Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-08-2015, 02:40 PM   #151
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My experience is that book readers sell very well and fetch good prices, but you need to sell them at the right time, when they're still reasonably current. I've resold almost all the readers that I've bought over the years, and often got prices for them that are as much as three quarters of what I paid for them.
That's what I've found too. I now have three readers, two current models, the Kobo H20 and the Voyage, and an old Kobo Glo I'd never sell anyway. The H20 is probably safe as its waterproof but I replace my Voyage i'd sell it straight away, especially as I have a transferable Warrenty with it too.

You can't hold onto ereaders as they become worthless.

Last edited by Josieb1; 04-08-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:57 AM   #152
iluvgadgets
Connoisseur
iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.iluvgadgets has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle paperwhite
I held mine old readers too long , no trade or sell value now really . I'll just pass them on to goodwill or maybe donate to a library or school.
iluvgadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:20 PM   #153
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Try Craigslist. You might be able to get a few pennies for your e-readers. I sold a Kindle 4 NT on there recently. It can't hurt and if no one expresses any interest, you're out of nothing except the time you spent creating the posting.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:17 AM   #154
ernieh
Connoisseur
ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch, kobo mini, Icarus Xl, Likebook Mars, Kobo Forma, Pocketboo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
Have had many computers, tablets laptops netbooks etc all of them obviously capable of reading but sticking to dedicated readers with the help of my wife the tally is as follows. Elonex, CoolEr, 2 Irivers, Cybook Orizon, Kobo touch, Kobo Mini, 2 Prestigio Per3464B and a Verso. All of these are e ink except for the Verso which is a LCD dedicated e reader. That is a total of 10 of which 2 have died, the CoolEr and one of the Irivers. The Kobo mini and the Prestigios are in reserve. The thing which has made it worse is that it is very difficult to get readers in South Africa (no one actually reads so no demand) so you tend to jump in when they are available. I am sure some of you have never heard of some of the brands above, I think they sell excess production in SA under a strange brand name. For example they sold a simple but smart e reader (which for once I don't have) called an A-Tek which I am sure very few have heard of.
I believe it was actually an Icarus which name is also fairly unknown.
It seems that very few can make a go of selling e readers so try to make the money from book sales of which Kindle and Kobo are particularly egregious examples. I have never used the Kobo store and the wifi has never been switched on and as for the restrictive Kindle I would never go close. When paying for e books I get them from local independent sellers.
I find this thread interesting as I am sure it is the only place unknown brands of e readers are mentioned and it is a good searchable place where the curious can start their research.
Since my previous list of readers I obtained a 6 inch Icarus Illumina and a 8 inch Icarus Illumina and a Kobo touch that I had to get as it was dirt cheap as seller could not sell them. The 8 Illumina the low resolution one. Just recently I got the high resolution Likebook Mars, a very similar machine to the Icarus which is a now defunct rebranding and software replacement organization. Surviving readers are the Mars, both Icaruses, 2 Kobo touches, an Iriver, a Kobo mini and a Prestigio, all other on my previous list have been disposed of or broken or bricked by my experimentation with firmware.

Last edited by ernieh; 09-08-2020 at 03:43 AM.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:48 AM   #155
Heim
Zealot
Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Heim knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I have three. A Kindle PW that I used for many years. Eventually I decided to switch to Kobo. I bought a Kobo Clara and enjoyed using that for a little while. Today, however, I received my Kobo Forma. I may be selling the Clara eventually.
Heim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:58 AM   #156
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Lol, my e-ink collection seems to have ballooned.

unused
Sony PRS-350

seldom used
Kobo Aura HD
Kindle Paperwhite 2
Kobo Glo HD

frequently used
Kindle Paperwhite 3
Kindle Paperwhite 4

Got multiples of both the PW3 and PW4 once I got into jailbreaking so I have JB backups for when Amazon blocks exploits.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:59 AM   #157
maximus83
Nameless Being

Years ago I had several Kindles for myself and my kids, made the mistake of trading them in, which was a huge rip-off. I should've sold them on ebay to get a better price, after hearing what @HarryT was able to get for his. Thanks Harry.

Now, all I have is a PW4--by far the best small reader I've ever had--and a Kobo Forma, the best premium reader I've ever laid hands on. And my usual menagerie of Android devices, which I seem to accumulate like my wife does antiques. :-)
Old 05-13-2019, 10:09 AM   #158
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
Years ago I had several Kindles for myself and my kids, made the mistake of trading them in, which was a huge rip-off. I should've sold them on ebay to get a better price, after hearing what @HarryT was able to get for his. Thanks Harry.
I got $5 gift card + $45 discount = $50 for a broken PW3 that I traded in. If my Kindle had been working, I would've gotten $25 GC+$45 discount = $70.

I don't believe I could've gotten better than that on ebay plus I'd have deal with fees, shipping and potential scammers.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:40 PM   #159
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I've just traded in ereaders that were not working well. Would have received maybe $8 for parts for them on Ebay, so trade-in was a deal. Same with the Fire. The wifi was no longer working and traded it in for a new Fire with some improved features. Still have lots of older ereaders and they get used monthly or are sold.

I'm down to 3 Voyages, PW2, PW3, Basic 7 (2), Basic 8, Touch, Kindle 5, Kindle Keyboard (4) and Nook Glo3 plus 2 Fire 8s and one Fire 7 (mostly used for a Calibre library).

Last edited by Tarana; 05-13-2019 at 07:44 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:28 AM   #160
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
So far I've never sold or traded in any of my devices. I will give older ones I'm not using anymore to family members or friends that are still in good working condition.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:34 AM   #161
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
So far I've never sold or traded in any of my devices. I will give older ones I'm not using anymore to family members or friends that are still in good working condition.
I do that for smartphones and tablets.

Alas, most of my friends/family are not interested in dedicated e-readers and those that are already have their own (usually newer model).
Old 05-14-2019, 02:24 PM   #162
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
For me, I started with a Kobo Mini that I held onto until last month when I tearfully parted with it (sold it for about half of what I paid for it about 5 years ago, so I can't complain). I picked up a used Kobo Touch and enjoyed that one until I got a great deal on a Kobo Aura HD. Since I REALLY don't need that many readers on the go, and some would end up unused for many months at a time, I figured it was better to try and sell than to leave them for the battery to degrade - I managed to sell the Touch for about what I paid for it. My Sony PRS-350 is still sitting in a drawer and probably needs a new battery at this point. I will probably keep that one lying around as it is such a gorgeous specimen of a device (I am still in love with the brushed metal casing).

Over the past year I have been lucky and managed to get my hands on a couple of Kindles for decent prices (Kindle basic 2014 and a Kindle Paperwhite 2) and although I resisted them for years, I am quite liking their ease of use and convenience! So now I am currently using 2 Kindles and a Kobo Aura HD.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:50 PM   #163
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
My Sony PRS-350 is still sitting in a drawer and probably needs a new battery at this point. I will probably keep that one lying around as it is such a gorgeous specimen of a device (I am still in love with the brushed metal casing).
Yep! The PRS-350 had both form and function down. The slot for the stylus was very convenient. The light weight plus soft touch back made it a joy to hold during marathon reading sessions. If only it had wifi and front light, I'd still be using it.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #164
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
I'm afraid many of my friends and family are no longer in good working condition Nobody wants one - either they don't read or they read on their phone and don't want to be bothered with a standalone unit that only does one thing.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:43 PM   #165
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
frequently used: Kindle Paperwhite 3

less used: Kobo Aura One

retired: Sony PRS-650

I would sell my Sony if there was any interest, but I missed the window of opportunity. I'm considering selling my Kobo because I really don't like flush screens.

I read comics and manga on my tablet (iPad Air 2 and Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.4).
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote