Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Finger prints on the screen

For those of us who have a touch reader, a Nook Simple Touch, Amazon Kindle Paperwhite or touch or a Kobo Touch or any other touch reader that I have not named already - how bad has the problem of finger prints on the screen been?

Last edited by jbcohen; 11-30-2012 at 07:38 AM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I have a Kobo Touch and finger prints are not a problem. Finger prints aren't really visible on the matte screen, like the are with glossy screens. I don't know if that's because they pick up less of the oils from the hands, or because they are simply less visible.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I have a Sony PRS-350, and older touch screen, and even it's never been a problem with fingerprints. It's very rare I ever have to bother wiping it off. Just don't eat greasy french fries while reading and you'll be golden.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not a problem on either the Kindle Touch or the Paperwhite. Just doesn't show fingerprints at all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Finger prints are not a problem on Kobo Glo, but like all ereaders I've own, I need to clean the screen from time to time to remove the...ah hem...food debris. I like to read whilst I am eating, and sometimes little spots of...jetsam...will get on the screen.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
Í ordered a Onyx Boox i92HD two weeks ago, I've used it intensively during the last week. My other reader is 'button-operated' only, so I was a bit afraid about fingerprints showing on the screen, but I didn't have the slightest problem. (The bezel of this device is 'soft-touch', a matte, rubbery material, that showed fingers immediately, but after having touched it 'everywhere', that isn't a problem eighter.)
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
No fingerprints what so ever on any of the eInk touchscreens I have or have had! They are matte, and with IR they don't actually require you to touch the screen most fo the time. An "almost-touch" is enough to turn pages on for example the Sony PRS devices.

My LCD devices, like the Nok Tablet, though... OMG, that thing is a finger-print magnet! I try to always keep a soft fibre cloth nearby.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
It all depends on your fingers and how greasy they are.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
With my Kindle Paperwhite it is not a problem at all. That screen doesn't show fingerprints at all. At least they do not show mine. YMMV
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
My LCD devices, like the Nok Tablet, though... OMG, that thing is a finger-print magnet! I try to always keep a soft fibre cloth nearby.
But backlit LCD screens don't generally show fingerprints when the light is on. My iPad looks dreadful when it's switched off - one solid mass of fingerprints - but they don't show up at all when you're using it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My 650 is not a problem as far as fingerprints go. The screen gets cleaned more from being dirty then from fingerprints.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #12
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But backlit LCD screens don't generally show fingerprints when the light is on. My iPad looks dreadful when it's switched off - one solid mass of fingerprints - but they don't show up at all when you're using it.
The same with the Nook Color, Tablet and HD+.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #13
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
My Paperwhite certainly shows fingerprints pretty easily.

It depends a lot on the angle I'm holding it at (and the angle of external light hitting the screen). Mostly it's not a problem with the way I'm holding it when reading, but I see them clearly and without effort when I just pick it up or look at it at a non-optimal angle.

I don't think I'm particularly greasy-fingered, either, and even when I do snack on something while reading, I try to use my knuckle or the tip of my little finger (i.e. something that hasn't touched the food) to turn the page instead. I've also instantly noticed the fingerprints covering the screens of all eInk readers I've seen in shops, as well as the rare fingerprints I got on my Kindle 3 screen, so maybe I'm just more highly tuned to seeing them, or something.

It's not nearly as bad as fingerprints on a turned-off LCD screen, but to say they're not there/visible at all... for me, that hasn't proved to be correct. It probably does depend a lot on both the angle of holding it and one's tolerance levels, though, and I have no doubt that many people genuinely don't notice them at all on their screens.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #14
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
...while on my new Arc, there are already multicolor spots I have to wipe away with a microfibre cloth a couple of times a day. Guess your fingers aren't particularly oily.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #15
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
There are fingerprints on my Kobo Touch, but I have to look for them. They don't show up while I am reading, so that's not a problem.
Every now and then I wipe them away with a damp microfibre cloth, but not very often (maybe once or twice a month, and I use my Kobo daily).
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote