Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
jinlo
aka coco jinlo
jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just purchased Sony 505, but alas, it is for the wife
Process for creating several eBook formats from MS Word doc

I am just about finished with my latest novel and I am preparing to make it available for free as a DRM-free download in several different formats. In the past, I’ve done this in a piecemeal fashion because I was not aware of all the different format types available when I started.

This time, I would like to be more efficient in my process. I am still, however, very new to this and I would like to review my general plan in front of others in order to get any assistance that might be available.

The novel is in one large MS Word doc. There are no pictures, other than the book cover, and no complicated tables, graphs, or other attachments.

I intend to take the following steps in the order they are listed:

1. Use the “Read In Microsoft” Command to create a .lit file directly from the open document in Word.

2. Use the “Save As…” Command to create a text file in Plain text (.txt) directly from the open document.

3. Use “Mobipocket Creator Home Edition” to import the existing MS word file and then create a Mobipocket version in .prc format.

4. With calibre, use the “Add books” command to include the .lit version into the library, then use the “Convert E-books” Command in calibre on the .lit version to create EPUB, LRF, and MOBI versions.

5. Finally, create a pdf file with either CutePDF or some other tool. It’s been a while since I’ve done this conversion, so I honestly don’t remember what I’ve used in the past.

At this point, I’m about a week or two away from beginning the conversion process. I just wanted to throw the basic plan out there to see if anyone had any suggestions, or if I’m making some serious blunders in my intended scheme.

Thanks,

Jeff Inlo
jinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Step 4 makes step 3 redundant. The PRC version is the MOBI version. The only difference is the suffix.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
You might want to try the BookCreator 2.8 beta (download )

You can import your Word doc into BookCreator and create LIT/MOBI/ePUB/LRF and IMP from within BookCreator (BookCreator is a MS Word templare with Macros optimized for creating eBooks. (this tool also used calibre). The LIT file calibre creates is the best I've seen even better than commercial eBooks.

If that is not an option I'd recommend you just create a MOBI file from "MobiPocket Creator". calibre's MOBI are not as good as those created with MobiPocket Creator

Import the MOBI file to calibre and create your files from there.
You'll have to run "any2LIT" from the command line since LIT creation is not inclueded in the GUI yet.

Or you can create everyting form the command line once you've created your MOBI file from MobiPocket Creator.

any2lit MY-eBook.mobi
any2epub MY-eBook.mobi
any2LRF MY-eBook.mobi

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
jinlo
aka coco jinlo
jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nate and =X=,

Thank you both for reviewing my note and posting your input. I appreciate it.

I will look into these options and experiment.

Since the PRC and MOBI files appear to be redundant, perhaps instead of a PRC file, I will include an html version. I'm guessing there might be a better way to make an html file than the "Save as Web Page" option in word, so I'll have to check on that as well.

Most likely I will be returning when I begin the process as I'm sure I will have additional questions.

Thanks again,

Jeff Inlo
Old 06-05-2009, 03:18 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinlo View Post
Since the PRC and MOBI files appear to be redundant, perhaps instead of a PRC file, I will include an html version.
Jeff Inlo
No, No, PRC and Mobi files are not redundant. They are equivalent, and you only need one or the other. But you would be losing a good part of your potential audience if you did neither.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:55 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would definitely create an HTML version. The plain text version seems rather redundant - who would want it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:24 AM   #7
jinlo
aka coco jinlo

Alex and Harry:

Thanks for posting.

Alex, I won't be removing the MOBI file. Just the PRC file. I'll still make sure the MOBI is available.

Harry, I will almost definitely include an html version. I just have to figure out the best way to do that. As for the plain text version, I've actually received quite a few requests for that. I have no idea why.

Jeff Inlo
Old 06-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I always use save as - filtered html and then put it in a zip file and import it into Calibre. From Calibre you can generate mobi/prc and ePUB. I also use the direct LIT generation capability.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
If you decide to use Mobipocket Creator, use the professional version. It's also free and will import your word document directly. If you know how to set up TOC and chapter links in MSword, these will also come across with your document.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinlo View Post
1. Use the “Read In Microsoft” Command to create a .lit file directly from the open document in Word.
Where is this command? Which menu?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Where is this command? Which menu?
If you go to the Microsoft site you can download this free addon for word. You will then have an icon to generate the LIT output.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote