Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
Former SONY boy moves to Kindle

Just wanted to say my piece now that I have moved to the land of Kindle.

I previously had a SONY PRS-500, then a 505, then a 300. I currenty have an iPad that I was using for reading, but was always wary of getting it out on the metro train, so I found I was not reading much.

Due to the relatively cheap price of the Kindle 3, and how nice it looked, and based on the few I had seen in use on the train, I just bought one.

I have to say, I love it. The screen is sooo crisp and clear, the speed is brilliant and it works really well.

My only gripe is the handling of collections, or lack of. It does allow you to create collections, but you can;t order them in the way I want. Calibre works well with it, and I have converted all my epubs to mobi format which is nice.

Another nice feature is that my calibre library exported out using calibre2opds is on dropbox, and I can browse it with the kindles web browser and the books can be downloaded direct to my kindle from it.

Very happy.
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
welcome to Kindle land! glad you are enjoying it!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
billmilo
Connoisseur
billmilo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Amazon, who makes, sells, and profits from the Kindle, would like your comments. Please send your comments to the attentive ears of Amazon, kindle-feedback@amazon.com.

I would be more interested in why you chose to join us, and why did you consider yourself a Sony boy. Is e-reader loyalty that important now?

Welcome to the board.
billmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Glad to hear that you are enjoying your Kindle.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I'm almost in the same boat. I sold my Sony and bought an iPad. I love reading on my iPad, but am wary about taking it out to places like the gym. Now that the Kindle is so cheap, I'm really thinking about getting one. With the Kindle App on the iPad, I've been gathering an impressive Kindle library anyway...
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
When I was buying my reader Sony and Kindle were in the final and I'm so glad I bought Kindle, I simply adore it
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by halljames View Post
My only gripe is the handling of collections, or lack of. It does allow you to create collections, but you can;t order them in the way I want.
How is that?
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
I am also a Sony user who bought a Kindle just a few days ago. The reason I did is that I liked the ability to tie Amazon purchases directly to the device (I discovered this on my iPad) and since I am living overseas, it is about the only way to buy English books. As well, the large difference in price was a factor. I was not impressed by the lack of epub but I know now about the various cracks and add-ons so I will be doing that shortly.

I understand the complaints about the lack of order. Not one company so far seems to understand that some people do not want pages and pages of book names. I want to be able to make collections and then collections in the collections. For example, a collection called "Science Fiction" then various collections in that collection named after the author. As far as I know, no book reader will allow this. Frustrating.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:09 AM   #9
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chyron8472 View Post
How is that?
Say for example I transfer a load of Jack Reacher novels from my Calibre library, all tagged up as the Jack Reacher series, in the order of book release, but on the kindle, there is no way to have them listed in a particular order. So I cant tell which book is next to read.

I suppose I could rename the books so the book number is in the title .
Old 02-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #10
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I suppose I could rename the books so the book number is in the title .
I do this.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:24 AM   #11
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Hi there Halljames,

The K3 really does have a lovely screen doesn't it - agreeably it's perhaps not as "versatile" a device in some respects as other readers but it does show books nicely.

I agree about the whole organisation/collections of books thing but I suppose there's always bound to be something that could be improved

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:06 AM   #12
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Welcome and glad you are enjoying your Kindle.

Not sure how I ever lived without mine.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #13
halljames
Zealot

I found this :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121402

Using Plugboards in Calibre means I dont need to mess with my library, it just changes the title of the book on the fly when I send it to the kindle.

Happy Chappy
Old 02-18-2011, 12:43 AM   #14
RiddleMeThis
RiddleMeThis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RiddleMeThis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RiddleMeThis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RiddleMeThis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 with Wifi and 3g
Quote:
Say for example I transfer a load of Jack Reacher novels from my Calibre library, all tagged up as the Jack Reacher series, in the order of book release, but on the kindle, there is no way to have them listed in a particular order. So I cant tell which book is next to read.
If you edit the published date in Calibre, and then sort by author, it will sort them in order.
RiddleMeThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:58 AM   #15
chyron8472
Groupie

I have two issues with Calibre plugboards, though.

First, I have different preferences for how series title should be displayed in book titles, depending on the series.
  • Lord of the Rings should be labeled "LOTR";
  • The Inheritance Cycle (Eragon series) should be labeled "Inheritance" (as the book titles are short and can fit next to a long series name);
  • The O'Malley Chronicles should be labeled "O'Malley";
  • Harry Potter is in a collection all on it's own on my Kindle, it doesn't need a series title at all.
  • I have the first Hitchhiker's Guide book, and the Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide book, but I don't want the series title or index listed for them on my Kindle.

This is quite a complex set of variables.

Second, plugboards don't apply to downloads from Calibre's web server interface, nor if I use calibre2opds+dropbox.

Last edited by chyron8472; 02-19-2011 at 12:26 AM.