Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 06-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
Stephanos
Connoisseur
Stephanos doesn't litterStephanos doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Question re new copyright guidelines

I have been working on a "Complete Works" of Aristotle comprising the translations published by the Jowett Trustees at Oxford between 1908 and 1931. Each of the translations has an individual translator named, but in the 1984 revision Jonathan Barnes indicated that the Jowett Trustees own the copyright to the collection: "... in 1976, the Jowett Trustees, in whom the copyright of the Translation lies, determined to commission a revision of the entire text." Please bear in mind that I propose to upload the early 20th-century translations, not the revision he refers to.

The question is, who is the "author" in this case according to the new rules for this website? It would seem that this is a case of "corporate ownership", which in the US has a (ridiculous in my opinion) 95-year copyright term for works after 1923. However, I cannot find anything about such a "corporate" provision in Swiss copyright law.

This issue also has relevance to the culling of the library to enforce the new rules. The late Patricia uploaded several of the individual translations of the series, including some made by W.D. Ross, who died in 1971. See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19865
Stephanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
Stephanos
Connoisseur
Stephanos doesn't litterStephanos doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Harry T answered my question by private message. The gist of his answer is that in the EU the copyright is in effect until 70 years after the death of the author of the work even when the copyright is legally owned by a corporation, trust, or other "legal person". So in my case I have to try to find the year in which each of the translators died in order to determine whether I can upload individual translations to this site.
Stephanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert