Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-05-2007, 05:14 PM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Automatic .Lit extractor for the iLiad

I'm attaching my port of convertlit for the iLiad along with a registry installer and extraction script.

To install, unzip, copy to your iLiad, run, and reboot. Then delete the installation folder.

Now, copy a drm-free .lit file to your iLiad. Then select it from the contentlister.

Here's what will happen.
  • Your iLiad will extract the .lit file in the same folder the .lit is located
  • It will automatically display the Author's Name, Book Title, and Cover Art from the .lit file in the contentlister.

After it has extracted, you will need to open the oeb file in FBReader (You can open it from the contentlister with the FBReader Registry installer)

After you verify it works, you can delete the lit file.

Post updated to support spaces in path and file names. Thanks ender and Tesa!

Editor's Note: The attached tool cannot be used to break DRM'ed lit files. We at MobileRead do not condone the use of tools to bypass DRM, and will not permit any discussion helping others to do so. The attached is posted in the interest of compatibility and bringing more available formats to the iLiad.
Attached Files
File Type: rar convertlit-supporting-spaces.rar (65.0 KB, 979 views)
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:19 PM   #2
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Brilliant!
(If only I'd seen this before I started the massive effort to get all my LIT files converted... right about the time you posted this.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
Quote:
Make sure the .Lit file does not have any spaces of special characters.
What do you mean?
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:18 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Make sure the filename does not have any spaces or special characters.

It is difficult to make Linux scripts work cleanly with MS Windows filenames (with spaces and special characters). The typical Linux filename is alphanumeric plus underscore, dot and dash. See Basic Linux Operations FAQ - Filenames.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Weird... did we lose some posts from this thread? Anyway, I'll check the filenames. That could be it. I have a script that could go through and rename all the files, inserting underscores as needed. Will I need to worry about commas in the directory names above the file, do you think?
Advert
Old 10-07-2007, 10:51 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Will I need to worry about commas in the directory names above the file, do you think?
I think commas are probably ok, but it is easy to check. If the case with a comma fails, copy the same .lit file to a directory name without a comma and see if it works.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Now that I think about it, commas and periods are legal in unix file names, so there shouldn't be a problem. I just need to get rid of the spaces....
Old 10-13-2007, 02:04 PM   #8
DeGodefroi
Zealot

Hmmm I installed the file, and it said reboot the iliad. OK done.
I then clicked on a .lit file renamed in 1 word to avoid spaces or weird chars.
The Iliad green lamp blinks a bit and then nothing happens.
The content lister shows the .lit file as a known type, so it should be working!
So...has anybody else any success?
Old 10-13-2007, 08:24 PM   #9
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Is the file copy protected?
Old 10-15-2007, 06:01 AM   #10
DeGodefroi
Zealot

It is drm free sofar I know. where can I find a for sure non protected lit to verify it?
Old 10-15-2007, 06:03 AM   #11
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

http://www.mslit.com/default.asp?mjr=FRE

I used "War of the Worlds" and "The Time Machine" on this page for testing.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:42 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Another good source for free unprotected MS Reader (LIT) files is the Baen Free Library.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:33 PM   #13
tesa
Ebook Addict
tesa began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad/HP ipaq 5550/Nokia N95
I had exactly the same symptoms/behaviour as DeGodefroi.The .lit files I ve tried are DRM free. (One was created by me actually for test purposes.)
Led blinks, content lister shows the .lit file as a known type but nothing else.
tesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:39 PM   #14
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Can you post the file(s) you are having problems with?
Old 10-16-2007, 05:23 PM   #15
ender`
ender` has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ender` has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ender` has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ender` has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iRex iLiad 2nd edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Now that I think about it, commas and periods are legal in unix file names, so there shouldn't be a problem. I just need to get rid of the spaces....
Actually, the only diallowed characters in Unix filenames are / and nul (0x00). It's just that you need to quote the variables if you expect them to contain spaces. Anyway, here's a fix for the convertlit script that makes it work with spaces in file (and directory) names.
Attached Files
File Type: zip convertlit_script.zip (670 Bytes, 611 views)
ender` is offline   Reply With Quote