Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-10-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
Djchurch
Djchurch began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Issues copying to MicroSD Card with Calibre on Koba Aura

Hi everyone,

So I just bought a Kobo Aura, and had no idea I would need a degree in programming to use it. I am using Calibre 1.43 64bit on Windows 8.

I have been trying to load books onto the Kobo through Calibre onto a 2 gb micro-sd card. It works fine, and then after about 300-400 megs of books (I have a lot of books) were loading, it was giving me a error msg - "list index out of range"

There was tons of memory left on the card, so I scoured the web looking for an answer. The best I came up with was the the fat system on the micro-sd card could not handle the amount of folders and files (or something like that), and it was recommended I reformat to fat32.

Books erased, card reformatted to fat32 and let's try again. It works much better. I have copied easily hundreds more titles this time. I've managed to use 800 mgs of the 1.8 available on the card, but I've run into the dread error again.

Here it is (ignore the book title - it's nothing scandalous):

calibre, version 1.43.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Failed to parse 'Hideous Kinky' by 'Esther Freud' with error: 'list index out of range' (file: calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.container, line: 264)

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 86, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 571, in _upload_books
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver" , line 280, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1899, in upload_books
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.device.driver" , line 224, in _modify_epub
InvalidEPub: Failed to parse 'Hideous Kinky' by 'Esther Freud' with error: 'list index out of range' (file: calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.container, line: 264)

What gives? Do I need to go to ntfs? I think i read kobo can't read that system. It seems to be linked to numbre of books. Books I was getting errors on before when it was Fat worked and copied just fine. Is there a workaround for this that anyone knows?

If I was to use Calibre to edit all the metadata to get what I like, and then drag and dropped it onto the card with windows explorer, would this work? Or would it be the same problem? Would I lose my collections data for organizing all these books? (One of the reason I am using calibre in the first place - there is no way I am going to go through book by thousands of books on my kobo and manually do it).

Any ideas are very appreciated. Thank you.
Djchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djchurch View Post
InvalidEPub: Failed to parse 'Hideous Kinky' by 'Esther Freud' with error: 'list index out of range' (file: calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.container, line: 264)
I don't think this has anything to do with the card or filesystem, it is just that there is an error in that particular book. You are using the Extended driver which converts from epub format to kepub format as the books are sent, and there is an error in the book that prevents this happening.

If you used the standard driver, or just copied the book to the device without using Calibre, then it would probably transfer OK but you might have problems later when you try to read it.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
Djchurch

Hi there,

Thanks very much for the quick response. I did what with the who now?

I wasn't aware I was converting from epub to kepub (I'm not sure even what that is). Why am I doing this? Was it a byproduct of trying to get calibre to make collections on the kobo when I copied over?

How can I copy with the standard driver instead of whatever business I'm doing now?

I have no problems dragging and dropping, but am afarid of losing all the edited metadata I used calibre for in the first place.

Again, many thanks for your help.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The standard driver is called KoboTouch, it comes with Calibre. The extended driver is called KoboTouchExtended I think, and its main purpose is to convert from epub format to kepub format, it is an optional extra.

In any case I would recommend transfering just a few books to start with, until you figure out whether you want to read the books in epub or kepub format, and which options you want to enable in the Calibre drivers.

Edit: With the current Kobo firmware, processing sideloaded books takes quite a long time. If you load 800 books at once it could take an hour or more to process them. So it is best to be sure you have everything set up the way you want before sideloading your whole library.

Edit2: Sorry, to answer your question about how to use the standard driver: In calibre go to Preferences > Plugins > Device interface plugins, and disable KoboTouchExtended.

Last edited by GeoffR; 07-10-2014 at 06:16 PM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:55 AM   #5
Djchurch

Hi GeoffR,

Thanks for your help. You were correct. It was a conversion/writing error for the occasional book. When done in small batches, it worked fine and I filled the little sd card to the brim.

I do have another questions, however. I think I shot myself in the foot. In my attempt to make 'collections' on my kobo so i didn't have to wander through thousands of individual titles, I went into the KoboTouchextended plugin, and adjusted the setting that would allow me to organize collections or shelf. This is what I put "#myshelves, tags"

I then added all of my books, thousands of them. Unfortunately, when i unplugged it, and it rebooted, all of my books are there, but if I press collections, it takes forever to open up. I mean 3-7 minutes (ok, not quite forever, but come on). It also indicates that I have 108 pages of collections. I am thinking this is what is slowing it down so much. Every tag has become it's own collection, and there were a lot of random tags.

Becuase of how bogged down and slow it is now, it is taking FOREVER to go into each collection, remove the book so it doesn't delete when I delete the collection, and then delte the collection. I've been doing it all night, and have about 5-6 collections so far.

When I open the kobo in Calibre, I can edit metadata and tags to my hearts content with the Calibre library, but I can't seem to do it with the books that are already copied onto my Kobo. I guess I could complete wipe it and do it over again, but I have MANY more books that space on this Kobo, so it was a long period of going through a huge amount of books to sort out the ones I wanted to put on it.

Is there anyway I can quickly edit tags in books already on my Kobo? Or is there someway or setting that I can change in Calibre that will change this without erasing or having to recopy all my books?

Thank you so much for your patience. It is appreciated!
Advert
Old 07-11-2014, 05:30 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firstly, if you delete a collection on the device, it does not delete the books that are in the collection. So, you don't have to empty them first.

If calibre and the driver configured correctly, it will do all the collection maintenance when you connect to calibre. It can do this for all books on the device that are also in the calibre library. Have a look at Quick Guide to Shelf Management with calibre for instructions and lots of discussion.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura, calibre, copy book, error, kobo