Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
trollins
trollins began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Book Covers to kindle app

Hey everyone,

I apologize up front if this is not in the right spot. Just not sure what my problem is. Calibre vs. kindle app vs. Galaxy Tab???

I have a Galaxy Tab 8.9 that I am using the kindle app on. I have some books that will not load the book cover while in the library. They do show the cover inside the book.

It is only a few book that are doing this. I can't see any rhyme or reason as to why this is happening.

I purchased one from amazon. I input it as AZW, and the cover is there. As a test I import it to Calibre and then transfer it as mobi right over to the GTab and the cover is gone. Only difference is the auto Calibre conversion from AZW to mobi. I then did a mobi to mobi convert and the cover is still not there. I have other books that I have converted and the cover is there. I can't see that I am doing anything different between books. All the books appear to have the same settings.

Has anybody figured this out yet or point me in a direction to fix it.

Thank you in advance for your help.
trollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
Moved to Conversions (here)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
I noticed that the last few books I converted from ePub are missing their thumbnails while browsing the library on the Kindle Android app. I can't figure out the cause -- whether this is something related to the conversions done with Calibre 0.8.41 or whether it is the most recent Kindle App update, or an interaction between the two (the thumbnails on these books *do* show up in my copy of Kindle for PC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollins View Post
Hey everyone,

I apologize up front if this is not in the right spot. Just not sure what my problem is. Calibre vs. kindle app vs. Galaxy Tab???

I have a Galaxy Tab 8.9 that I am using the kindle app on. I have some books that will not load the book cover while in the library. They do show the cover inside the book.

It is only a few book that are doing this. I can't see any rhyme or reason as to why this is happening.

I purchased one from amazon. I input it as AZW, and the cover is there. As a test I import it to Calibre and then transfer it as mobi right over to the GTab and the cover is gone. Only difference is the auto Calibre conversion from AZW to mobi. I then did a mobi to mobi convert and the cover is still not there. I have other books that I have converted and the cover is there. I can't see that I am doing anything different between books. All the books appear to have the same settings.

Has anybody figured this out yet or point me in a direction to fix it.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited by bwaldron; 03-05-2012 at 05:06 PM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
BillM428
BillM428 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for Android
I noticed the same problem with all 3.4 updates. It occurs with new books created in Calibre. Creating ebook with kindlegen do not seem to have the problem. Books you had loaded with the previous app will appear, except in Grid View.

Woorkaround: Switch back to a v3.3 app with all the sideloaded books loaded. Then, update to the 3.4 app. You should retain the sideloaded book covers (except in grid view).

Use the feedback feature in the app to let Amazon know. I think they are responsive to issues, but I'm sure more complaints will increase it priority.

I told the Calibre developer about it, and he says its a Kindle problem and seems to hate the mobi format.
BillM428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM428 View Post
I told the Calibre developer about it, and he says its a Kindle problem and seems to hate the mobi format.
Hate is overly strong word.

Mobi is a Dinosaur when it comes to flexible of layout.
In a few years, EPUB(2) will join it when everyone gets used to the feature set of EPUB3

How does the current 'K' firmware now failing to do something that all previous 'K' versions did, make it a Calibre problem? Calibre provides many work-arounds for many static program and device limitations. Interoperability with recently introduced device bug is not part of Calibre's mandate.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
BillM428

theducks,
Sorry, maybe 'hate' is too strong -- let's say "is not very fond of".

It is not exclusively a Calibre issue. Amazon did something with the 3.4 update and I think everyone using it should feedback to Amazon to get them to fix the problem.

However, there is something different between the way that Calibre (an excellent program, by the way) and MobiPocket and Kindlegen process the cover art.

On the bright side Nook for Android now supports the cover art for Calibre created books -- previously it did display any sideloaded book cover art.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
BillM428

Sorry, previously the Nook for Android DID NOT display sideloaded cover art.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is the change implemented in Calibre 0.8.43 to address this (fix bug 954254) working for anyone? I'm still lacking cover thumbnails in the Kindle app on Android with Calibre-generated Mobi files.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:30 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Is the change implemented in Calibre 0.8.43 to address this (fix bug 954254) working for anyone? I'm still lacking cover thumbnails in the Kindle app on Android with Calibre-generated Mobi files.
According to the person who posted the bug report, it did not work. Something else is the problem.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #10
bwaldron
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
According to the person who posted the bug report, it did not work. Something else is the problem.
Thanks, Kovid. For now I'll see if I saved an earlier version of the Kindle app and use that. Obviously there's an issue with the latest Android app, as the thumbnails do properly show up everywhere else, including Kindle for PC.

(BTW, I can confirm that the same books created with Kindlegen vs. Calibre do properly show thumbnails in the Kindle app.)

Last edited by bwaldron; 03-22-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #11
bwaldron
Wizard

The Android app was updated today -- unfortunately, the thumbnail problem is not fixed. However, it now supports the personal documents feature, so books emailed to the Kindle archive from Calibre can be downloaded to the app with working cover thumbnails.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #12
bwdrennan
bwdrennan began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Evo Shift 4g
Sideload Cover Thumbnails Missing, Intermittent, Kindle Android

From where does the app get the thumbnails for display? Where does the app store the image data for the thumbnails?

Amazon Kindle v3.6.0.87 for Android v2.3.3 on HTC Evo4g Shift PG06100

(I disconnected the cable from the phone while mounted on the Mac desktop. This seems to have created an imperfection in my life.)

Intermittent missing thumbnails. Mounted and unmounted, then thumbnails restored, but with every title listed twice. After double listings, tapping on a cover force stops the app. App's folder "kindle" appears suddenly empty.
bwdrennan is offline   Reply With Quote