Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2007, 03:11 AM   #1
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Charging via USB?

Does this work? The manual I read says "trickle charging," but I'm not sure as to what extent..

Thanks for any help! Eagerly awaiting my Kindle's arrival!
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:56 PM   #2
Digriz
Digriz began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505/kindle 2/dr1000
I plugged it in via USB and turned it on and it showed up as a drive letter. I'm at half charge right now. It will be either dead in the morning or charged up.
Digriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2007, 08:57 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
If you're going to try it, turn off the radio. There is no way it will charge with the radio on.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:52 AM   #4
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

So, any updates on this?
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:03 AM   #5
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Does this work? The manual I read says "trickle charging," but I'm not sure as to what extent..

Thanks for any help! Eagerly awaiting my Kindle's arrival!
the charge light lights up. at least that's promising ... [g]

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2007, 07:07 AM   #6
Digriz

Ummm. Dead this morning. And I left the charger at work. And the radio was off.

A caveat I had never charged the device since it arrived so I am not sure what kind of charge it even had. But again the meter was showing half last night.

This was off a dual core Dell laptop that charges my Blackberry and PSP and .... fine.

Kind of a bummer you have to carry a charging adapter with you if this is true
Old 11-22-2007, 07:16 AM   #7
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
l left mine on usb off and on for about 3 hours and the battery indicator went from about 50% up to about 90%. that was on a desktop machine, not a laptop though.

so at least while you're messing around with files with the unit connected you're taking on some fuel even if it's not the 2-hour rapid charge of an ac adaptor.

i do wish they'd've built the charging into the usb since you can get a charger with a usb connector anywhere for about $5 because every other cell phone uses that method. and the tiny little plug on their ac adaptor is hard to find and prone to structural problems due to its small size.

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
Digriz

Hmm interesting.

Again My Dell laptop outputs the 5v for my Blackberry and charges my psp also. I've tried the cable that came with it. My Blackberry cable, etc.

Now that it is dead it the charge light wont come on. My Sony 505 charges fine with the same cables. I just tried it and it is fully charged now.

Guess I will have to wait for Monday to pick up my ac adapter from work.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:55 AM   #9
Zoot
Connoisseur
Zoot began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
The half-amp of +5 on the USB should be plenty to charge the Kindle, and even charge and power it while web surfing at the same time I would think.

One thing to look at (if you have thte radio on) is the little wireless indicator. If the antenna icon has a "1x" at the top instead of the ((.)) thing, then it's in 1xRTT fallback mode which supposedly uses more juice. Also if you're only getting a bar or so of signal then the device could be spending time hunting for signal and/or operating at higher transmitter power, both of which will suck the juice out faster than an EV-DO link with 4-5 bars of signal.

Z.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote