Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #16
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I found 16 free Science Fiction ebooks that look to be books from Baen at Amazon.
click here
All but three seem to be from Baen.
APache
Old 03-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #17
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
As per arcadata's post, Angelfall by Susan Ee is $0.99 at amazon.com/.ca. I thought it was an excellent debut Urban Fantasy novel (a bit YA). I'm looking forward to the sequel.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #18
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
There is no rule that says one must post to this thread. However, as a Moderator and as a member here, I find it so much easier to just check the thread.
I tend to check forums by looking at the RSS feed, which only lists new threads and not threads that have been updated recently, so threads like this tend to drop off the RSS feed.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
There is no rule that says one must post to this thread. However, as a Moderator and as a member here, I find it so much easier to just check the thread.

Don
(Moderator)
It also prevents a flood like we've had in the past.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #20
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:

Don
(Moderator)
[PEDANTRY]
That does look a little like using a moderator's status to push a personal preference - n'est-ce pas?
[/PEDANTRY]
Old 03-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #21
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
[PEDANTRY]
That does look a little like using a moderator's status to push a personal preference - n'est-ce pas?
[/PEDANTRY]
I also prefer freebies and bargains to be linked thematically in the same thread.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #22
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
yes, especially like today when the front page is awash with "Christian themed..."
Old 03-05-2013, 03:15 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Neil Gaiman's "Coraline" is the Amazon UK Kindle Deal of the Day today, at 99p:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007D15NE2

UK only, I'm afraid.

Quote:
Shortly after moving into an old house with strange tenants above and below, Coraline discovers a big, carved, brown wooden door at the far corner of the drawing room. And it is locked. Curiosity runs riot in Coraline's mind and she unlocks the door to see what lies behind it. Disappointingly, it opens onto a brick wall. Days later, after exploring the rest of the house and garden, Coraline returns to the same mysterious door and opens it again. This time, however, there is a dark hallway in front of her. Stepping inside, the place beyond has an eerie familiarity about it. The carpet and wallpaper are the same as in her flat. The picture hanging on the wall is the same. Almost. Strangest of all, her mum and dad are there too. Only they have buttons for eyes and seem more possessive than normal. It's a twisted version of her world that is familiar, and yet sinister. And matters get even more surreal for Coraline when her "other" parents seem reluctant to let her leave.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:21 AM   #24
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Neil Gaiman's "Coraline" is the Amazon UK Kindle Deal of the Day today, at 99p:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007D15NE2

UK only, I'm afraid.
Thanks! I have it in hardback, but £0.99 for an ebook edition with a new introduction is too good to pass up.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:26 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Thanks! I have it in hardback, but £0.99 for an ebook edition with a new introduction is too good to pass up.
Yes, I snapped it up myself, too. I'll probably get around to reading it in 15 years or so .
Old 03-05-2013, 03:37 AM   #26
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Stephen Goldin's Tsar Wars, book one of his Agents of ISIS series, is free at Smashwords with coupon code RW100

"Some fans with very long memories may detect a resemblance to the old "Family d'Alembert" series of decades past, based on a novella by E.E. "Doc" Smith. Rest assured, though: Tsar Wars is a totally original novel. The universe and the characters have been thoroughly re-imagined, and the remaining books--all totally written by me in the first place--were revised top-to-bottom to make the Agents of ISIS series 100% Goldin."

The others in the series are available at half price with coupon code REW50
Old 03-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #27
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, I snapped it up myself, too. I'll probably get around to reading it in 15 years or so .
Give it a go HarryT, it will probably only take you an hour to read it. Personally, I found it to be marvellously creepy.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #28
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Possibly of interest, a couple of established author/editor sfnal Kickstarter projects ending Real Soon Now, if you want to get in on them:

Less than 3 days to go:

Bride of Death: A Marla Mason Novel by Tim Pratt continues his popular urban fantasy series, originally published by Random House. At $10 for the ebook, this is a bit pricey, but at the $40 "Paper Haters" pledge level, you get the new novel and e-books of the previous 3 novels and a complete collection of the short stories written so far (and apparently perhaps a newly written short as a stretch goal).

This is still a bit pricey at $8 per book, but Pratt happens to offer the 3 previous novels free to read in their entirety online (with chapter writing notes; I love chapter writing notes!), has been putting up full sampler recently-published Marla Mason short stories online in his blog, and maintains a handy list to all his freebie short stories online.

He ended up being very generous with his other Kickstarter project, which ultimately gave me a complete collection of all his short works when I'd signed up at the basic e-book pledge level just to fund his third print-available collection, and I enjoyed the stories I read, so I figure I might as well toss a bit of extra money his way to support not only the author, but an illustrator as well, even if the bonus e-books are available for online read and I could technically assemble my own.

NB: The $50 pledge level which says that the Marla Mason story collection is exclusive to it is meant for people getting a paperback copy, see the bottom of the page's FAQ for details of exactly what's in the different bundles.

Raygun Chronicles: Space Opera (Science Fiction Anthology) edited by Bryan Thomas Schmidt, out from Canadian small press Everyday Publishing for $5 for the basic e-book pledge level.

Slated to contain newly-written stories by Hugo-nominees Mike Resnick & Seanan McGuire (nominated under her penname Mira Grant), Baen-published Sarah J. Hoyt, former Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction editor Kristine Kathryn Rusch (also a Roc-published author herself), Star Trek tie-in novelist A.C. Crispin, and others whose names you'll get a decent listing for if you search them in the Internet Science Fiction Database.

This is slated for a November print release, and they're just above halfway in the necessary funding, but I pledged for their other theme anthology late last year (which had stories by Robert Silverberg, among others) and as of right now they've gotten to the point where the e-book advance copies are nearly ready, which seems a fairly good turnaround.

Fireside magazine: Year Two edited by Bryan White. $24 for a 1-year, 12 issue e-book format subscription, $35 pledge lets you get this year, and last year's issues as well in e-book format.

A popular online magazine, slated to include stories by Nebula/Hugo-nominee Ken Liu (I really liked his shorts in last year's Hugo Voter Packet), and popular urban fantasy writer Lilith Saintcrow, among others listed on the page.

Longer term projects with over a week to go:

Robert A. Heinlein's Citizen of the Galaxy Graphic Novel by Eric Gignac, to be illustrated by DC comics artist Steve Erwin. Just what it says in the title, with $10 for an e-book copy and $45 for a bundle with hardcover copy, softcover copy, and e-book copy (aarghaaarghaargh I want this level, but they won't ship outside the States ).

They say that if this Kickstarter's successful, they'll adapt more of the Virginia Heinlein Editions of RAH's works into GNs.

Long Hidden: Speculative Fiction From the Margins of History edited by Bart Leib. $10 basic pledge, but $20 will get you the e-book and a subscription to a magazine by the same publisher (full contents seem to be available online, though), and $30 will get you the ebook and all 6 of the publisher's other ebooks so far (includes 3 anthologies), for an amortized cost of $4.28 per title (probably what I'll be getting once I have a quickie skim compare of the magazine contents vs. the novels).

Speculative fiction from a minority perspective, will include stories by above-mentioned Ken Liu and James Tiptree Award-winner Nnedi Okorafor (ISFDB entry, Wikipedia), Hugo-nominated Aliette de Bodard, Bram Stoker-nominee Tananarive Due (ISFDB entry, Wikipedia), among others.

Well, hope you managed to spot something in that half-page of TL;DR that you might like to get (especially if it's something I also really want funding for as well). Apologies for the length and rambling.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #29
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Some established author self-pub KDP freebies for today:

Feeding the Feral Children by David Farland aka Dave Wolverton (ISFDB entry, Wikipedia). Historical fantasy set in ancient China & Persia.

Unlikely by Frances Pauli (ISFDB entry, has been published by Mundania Press). 1st in Kingdoms Gone fairy tale fantasy series.

Beyond the Waters of the World by Ruth Nestvold (ISFDB entry, Wikipedia). Sf novella, 2nd in Looking Through Lace series (previously freebied). Also offers her Nebula-nominated sf short and a mini-collection of 3 previously-published fantasy tales free to all via Smashwords.

Repeats from Liu Cixin and Michael Boatman (ISFDB entry, Wikipedia).

PS. If you thought you might be interested in the Raygun Chronicles Space Opera anthology Kickstarter project in the post above, it's got only 4 hours to go and is still a bit short of its funding goal.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #30
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
PS. If you thought you might be interested in the Raygun Chronicles Space Opera anthology Kickstarter project in the post above, it's got only 4 hours to go and is still a bit short of its funding goal.
It's going to be close. Hope it makes it. I would be the first I've been involved with that didn't.
Closed Thread