Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 04:56 AM   #1
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
How not to design a book cover

For your edification, a lighthearted compilation of object lessons in how not to design a book cover.

http://lousybookcovers.tumblr.com/
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Some nasty stuff......
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
I think someone linked this a few months ago. Although instead of just a "fail blog," IMO he should try actually pointing out how these could be improved. The internet is too full of destructive criticism.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
I think someone linked this a few months ago. Although instead of just a "fail blog," IMO he should try actually pointing out how these could be improved. The internet is too full of destructive criticism.
As I wrote in my journal yesterday: "The internet breeds contempt."

I actually thought the swamp one was not that bad depending on market and story/genre, same for the time tunnel thing....ever see Dr. Who lately?

Last edited by kennyc; 01-13-2013 at 02:02 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Well said. Very well said.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
According to the site he used to, but he came under attack for it:

Quote:
NOTE: I used to offer a free cover redesign to any author whose book was featured here, but because a couple of hyperventilating "sweet snowflakes" accused me of posting these covers as nothing more than a cynical "negative business model" to drive readers to my cover design site, I've ended that offer. Because the NERVE of offering a free gift to good sports! The VERY NERVE! Harumph!
I only know that cause its right on the first page linked above...
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
According to the site he used to, but he came under attack for it: [...]
I'm inclined to agree that offering his own cover design services as part of such a site is not entirely appropriate.

I glanced through his archives. Okay so the majority are pretty atrocious, but there are some that aren't any worse than I've seen done by professionals. Several there remind me of old cheap paperbacks for horror/sci-fi in the seventies - and for all anyone knows, without talking to the author, that was the intention.

Cheap shots are easy ... and sometimes even justified ... perhaps. But a lousy cover every day of the month? That's just filler for his site. Amazon had almost 92,000 new releases in the last 30 days, of course there's going to be some pretty ripe choices.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #8
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh its all link bait for sure. For what ever reason - put up a fail blog of some kind and people will come. People will talk about it on message boards and post how wrong it is.

To be clear, it is not a genre I am a fan of. At all. I would have like to see a "heres how ugly it was - and here is how we fixed it" style blog. That would be helpful to me.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
You're thinking before and after photographs, like weight-watchers or something? Maybe we need "cover-watchers", and "blurb-watchers". We could all go on the diet, see how many pounds (sterling) we can gain.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #10
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
You're thinking before and after photographs, like weight-watchers or something? Maybe we need "cover-watchers", and "blurb-watchers". We could all go on the diet, see how many pounds (sterling) we can gain.
LOL

Sure - that would at least be educational.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #11
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
According to the site he used to, but he came under attack for it:
So what about having a section, maybe once a week, on how to design a good one? Or a not too horrible one at least? I doubt that would get many attacks.

But like all things on the internet, its just too easy to be destructive.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
jamadams
Connoisseur
jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-505, 600 & Librié
I think it's great - even just as a reference point for what a cover shouldn't be. I don't really care if he uses it to advertise his own services. It's his site - and clearly his services are needed!
jamadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #13
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamadams View Post
I think it's great - even just as a reference point for what a cover shouldn't be. I don't really care if he uses it to advertise his own services. It's his site - and clearly his services are needed!
I dunno, I wouldn't go with a guy who advertises like that. He sounds like the kind of artiste who would reject my input and charge an arm and a leg.

"Yes, I did hear you tell me the main character dresses in gothic lolita. Well, I'm the artist, and I say that urban cowgirl suits her better! Who's the graphic artist, me or you?"
Old 01-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #14
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
A lot of those covers are hand-drawn covers. Hand-drawn covers can be good if you have the talent for it. But if you don't, they can be bad. A lot of them (hand-drawn and otherwise) would be better if they kept it simpler. Plus, drawing people is hard, a hand-drawn cover might be ok, but it takes extra talent to be able to draw people well.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:49 AM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamadams View Post
I am with jamadams on this one. We see scads of truly awful covers come through here, and I try very hard not to say a word, although on rare occasions, I have. Bad covers are even more prevalent than bad fiction or bad books in general, and that's saying a lot.

If you think that a lot of the wrong people believe that they are writers, you haven't hung out around people applying for cover design work yet. When I post ads seeking new talent, the responses I receive from folks who really believe (like the guy/gal who did the one with the rat, the pelican and the "neanderthal" in the boat) that they're ready for nearly-prime-time inundate our inboxes. And most of what we get for portfolio shots is just...painful.

If you like constructive critcism, try "Your Cover Uncovered," http://yourcoveruncovered.blogspot.com/ , but I admit I have a sad addiction to laughing at truly bad covers. I know: it makes me a lousy human being. But in my defense, I'd point out that I sift through dozens of new manuscripts for production daily; in scrutinizing them for quotes, I inadvertently read a lot of them, and my poor brain needs an outlet. Thus, I confess, this guy slays me: http://causticcovercritic.blogspot.com.au/

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote