Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 09:34 AM   #16
Surfergirl
Enthusiast
Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505 (Blue)/PRS-505 (Red)/iPhone 3GS
Oh dear! Is this the start.....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post

Harry Potter:
American fantastic editions, unfortunately, the stopped after the first two books
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) [Deluxe Edition]
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2, Collector's Edition)
I'm a sucker for special editions (I've already got the LOTR and Hobbit ones), so I thought I'd treat myself to these - I obviously have more money than sense! Unfortunately, when I tried to purchase them from Amazon.com, I got the dreaded "we cannot deliver this item to your address" !!

I then changed the address to my BongoUS address instead, and they went through without a problem. This is the very first time I've ever had a problem ordering US editions of books to be sent to the UK.
Surfergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:41 AM   #17
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfergirl View Post
I'm a sucker for special editions (I've already got the LOTR and Hobbit ones), so I thought I'd treat myself to these - I obviously have more money than sense! Unfortunately, when I tried to purchase them from Amazon.com, I got the dreaded "we cannot deliver this item to your address" !!

I then changed the address to my BongoUS address instead, and they went through without a problem. This is the very first time I've ever had a problem ordering US editions of books to be sent to the UK.
The first book is out of stock. You have to buy it either on amazon.com market place or ebay. Not every seller on amazon market place sends abroad.
However, I would be very surprised if you tried to buy the second book on its own and failed...
Maybe because you put them into the basket together and one of them is from market place seller who doesn't deliver to the UK, you were refused?

I am a sucker for special editions of my favourites too
Luckily, there are not many of them.
So far, The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Sherlock Holmes and The Wheel of Time.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 02:08 PM   #18
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Oh, brilliant!
We finally found a reasonable good explanation why she is refusing to publish ebooks!
She has stated it's due to piracy (I don't have a reference, but I think it's on her site). The problem is, it's become a self-fulling thing, where the only way to get an HP e-book is via piracy.

When she first said no e-Book, e-Readers were not at all popular, so I could understand why she'd conclude that legitimate e-Books would simply fall to piracy. But now we have Kindles, Readers, iPads (Saturday, 9am at your Apple store... go go go go!!! ), and a bunch of other paper-like e-Readers. I'd wager the majority of Kindle users have no idea how to pirate a book (with no study or statistics to back me up!), so such devices have legitimized eBooks. You can now expect to be reasonably compensated for your work.

This is why I don't see why she hasn't changed her mind.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:14 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
She has stated it's due to piracy (I don't have a reference, but I think it's on her site). The problem is, it's become a self-fulling thing, where the only way to get an HP e-book is via piracy.
See, now the rumor I heard is that she doesn't think that reading it as an ebook is the right "experience" of reading a book. Although, I guess she feels listening to some one read it from a CD recording is.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:00 PM   #20
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
See, now the rumor I heard is that she doesn't think that reading it as an ebook is the right "experience" of reading a book. Although, I guess she feels listening to some one read it from a CD recording is.

BOb
Stephen Fry is better than ... that other guy.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 03:05 PM   #21
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Quote:
This would be an opposition to e-Books in general, then.

If you ever read any e-Reader thread on Ars Technica, you get people bitching and complaining that they lose the tactile feel of a book when you go "e". In almost every case, none have used or even seen a Kindle (et. al.), and it just comes down to anti-technology bitching -- the site used to live up to the name "Art of Technology," but not so much any more.

Before e-Readers, I was in full agreement with the "tactile" issue, particularly in terms of eye strain. Now, you can sure argue the Kindle doesn't feel like a book, but you're really on very thin ice saying that it's degraded the experience way beyond its paper counterparts. So, once again, I can see Rowling's point -- five years ago! But it's no longer valid.

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 03-31-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:36 PM   #22
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Looks like we're both right on Rowling.

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/...5/114757.shtml

"Rowling has cited two reasons over the years: concern about online piracy (which has never been a major problem for the Potter books), and the desire for readers to experience the books on paper."

-Pie
Old 03-31-2010, 05:43 PM   #23
clockworkzombie
Connoisseur
clockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad
Quote:
Heck, they could save some money and grab those nice ebooks off the darknet and sell them.

BOb

The band King Crimson did that with a live 4CD box set. They found all the best bootlegs on the market, saying copyright belongs to the band, cleaned them up an released them.
clockworkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:23 PM   #24
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgk View Post
Where's the leverage? How do you bully someone who is worth 100s of millions of pounds and has complete and utter control?
If this were the United States, the obvious solution would be for Bloomsbury to sue Rowling for 'unrealized profits' or some such.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:38 PM   #25
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
If this were the United States, the obvious solution would be for Bloomsbury to sue Rowling for 'unrealized profits' or some such.
Hoping that Rowling would buy them to shut them up?
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:54 AM   #26
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Talking Way to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworkzombie View Post
The band King Crimson did that with a live 4CD box set. They found all the best bootlegs on the market, saying copyright belongs to the band, cleaned them up an released them.
And why not!
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:40 AM   #27
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
concern about online piracy (which has never been a major problem for the Potter books)
I do wonder what that 'throwaway' comment (from the original Newsmax 'article') was supposed to mean - It seems to me that the only one that it's not a major problem for is the 'pirates', as they seemed to easily manage to make HP eBook releases, while publishers get no income from eBooks and would-be legit eBook readers have no (legal) sources, which would seem to be a (major?) problem...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #28
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
I do wonder what that 'throwaway' comment (from the original Newsmax 'article') was supposed to mean - It seems to me that the only one that it's not a major problem for is the 'pirates', as they seemed to easily manage to make HP eBook releases, while publishers get no income from eBooks and would-be legit eBook readers have no (legal) sources, which would seem to be a (major?) problem...
I was curious about that too. I have a few theories of my own.

It was a bit older of an article. At the time it was written, there wasn't a lot of book piracy going on, at least not compared to music and movie piracy -- and let's be blunt here, there are still TONS of places to get pirated music and movies, but not very many places to grab books. However, the Kindle and Reader (etc.) have made eBooks more of an item, and piracy will increase as sales go up.

He may also have been inferring that the HP books made so much money, so obviously piracy didn't hurt their sales. However, I would bet that the publishers would take issue with that conclusion.

I definitely want to see good, legal eBook versions of the HP series. As I said before, I agreed with both reasons for no HP eBooks... 5 years ago. Particularly the idea of reading on a freakin' monitor! Sheesh. But there are now great e-Readers that look and feel and read like books. Similarly, iTunes has shown that a legal download market means more sales, not less.

-Pie
Old 04-04-2010, 07:05 PM   #29
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
And why not!
I know, it's brilliant.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote