Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #16
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo129 View Post
Well, as I have one now and not a Kindle I intend to persevere with it especially as I have kind of personalised it, I just need to get to grips with it, especially the use of kindle books on there unless anyone can recommend any other good book (cheap) sites other than Kobo?
booksonboard.com (they have a UK site)
diesel-ebooks.com
Also you can almost always buy discounted books from Kobo using the coupon codes from this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=coupon+codes

Only certain "agency"books will not allow the coupons to be used.
Calibre is a great tool to use on the pc to organise your library but not essential.
Download the Kindle app from the Goodereader app store I mentioned above and you'll be able to read all your Kindle books.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #17
Kobo129
Kobo129 began at the beginning.

Device: Vox
Well, I thought I was being ever so clever but have hit a stumbling block!
You'll be proud of me as I downloaded Dolphin (like the gestures) Aldiko, Kindle ereader and other bits and bobs of interest.
Now the hard bit.....Calibre, downloaded onto laptop, connected Kobo Vox with (now found) cable....add books....located Kobo however which files are transferred? It found some 'parts' then I got the message not responding so I gave up, at this point the Kobo battery now decided to go flat on me..I am just guessing (and learning) at this..any hints?

Also Aldiko..is there any way I can get all my books in one library rather than the vox library,kindle library and now Aldiko? seems they are all over the place or is this just how it is using different ereading apps?

Sorry for so many questions!
Kobo129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #18
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo129 View Post
Well, I thought I was being ever so clever but have hit a stumbling block!
You'll be proud of me as I downloaded Dolphin (like the gestures) Aldiko, Kindle ereader and other bits and bobs of interest.
Now the hard bit.....Calibre, downloaded onto laptop, connected Kobo Vox with (now found) cable....add books....located Kobo however which files are transferred? It found some 'parts' then I got the message not responding so I gave up, at this point the Kobo battery now decided to go flat on me..I am just guessing (and learning) at this..any hints?

Also Aldiko..is there any way I can get all my books in one library rather than the vox library,kindle library and now Aldiko? seems they are all over the place or is this just how it is using different ereading apps?

Sorry for so many questions!
Congrats! You're doing great!
All DRM'd books except the Kindle books could be in Aldiko. The Kindle books are a different format and unless DRM is removed must be read in the Kindle app. There is something that can be done to Calibre using some "tools" to do that but we can't give details about this on the forum. Google Apprentice Alf's Blog to find out more.
In Aldiko, once the books are on the Vox, there is an icon for "files". You can find your books there on the sd card to "load" them to the app or use Calibre wirelessly (as a catalogue) to transfer the books to Aldiko.
The thread "a better browser" has info about loading books to Aldiko wirelessly in the different posts. (Assuming you are interested).
Old 01-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #19
Kobo129
Kobo129 began at the beginning.

Two steps forward one back!
I managed to put books in Calibre (some of them) and then I bought a book on kindle, which was then transferred into there so easily!
I tried to convert as was told it was DRM protected - Oh well, at least I know now and I can still read in the kindle app.
I thought Calibre converted the DRM bit but I realise it just puts into EPUB. I am learning..
Kobo129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #20
Cdesja5
Wizard

you have to add "tools" to Calibre for it to do that. Google Apprentice Alf's Blog.
Advert
Old 01-29-2012, 06:17 AM   #21
Lost-soul
Lost-soul began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
Hi, Sorry to highjack this thread, i too am a uk kobo vox owner and so far i have to say i'm loving it, i just have one question, why doesn't it show my books as complete after i've finished reading them? it tells me i've turne thousands of pages but have complete zero books, i have read both books transfered from my pc and books purchased from kobo.
Lost-soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:29 AM   #22
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost-soul View Post
Hi, Sorry to highjack this thread, i too am a uk kobo vox owner and so far i have to say i'm loving it, i just have one question, why doesn't it show my books as complete after i've finished reading them? it tells me i've turne thousands of pages but have complete zero books, i have read both books transfered from my pc and books purchased from kobo.
When you get to the end of the book are you pressing the middle button on the bottom of the Vox and selecting close book.

without doing this it will think you are still reading and on the last page
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #23
Lost-soul
Lost-soul began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
No i wasn't selecting to close the book....how stupid am i !!?
thank you
x
Lost-soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #24
Noranoo
Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost-soul View Post
No i wasn't selecting to close the book....how stupid am i !!?
thank you
x

oh geez...i was wondering the same yesterday...i didnt know i had to press the middle button either! i thought it was a glitch.
Noranoo is offline   Reply With Quote