Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-06-2011, 01:43 AM   #16
Joyful
Connoisseur
Joyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kobo
A friend of mine has just upgraded the software on her WiFi Kobo to 1.9 and is now having the same issue of long metadata uploads. She wasn't having any issues before the upgrade.
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:52 AM   #17
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The fact that the issue starts with a firmware upgrade strongly suggests it is basically a Kobo issue rather than a Calibre one.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:09 AM   #18
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
A friend of mine has just upgraded the software on her WiFi Kobo to 1.9 and is now having the same issue of long metadata uploads. She wasn't having any issues before the upgrade.
In the next release (0.8) there is going to be a user defined device driver. Chaley talks about it below, you might want to give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
There is a new device driver in the next release (0.8.0 I think) that allows you to customize where books go. The driver plugin name is User Defined. The intent was to supply a driver that can be used for rooted or non-standard devices, but it can also replace standard device drivers.

You specify three things to set it up:
- The USB IDs to match your device.
- For Windows, the names of the drives for the device for both main memory and a card.
- The root folders for books in main memory and the card.
There is a function in preferences -> miscellaneous to help you get the correct USB IDs and (on windows) the drive names.

If you use this driver to replace an existing one, you must disable the original or it will match (and connect) first.

Note that this driver provides no device-specific functionality. For example, it doesn't know about Sony collections, Kindle annotations, and the Nook Color magazine special case. It provides functions similar to connect-to-folder, but with automatic connection and main + SD card capability.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #19
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
Hi

Sorry for the delay. I just tried on Windows XP and I am seeing 24 seconds to simply update the metadata for one record.

I am not sure though when I will be able to look for the reason.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:07 AM   #20
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
I'm not concerned as I need to charge the Kobo anyhow usually but I'm seeing the same problem. Over 7 minutes to update the metadata. While I'm currently on Windows 7 and version 0.8 of Calibre I also was having the same problem on Windows XP with an older version of Calibre.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:45 AM   #21
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
BTW I've added more books to my Kobo and the time taken has increased from 7m 47s to 8m 10s. The time is very consistent plus or minus 1 or 2 seconds when I only add 1 or 2 books but is slowly increasing as I add more books.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I think some of this may be the re-write of metadata.calibre (the list oflast known books on your device).
Mine is now 12.5M for 2146 books
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #23
slieveen
slieveen began at the beginning.

Device: JuliusvonJD
On a single ereader, why would you want more than 100 books? I have 5000 ebooks in my Calibre Library on the PC but but on my kindle I have four collections: 50 unread novels, 20 humor books, 20 non-fiction, and 8 reference.

These numbers fluctuate as I read through the books and I add to the ereader as I come across anything new that I want to read right away.

Unless you're kidnapped and held in a cave somewhere with your charger and an electrical outlet, it's unlikely that you need many more books than this on any portable device at any given time. Moreover, Calibre has a far superior library management capability on a PC than that found on any dedicated ereader.

By limiting the number of books on your device and ensuring that you have selected "manual management" in Preferences > Sending data to devices, I would hope that your load times were measured in a few seconds per upload.

Of course I'm no expert and only relating my experience with this excellent software when used with two kindle 3's, a Sony PRS 350, and a Hipstreet Reader. In all cases metadata transfers take seconds per book.
slieveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #24
Joyful
Connoisseur
Joyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmos

Quote:
I think some of this may be the re-write of metadata.calibre (the list oflast known books on your device).
Mine is now 12.5M for 2146 books.
Hmmm, so if I do a factory reset then I may see metadata upload times come down but the more books I add the longer the times will get?

I'm reluctant to do a factory reset of my Kobo because if it doesn't help then it's going to take a loooonng time to reload my books.

I'm concerned that not too many people are reporting this problem. Does that mean that this is specific to just a few Kobos or are there not that many people with the upgrade that use Calibre and post here?

Quote:
On a single ereader, why would you want more than 100 books? I have 5000 ebooks in my Calibre Library on the PC but but on my kindle I have four collections: 50 unread novels, 20 humor books, 20 non-fiction, and 8 reference.

These numbers fluctuate as I read through the books and I add to the ereader as I come across anything new that I want to read right away.

Unless you're kidnapped and held in a cave somewhere with your charger and an electrical outlet, it's unlikely that you need many more books than this on any portable device at any given time. Moreover, Calibre has a far superior library management capability on a PC than that found on any dedicated ereader.
I like to read more than one book at a time and I like to have them all or most of them with me . It's just easier and works for me. (and the Kobo comes preloaded with 100 books).

Quote:
By limiting the number of books on your device and ensuring that you have selected "manual management" in Preferences > Sending data to devices, I would hope that your load times were measured in a few seconds per upload.
I would like to use my Kobo to it's full potential.
I do have manual management selected.
I would hope so too but that's not the reality.

The problem seems to be on my Windows 7 and my XP machines.
I updated Calibre to 8.2.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:57 AM   #25
Joyful
Connoisseur

I finally did a factory reset and and my metadata upload times went from 14-17 minutes to a few seconds!
I've added quite a few of my books back and upload times remain very short.