 PM   #23
SameOldStory
My True Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
"Now new and improved!"

Don
Back on topic.

The above reminds me of young solders and callow youth.

"Look at this bad boy.", or "You own that bad boy?"

They can be talking about a paper clip or a Mazarati and it will be "A bad boy."
Old 05-23-2010, 11:53 PM   #24
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
What Bugs Me

Wow, so many to choose from. If I had to pick one from science fiction I guess it would have to be the Asteroid Thicket. Spaceships dodging and hiding among the dense field of huge tumbling asteroids between Jupiter and Mars (or similar belts in other star systems). So exciting!

Except that in reality the average asteroid size is that of a fist and the average distance of separation is 3 million kilometers. Oops. (Edit: IIRC, I may be off a little. But it's still nearly vacuum.)

Last edited by Dellaster; 05-23-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:43 AM   #25
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Factual inaccuracy in historical fiction bugs me.

A few days ago I was chatting to a friend, who teaches history, about the social position of women through the ages. We got on the the subject of witch hunts. I remarked that if we were living in the middle ages I'd be burned at the stake because I live alone with lots of cats and have a small burn which looks a little like a nipple. After joking around, she pointed out that I would have been hanged, not burnt, because burning was only used on the continent, not in England. Even the Salem witches in the U.S. were hanged.

After she'd gone, I started reading a book which opened with an execution: burning at the stake. The book was set in Elizabethan england at the time of religious persecution.

I read something else!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:30 AM   #26
hols57
hols57
hols57 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 300packed up -thanks,Sony!) Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
How about those mysteries that string you along for hundreds of pages and then are not solved at all? I'm thinking of Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Høeg. I felt cheated when I finished that one.

That book is one of my pet 'All time bad reads' because of that! I really felt cheated!
hols57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:38 PM   #27
SameOldStory
My True Self

One thing I liked about some of the witch trials was that they used empirical evidence. Tie the witch up and drop her in the pond. if she floats back up then she is pure (like Ivory soap I guess) and innocent.

One place where they had it all wrong is that the witch is an ugly old hag. Come on! First deal with the devil - I want to be young and pretty.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #28
piper10
piper10 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.piper10 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.piper10 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.piper10 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle 2, iPad, PW2
How about when someone writes "gaff" instead of "gaffe"?

I *do* love editors.
piper10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:23 PM   #29
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2

Quote:
One place where they had it all wrong is that the witch is an ugly old hag. Come on! First deal with the devil - I want to be young and pretty.
Me too!

They probably were young and pretty, hence the stabbing of various places on their (presumably naked) bodies to find the "devil's nipple".

BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote