Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
OPF & guide

Does anyone know if there is Epub reading software that uses the guide tags of the OPF file? I'd like to know if I can leave it undeveloped.

Thank you.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Here is from the most recent conversion using Calibre from MS Reader to ePub and the guide tags are used.

Code:
  <guide>
    <reference href="titlepage.xhtml" type="cover" title="Cover"/>
    <reference href="huntersthe_split_0.html#cop" type="copyright-page" title="Copyright link"/>
    <reference href="huntersthe_split_5.html#contents" type="toc" title="Table of Contents"/>
    <reference href="huntersthe_split_0.html#cop" type="title-page" title="About this title link"/>
  </guide>
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here is from the most recent conversion using Calibre from MS Reader to ePub and the guide tags are used.

Code:
  <guide>
    <reference href="titlepage.xhtml" type="cover" title="Cover"/>
    <reference href="huntersthe_split_0.html#cop" type="copyright-page" title="Copyright link"/>
    <reference href="huntersthe_split_5.html#contents" type="toc" title="Table of Contents"/>
    <reference href="huntersthe_split_0.html#cop" type="title-page" title="About this title link"/>
  </guide>
I just checked, and I beleive that was copied over from the OPF inside the MSReader ebook. Just becuase it's there doesn't mean anything uses it.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre uses the type="cover" entry in <guide> in epub books to know if the first entry in the spine is a cover or not. So if the user specifies their own cover and then re-converts, the original cover is replaced instead of becmoing the second item in the spine
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Does anyone know if there is Epub reading software that uses the guide tags of the OPF file? I'd like to know if I can leave it undeveloped.
The guide section is in OPF 2.0 for backwards compatibility reasons, I think. From the OPF spec:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPF 2.0
Reading Systems are not required to use the guide element in any way.
Because of this, few reading systems will support it. It also (poorly) duplicates the functionality of the NCX, that is, a presentable Table Of Contents. It's pretty much useless.

BTW Sigil doesn't create it and it will strip it from your input epub if it has one.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
BTW Sigil doesn't create it and it will strip it from your input epub if it has one.
Could you change that to leave type="cover" alone, there's no other way to know if the first element in the spine is a cover or not.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Could you change that to leave type="cover" alone, there's no other way to know if the first element in the spine is a cover or not.
Create an issue for it and I'll see what I can do.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
calibre uses the type="cover" entry in <guide> in epub books to know if the first entry in the spine is a cover or not. So if the user specifies their own cover and then re-converts, the original cover is replaced instead of becmoing the second item in the spine
I don't like how you generate the cover, but since this is relatively easy to accommodate I will.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I don't like how you generate the cover, but since this is relatively easy to accommodate I will.
How would you generate the cover?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How would you generate the cover?
There are several possibilities:

autodetection,
have a check box in the spine creation step for "first item is a cover",
prompt the user to add it it by hand,
and I'm sure there are a couple other ways it could be done.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:42 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

BTW, I wouldn't generate the cover; I'd simply create a reference to it if it existed.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Whether the cover is generated or not is immaterial, the point is that given an epub file, if the user wants software to automatically replace the existing cover the only way the software can know that the file has an existing cover is via the guide.

This is not an issue for an editing software like Sigil, since the user can just manually remove the cover, but it is for an automatic converter like calibre.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #13
Valloric

Quote:
This is not an issue for an editing software like Sigil, since the user can just manually remove the cover, but it is for an automatic converter like calibre.
This leads me to my main problem with this idea: I can't force the user to place a chapter break after an image and then somehow semantically mark this chapter/XHTML file as one containing the cover only. How would such a UI option even look like? How would it be presented to the user in a simple and understandable way? And honestly, why should the user care? If I were creating an epub book and would have no intention of messing with it in calibre, I would not do this. It would have no tangible benefit to me.

I also wouldn't want to do this automatically on export, not in an editor. An editor (unlike a converter) should never change the structure of the document the user sees in the editor. WYSIWYG means something very specific.

I would welcome suggestions on how could this be handled, because I can't see how it can be.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #14
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Whether the cover is generated or not is immaterial, the point is that given an epub file, if the user wants software to automatically replace the existing cover the only way the software can know that the file has an existing cover is via the guide.

Wouldn't a first page consisting solely of an image be a reasonably certain indication that it is a cover... regardless of whether the metadata also attests it to be?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #15
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Wouldn't a first page consisting solely of an image be a reasonably certain indication that it is a cover... regardless of whether the metadata also attests it to be?
Define "first page".

Also, what happens when the user loads in an epub comic book?