Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Today I learned...

Today I learned that the taser was inspired by a fictional Tom Swift invention and NASA physicist Jack Cover, who invented it, named it after him. “Taser” is an acronym for the “Thomas A. Swift’s Electric Rifle.”

What did you learn today?
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Today I learned about a "Witch Window". I'd never heard of one. Thanks Javed.

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_window
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Okay, I totally want one of those.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
I learned that the CIA spent 15 million dollars developing technology into cats so they could spy on the soviets. They had the first cat ready after years of work with mikes under the skin and antennas in its tails. They pulled up in their secret van near the Soviet embassy ready to electronically direct this cat into the grounds and spy on the staff who would go outside to discuss things they didn't want overheard by all the bugs in the walls, paintings, photocopiers and things in the building. They opened the door and let the cat out and it was promptly run over by a car.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
I learned that the CIA spent 15 million dollars developing technology into cats so they could spy on the soviets. They had the first cat ready after years of work with mikes under the skin and antennas in its tails. They pulled up in their secret van near the Soviet embassy ready to electronically direct this cat into the grounds and spy on the staff who would go outside to discuss things they didn't want overheard by all the bugs in the walls, paintings, photocopiers and things in the building. They opened the door and let the cat out and it was promptly run over by a car.
tax dollars at work.....
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
I hope that they at least collected the road kill before the Soviets. The whole spy cat program could have been blown.

The US Navy has come up with a state of the art “stealth destroyer.” Unfortunately so much money was spent on R&D that instead of actually building 32 such ships [ the original plan] now only three will be built. I recall reading a Sci-Fi story a long time ago about two forces at war. One side just put money and effort into building many current state of the art warships while the other was continually coming up with newer superior technology, but only building a few at a time. Guess who won in the end?
Old 10-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I learned at lot of things from the short broadcast. Learning From the Things That Annoy Us One of the most important is that all those people who have been saying that “life just keeps getting worse” were right.

Quote:
He was in a church and he noticed that in this church you could go and buy a candle. And there was a sign saying if you take a candle, leave some money. And he counted for a few hours how many people who take these candles pay for it and how many don't. And then he came back a few years later and he counted again. He watched. And he came back a few years later and he counted again. And he discovered that every time he came back, fewer and fewer people were paying. People were stealing these candles, and the world was getting worse and worse.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^Okay, I totally want one of those.
Whatcha' gonna do with a Witch Window?
MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK2111 View Post
Whatcha' gonna do with a Witch Window?
Ca(s)t a spell.

Great thread! Thanks Ben!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #10
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Beavermen on the Moon! It's true. I read it in the paper.

In 1835 The New York Sun published a six part series claiming to be extracts from the Edinburgh Journal of Science reporting how Sir William Hersrschel invented a new powerfull telescope that could see planets around distant stars and as an after thought turned it on the moon and discovered beaver people who lived in huts that had smokel, unicorns, three kinds of flying bat people and a miriad of other wonders that increased the paper's circulation and was rereported in many other papers throughout the world.

Seems strange that people would believe stories like this. However, when you consider that at the time explorers were showing civilized society the duck billed platypus, koalas and kangaroos and reports of pigmy natives in the jungle why wouldn't there be flying men on the moon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I learned at lot of things from the short broadcast. Learning From the Things That Annoy Us . . . . . . . . . . .
That happens to me in the Religion and Politics forum.

Last edited by wannabee; 10-23-2012 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Answer Hamlets post
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote