Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
iPhone OS 4.0 Beta JailBroken

Supposedly the beta iPhone 4.0 firmware has been jailbroken According to hacker claims, an updated jailbreak was rdeveloped within hours of the firmware's release. The keys that were used have been made public. So far the process was has only been used on an iPhone 3Gs,

See the demonstration video here: Veency on iphoneos 4.0
Lotus Esprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:18 AM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
remember, it's a beta OS, apple's final lockdowns are probably not in place. so i wouldn't be jumping for joy one bit. come back after it's gone GM.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

Is there any doubt in your mind that after it is actually released that it won't be cracked in less than a day?
Old 04-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

That is nice to know. I just jailbroke my iPhone and my wife's Palm Pre so we could tether our ipads to them...... Works great....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
That is nice to know. I just jailbroke my iPhone and my wife's Palm Pre so we could tether our ipads to them...... Works great....
What is the point in tethering the iPhone to the iPad? Btw, if you want to browse the net on your iPad through your iPhone's 3G connection you might be interested in the MyWi app in the Rock app store. I was glad to discover this since I wont need to wait for the iPad 3G.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Actually it took them more than a day to crack 3.0. Don't think Apple isn't getting smarter in all of this. While the 3.x series is broken pretty quickly, I expect 4.0, when finally released, to take a while. But I'll happily eat my words if this isn't the case.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
Lotus Esprit
Addict

Do you want any salt or pepper on those words?
Old 04-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
scottjl
Reader of Books

when you look back at when 3.x was released. it took them a few weeks to jailbreak that and there were plenty of people crying and whining for them to work faster. you have to remember people do this as a hobby, don't get paid, don't ask or want money for it, and in some countries (like the US) it's illegal to be conducting this kind of work (thank the DCMA for that).

for those interested in following here are the two main sites for people working on jailbreak efforts

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ - dev team blog
http://blackra1n.com/ - geohot's blackweather site
Old 04-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieClarken View Post
What is the point in tethering the iPhone to the iPad? Btw, if you want to browse the net on your iPad through your iPhone's 3G connection you might be interested in the MyWi app in the Rock app store. I was glad to discover this since I wont need to wait for the iPad 3G.
That's what tethering is, so yes we have 3G Internet on our iPads through the iPhone and Pre......
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #10
FourOhFour
HTTP Error
FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I agree, there likely won't be a released jailbreak for 4.0 for at least a week after 4.0 is out. Also, I hope there isn't one until iPad 4.0 (or more likely, 4.1) is out. Otherwise it'll likely be fixed before iPad users get a chance at it.
FourOhFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:32 PM   #11
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur
Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Is there any way to install the beta? Preferably without paying the $99?
Mirrorlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:26 PM   #12
scottjl
Reader of Books

Nope, you need to be a registered developer, or know one who would let you use his account. Expect a lot of your existing apps to not work, and reports are that it is very buggy. So is it worth it? If you use your phone on a regular basis, I doubt it.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:41 PM   #13
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur
Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I see, thanks.
Mirrorlike is offline   Reply With Quote