Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
I have been seduced by the Dark Side

I've owned a few Sony eInk readers in the past, but for my eyes, I never liked the low contrast. In recent years, I've been reading on either my phone or tablet.

Recently, when Radio Shack was blowing out those Nook Simple Touch readers for $20, I thought I'd get one to see if the eInk screens has improved. Although the Simple Touch is a very nice reader, it doesn't appear to me that the screen contrast is any better than the last Sony Reader I had. I didn't feel too bad, having only spent $20. I gave the Nook to a friend and he thinks it's great.

After reading reviews for both the Simple Touch w/Glowlight and the Kindle Paperwhite, it seems that the Paperwhite takes the prize for screen readability. So, I headed up to Best Buy and joined the Dark Side

I have all along resisted joining the Kindle ecosystem, preferring to stay with epub. I have taken advantage of the Kindle freebies, however. I have both Aldiko and Kindle apps on my phone and tablet.

Even with all of my reservations about ebook formats, I will say that the Paperwhite is the best eInk reader I've ever seen. With the front light adjusted to suit the ambient conditions, I find the Paperwhite very readable, and the matt screen isn't as reflective as my phone or tablet.

I still prefer epub and will purchase that format when I need to buy. I have found that dropping an epub onto the command-line tool kindlegen produces a Kindle ebook that is essentially the same format as the original epub. It is an extra step to convert, but is not too big a nuisance.

So, although I really like the Paperwhite, I will still resist going completely over to the Dark Side by not purchasing Kindle books. And I have recently learned that the latest Kindle book format is just a binary conversion of an epub. So, even though Amazon is embracing epub as a better format, they continue to make it proprietary.

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:22 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Should we tell him about the Kobo AuraHD ?

No... that would be just too cruel.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:44 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I was thinking it would be impolite to point out the Kobo Glo, but mentioning the Aura HD would be cruel.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:31 AM   #4
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Well I'm glad you didn't mention either of them then!
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:58 AM   #5
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
shhhh...
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:47 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
If he has not seen a Kobo Glo in person, he will not realize what he is missing!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I love my paperwhite, but even I must admit the Kobo Glow is superior in that way (I just think the kindle firmware is superior to the kobo firmware, although I couldn't tell you why, just a vague notion from reading posts here, I think.)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
So, I headed up to Best Buy and joined the Dark Side
And thus, my new apprentice, you are REBORN, as Darth Kindler, the Gray!
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The title is a tad confusing:

fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Jeff Bezos loves us -- each and everyone of us. He feeds us, he clothes us, and when we are weary with the world's problems, he comforts us with customer service. There is no darkness -- it's bright and beautiful at Amazon. Follow the light. Beat your Netflix accounts into Prime and be delivered (in two days, for free).
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #11
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Jeff Bezos loves us -- each and everyone of us. He feeds us, he clothes us, and when we are weary with the world's problems, he comforts us with customer service. There is no darkness -- it's bright and beautiful at Amazon. Follow the light. Beat your Netflix accounts into Prime and be delivered (in two days, for free).
The "delivered" part is just great
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
The "delivered" part is just great
Here for you
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Verily! Whan my PaperWhite recently succumbed to a deadly plague, the forces of Bezos delivered unto me (in 2 days) the new light of my life .... Yoicks!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #14
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I was thinking it would be impolite to point out the Kobo Glo, but mentioning the Aura HD would be cruel.
Actually, I have read about both of those. There is nowhere around here that I could actually see either of them.

For now, I will be satisfied in my ignorance. There is always something better on the horizon.

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #15
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The title is a tad confusing:

that should be dark seed
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote