Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-08-2013, 04:19 AM   #1
tsolignani
Zealot
tsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: iPad
plugin to change pdf metadata?

Is there a plugin, such as the one for epub, to modify PDF metadata once edited in Calibre?

Thank you and have a nice day.

–
cordialmente,

[Promotion deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-07-2014 at 11:02 AM.
tsolignani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:28 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There is a standalone program from Evermap called AutoMetaData that claims to be capable of import/export of metadata from/to a text file

I downloaded it a couple of months ago but have yet to install, let alone investigate it.

Its free, runs on Windows and requires .NET 1.?

I suspect it's the best hope there is for exchanging metadata between PDF's and Calibre.

My thinking is to determine its import format and then develop a process (maybe via a plug in) that will read of the Calibre database, write a file in that format and start the AutoMetaData program to read it and update the PDF file.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-08-2013 at 05:30 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2013, 12:32 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolignani View Post
Is there a plugin, such as the one for epub, to modify PDF metadata once edited in Calibre?
There is a plugin built into calibre that will modify the PDF metadata in the book when the book is exported from the library using the Save to disk or Send to device features.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:43 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
There is a plugin built into calibre that will modify the PDF metadata in the book when the book is exported from the library using the Save to disk or Send to device features.
I only want one copy of a 'format' on my system, the one in the Calibre Library directory, and I want the embedded metadata in the format files be the same as what I have entered into the metadata database.

Can I use the built in 'plug in' to update the Library copy of the PDF in situ. Currently I manually go through a Save to Disk, Remove from Library, Add from Disk, Delete from Disk cycle - which is prone to my errors and my omissions. I do the same for RTF's.

I think I know why this is not an issue for many (most ?) Calibre Users - they don't use external content search tools such as Spotlight, Recoll or Windows Search.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:21 AM   #5
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I think I know why this is not an issue for many (most ?) Calibre Users - they don't use external content search tools such as Spotlight, Recoll or Windows Search.
Actually I think it is more to do with the fact that most users despise PDF when it comes to reading on electronic reader devices, and will do anything they can to avoid that format where possible.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2013, 06:38 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Can I use the built in 'plug in' to update the Library copy of the PDF in situ. Currently I manually go through a Save to Disk, Remove from Library, Add from Disk, Delete from Disk cycle - which is prone to my errors and my omissions.
No, but after you save it to disk you replace the Remove from Library, Add from Disk steps with just drag the updated copy to the formats section of the edit metadata window, see attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Edit Metadata Formats Section.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	104090  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
tsolignani
Zealot
tsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Actually I think it is more to do with the fact that most users despise PDF when it comes to reading on electronic reader devices, and will do anything they can to avoid that format where possible.
Agreed, but still many ebooks are available only in PDF.

And over time I learned to appreciate it, you cannot do text reflow and so you cannot read them onto iPhones and such, but you can annotate and sync you annotations on every devices, which you cannot with epub, at least if you use Apple devices like me.

–
cordialmente,

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-07-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #8
tsolignani
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Unfortunately, I am getting my books onto my devices via calibre content server, that way I do not think metadata are written onto the file while downloading.

I guess there should be a plugin which would work the way «modify ePub» works: change the file and then replace the one into the library, once and for all.

–
cordialmente,

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-07-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolignani View Post
Unfortunately, I am getting my books onto my devices via calibre content server, that way I do not think metadata are written onto the file while downloading.
[/url]
I think that for most formats the Content server now DOES update the metadata in books selected for download. Whether this applies to PDF I am not sure.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I think that for most formats the Content server now DOES update the metadata in books selected for download. Whether this applies to PDF I am not sure.
It does not. To update pdf metadata, the entire pdf file has to be processed and re-written which is not suitable for running in a server process. PDF just isn't designed for the digital age.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
tsolignani
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It does not. To update pdf metadata, the entire pdf file has to be processed and re-written which is not suitable for running in a server process.
As a matter of fact, I have (many) ebooks into pdf format with are larger than 100 mb (mostly law books I digitized with scansnap, I have one with 8500 pages). But still there should be a plugin to edit them with one click, as you can do with epubs, from inside the calibre «client», so it would be up to the user to decide, likewise with epubs: calibre does nothing on its own, but you can get a plugin to do that.

Thank you.

–
cordialmente,

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-07-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
tsolignani
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
PDF just isn't designed for the digital age.
Well, I do not know if I can agree completely.

I used to hate the PDF format, then I learned to appreciate it a bit at least. When I use some law book for my work, I can annotate it on every device I am into, and find my highlights and notes back at the desktop.

Of course you cannot read PDF on phone, for lacking of text reflow.

If only there was an epub reader that you could use and sync amongst in every device you use, including the desktop. Let's hope in a future Marvin for desktop (not in schedule) and for iPhone (scheduled, as I was told).

People when thinking about ebook consider mainly portable devices, but there are books you do not just *read* but you use for your work (i.e.: mostly search amongst, read some small parts, copy, ecc.); for those books a mobile device is not enough, that' a work you still do better at the desktop.

Just my two cents, of course.

–
cordialmente,

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-07-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:52 AM   #13
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur
ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 US, iPad, Samsung Win 8 Tablet
+1 for a plugin to update PDFs with metadata, cover and jacket. Can't do it myself, but maybe someone would take on the project?

(I know this is not as easy as for epubs, and yes, PDFs are not the ideal ebook format - but fact is that many ebooks only come in PDF and I can read them quite nicely on a tablet. Another advantage for me is that my highlights/annotations stay with the file and look the same on every tablet/computer/PDF reading software)
ichbindasauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:58 AM   #14
tsolignani
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbindasauge View Post
+1 for a plugin to update PDFs with metadata, cover and jacket. Can't do it myself, but maybe someone would take on the project?
The jacket insertion would be even better and appreciated.

Agreed with all the rest.

Have a nice day.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #15
ParadiseLost
Enthusiast
ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: None
As i understood what was said was that plugboards don't work on PDFs through the content server. That being said it does seem to me that some change to the title is being made. When a pdf is sent to my iphone via the content server the unique number added to its folder name is appended to the file. Is this common behaviour?
ParadiseLost is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
metadata, pdf