Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Today's Writing Rant

I've completed some short creative non-fiction memoir pieces over the last month or so (even though some were started/planned for ages) and in looking for markets I find that most of them have already ruled themselves out due to various geographic, length or time restrictions. In addition the ones I found as possibilities don't pay anything (even copies since many are on-line pubs) yet they want 'all rights.' Are they friggin' crazy? Don't answer that I know. I just find it very abhorrent that they would ask for and expect to get all rights with literally no payment.

Last edited by kennyc; 12-28-2012 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Not only a lame rant, but included typos.. :D
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Only one paragraph, Kenny? That's not a rant. It's barely a spit.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried to be succinct.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Ignore me, I'm always jealous of eloquent brevity.

Maybe you need to start your own online magazine, something intended as a service to writers, rather than an exploitation of them. Instead of asking for all rights up front, publication in the online magazine could be with limited rights, and then additional rights could be requested for (and at the time of) any subsequent use - for example print editions of "best of" collections and so on.

Of course such an endeavour automatically has all the same problems that we face as writers anyway: how to get noticed. But, maybe, by collecting from different sources it might be a place people would turn to, to discover new writings that they want to follow, and so benefit both writers and itself.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:49 AM   #5
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I was asked by a musical institution to do online guitar videos back when I had instructional videos up on you-tube. It sounded very interesting, and they even paid if people took the courses you uploaded. I started to look into it, and in the contract they stated that they would own the rights to the video. No big deal, I was doing it for them. However after that they stated (in quite a bit of legal mumbo jumbo) that they would then own ANY video you uploaded to several different sites (youtube, muvio etc).

When I pointed this out, they said "oh that's not true, anything you create outside of us is yours". However when asked to pull it from the contract before signing, they refused. I'm still doing videos, they aren't even around anymore.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:06 AM   #6
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post

Maybe you need to start your own online magazine, something intended as a service to writers, rather than an exploitation of them. Instead of asking for all rights up front, publication in the online magazine could be with limited rights, and then additional rights could be requested for (and at the time of) any subsequent use - for example print editions of "best of" collections and so on.

Of course such an endeavour automatically has all the same problems that we face as writers anyway: how to get noticed. But, maybe, by collecting from different sources it might be a place people would turn to, to discover new writings that they want to follow, and so benefit both writers and itself.
Or a blog!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:07 AM   #7
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I was asked by a musical institution to do online guitar videos back when I had instructional videos up on you-tube. It sounded very interesting, and they even paid if people took the courses you uploaded. I started to look into it, and in the contract they stated that they would own the rights to the video. No big deal, I was doing it for them. However after that they stated (in quite a bit of legal mumbo jumbo) that they would then own ANY video you uploaded to several different sites (youtube, muvio etc).

When I pointed this out, they said "oh that's not true, anything you create outside of us is yours". However when asked to pull it from the contract before signing, they refused. I'm still doing videos, they aren't even around anymore.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:41 AM   #8
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
That was a pretty lame rant. I am disappointed.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:42 AM   #9
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
That was a pretty lame rant. I am disappointed.
You're free to write your own.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:43 AM   #10
kennyc

Quote:
Only one paragraph, Kenny? That's not a rant. It's barely a spit.
Guess I failed the Harlan Test.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:52 AM   #11
kennyc

Quote:

Actually the plan for these particular pieces is to create enough of them to put together as a collection, but was/am hoping to publish a few here and there as I go.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:25 AM   #12
proofread
proofread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.proofread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.proofread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.proofread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.proofread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.proofread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.proofread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.proofread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.proofread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.proofread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.proofread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Actually the plan for these particular pieces is to create enough of them to put together as a collection, but was/am hoping to publish a few here and there as I go.
Kennyc, can we see all those collection here ? Is it possible to see that any other place?
proofread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:48 AM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by proofread View Post
Kennyc, can we see all those collection here ? Is it possible to see that any other place?
Due to rules I can't provide self-promotion links but check the links in my sig and the author/promotion/blog sub-forum here. I've just started a second blog (Mansions of the Mind) for my more personal/memoir stuff to go along with the original blog which is more article/science. I've self-published a few of those.

Or PM/email me if the above doesn't work.

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #14
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I started to look into it, and in the contract they stated that they would own the rights to the video. No big deal, I was doing it for them. However after that they stated (in quite a bit of legal mumbo jumbo) that they would then own ANY video you uploaded to several different sites (youtube, muvio etc
There's one that claims all right to any content at all, in any form invented or otherwise.

It looks like we're reaching the apex of capitalism's self destructive spiral- businesses resorting to "worst business practices" simply because everyone else is.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote