Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 01:57 AM   #1
armaddon
armaddon began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ Reader 6"
Astak EZ Reader 6" Stops while updating firmware

Hi everyone, I'm at my wit's end with this problem My wife's EZ Reader froze up the other day, and the reset button wouldn't do the trick so I had her remove the battery for awhile and try the reset again. Eventually she was able to get it to reset, but it would never get past the boot screen (with the progress bars at the bottom).

After reading around, I found some firmware updates. I have a 512 MB SD card, formatted FAT with the Panasonic SD format utility, and tried the 2.20 off of theezreader website. It would start, get to step 5 (Update Resource), then stop with the bar halfway across the screen. I looked around for another SD card and possible other firmware files just in case. I found my 4 gig SD card, but when I tried any file it was say "Invalidate File Please Check Your Update File", and when I tried any other version of the firmware on the SD card, it would get to step 5 and freeze again. Currently downloading the latest Hanlin firmware just in case, but I'm not too optomistic.. any suggestions?

edit: Hanlin 2.20EN.091124 does the same thing.. Also, I noticed if I format the card FAT32, if only gets to step 4 (Update Parser App) and stops... odd I suppose?

Last edited by armaddon; 06-23-2010 at 02:20 AM.
armaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It is possible you have a bad battery, or at least the battery isn't fully charged.

If you were not doing so, I suggest leaving the wall USB charger plugged in while retrying to reflash the firmware with the 512 MB SD card. If the charger is plugged in, with a full battery charge, and the reflash fails - then call Astak.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Armaddon, doing a firmware upgrade eats POWER!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaddon View Post
Hi everyone, I'm at my wit's end with this problem My wife's EZ Reader froze up the other day, and the reset button wouldn't do the trick so I had her remove the battery for awhile and try the reset again. Eventually she was able to get it to reset, but it would never get past the boot screen (with the progress bars at the bottom).

After reading around, I found some firmware updates. I have a 512 MB SD card, formatted FAT with the Panasonic SD format utility, and tried the 2.20 off of theezreader website. It would start, get to step 5 (Update Resource), then stop with the bar halfway across the screen. I looked around for another SD card and possible other firmware files just in case. I found my 4 gig SD card, but when I tried any file it was say "Invalidate File Please Check Your Update File", and when I tried any other version of the firmware on the SD card, it would get to step 5 and freeze again. Currently downloading the latest Hanlin firmware just in case, but I'm not too optomistic.. any suggestions

edit: Hanlin 2.20EN.091124 does the same thing.. Also, I noticed if I format the card FAT32, if only gets to step 4 (Update Parser App) and stops... odd I suppose?
Dear Armaddon:

Doing a firmware upgrade may seem relatively easy and takes only 5-10 minutes... but it eats power (battery charge) like a giant Black Hole! Always, always recharge fully (10-12 hours whether you see a green light or not) before doing a firmware upgrade! I think that is the problem. RECHARGE a full 10-12 hours before starting!!

The EZ Reader is a wonderful device and very stable... BUT it gets cranky on anywhere near low charge!! Always recharge fully when the Battery Charge Life Gauge shows only a bit less than 1/2 charge remaining!!

Last edited by Robertb; 06-23-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
armaddon
armaddon began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ Reader 6"
It definitely wasn't a charge issue, but I eventually just borrowed a couple more SD cards from some friends and a 1GB card worked! Updated to the latest firmware on www.theEZeader.com and everything is working fine. Apparently none of the three 4GB cards I had would even recognize the firmware file, and the 512MB card I had must just be bad.
armaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad it ended well.

Quote:
It definitely wasn't a charge issue, but I eventually just borrowed a couple more SD cards from some friends and a 1GB card worked! Updated to the latest firmware on www.theEZeader.com and everything is working fine. Apparently none of the three 4GB cards I had would even recognize the firmware file, and the 512MB card I had must just be bad.
Dear armaddon:

I am glad at least you are back up and reading. The present cards on the market are confusing. I do not know why some work and some do not. Numerous people have purchased and used 4GB cards and they work perfectly.

I know it has to have somethingto do with either speed or the controller in the SD card. Our expert on cards is over in Taiwan now at the factory there. I will ask him when he comes back.

It does appear to be a manufacturer problem. Some work and some do not. I want to find out WHY?
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Mayhap how the cards are formatted?
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:23 PM   #7
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Apparently none of the three 4GB cards I had would even recognize the firmware file, and the 512MB card I had must just be bad.
4GB cards are NOT SD cards, they are SDHC cards. The SD Association specifies SD cards only up to 2 GB in size, while SDHC cards can be up to 32 GB in size.
http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/sdcard/

The Hanlin V3 (6" EZReader) requires an SD card for firmware update, and if the SD card is larger than 1GB, then the firmware file MUST reside in the first GB of the card due to an addressing limitation in the bootloader. The SD card used for firmware update should also only be formatted as FAT16.

FWIW, the FAQ at theezreader.com has some errors regarding how to go about doing a firmware update for the Hanlin V3 (6" EZReader). The most glaring error is saying that the update can be done with a 4GB SD card, when in fact, no such card exists according to the SD Association specifications. Jinke/Hanlin (the proverbial "horses mouth") has a much more accurate procedure in their own FAQ.

http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...ervice/faq.asp

Quote:
6. How to update V3?
A:Notice: In order to guarantee the battery has enough power for update, please connect the device with the charger before start the update.
Step 1. Download update package.
Step 2. Unzip the V3 update pack, and copy unzipped files into the root of SD card. (a. The storage of the SD card should be less than 1GB or equal to 1GB; b. The SD card must be FAT 16. )
Step 3. Insert the SD card into the V3.
Step 4. Hold to press V+ button (Volume up button, which is on the top of the right side of the device),switch on the device (If the battery is full, just switch on the device, if the battery is no full, please connect the charger.)
Step 5. The update interface appears and presses OK to begin the update. And wait until it is finished.
Step 6. Reset V3.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
Robertb

I will change the FAQ sheet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
4GB cards are NOT SD cards, they are SDHC cards. The SD Association specifies SD cards only up to 2 GB in size, while SDHC cards can be up to 32 GB in size.
http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/sdcard/

The Hanlin V3 (6" EZReader) requires an SD card for firmware update, and if the SD card is larger than 1GB, then the firmware file MUST reside in the first GB of the card due to an addressing limitation in the bootloader. The SD card used for firmware update should also only be formatted as FAT16.

FWIW, the FAQ at theezreader.com has some errors regarding how to go about doing a firmware update for the Hanlin V3 (6" EZReader). The most glaring error is saying that the update can be done with a 4GB SD card, when in fact, no such card exists according to the SD Association specifications. Jinke/Hanlin (the proverbial "horses mouth") has a much more accurate procedure in their own FAQ.

http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...ervice/faq.asp
Dear Dave_s:

I will check on this. I was of the opinion that there was 4GB in SD. If this checks out I will promptly change the FAQ sheet and I do apologize for the confusion!
Old 06-30-2010, 02:16 AM   #9
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Dave_s:

I will check on this. I was of the opinion that there was 4GB in SD. If this checks out I will promptly change the FAQ sheet and I do apologize for the confusion!
It is the last item in the first chart of the SD Association web page that I provided a link to. It is also in the detailed specification itself, but it is much easier to find in the web page that I provided a link to. FWIW, the SD Association is the industry association that actually defines all of the physical and electrical characteristics of SD cards, SDHC cards, and SDXC cards.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #10
Robertb

Techncially, this is correct!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
It is the last item in the first chart of the SD Association web page that I provided a link to. It is also in the detailed specification itself, but it is much easier to find in the web page that I provided a link to. FWIW, the SD Association is the industry association that actually defines all of the physical and electrical characteristics of SD cards, SDHC cards, and SDXC cards.
Dear Dave_S:

Our card expert says you are right. Although people often believe that SD cards go to 4 or 8GB... technically, they stop at 2GB. Anything larger is an SDHC. I will change the FAQ sheet to get it right.

Thank you!!