Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #46
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
These are "upgraded" features that the OP is interested in (also available in the 600 and 700).

Now to be clear, I'm not saying the 505 isn't a good or great reader because that wouldn't be true...

Yes, but you are focusing on reader features and ignoring the system and formats which is just as, if not more important. To me this makes the kindle far from an upgrade when the entire system is considered (at least at this point in time) when choosing.

I'm hoping that Amazon will see the light and embrace the epub format, then we can all truly rejoice. (well and once we get past DRM once and for all! )
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #47
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yes, but you are focusing on reader features and ignoring the system and formats which is just as, if not more important. To me this makes the kindle far from an upgrade when the entire system is considered (at least at this point in time) when choosing.

I'm hoping that Amazon will see the light and embrace the epub format, then we can all truly rejoice. (well and once we get past DRM once and for all! )
I could say you're doing just the opposite... focusing on formats (which can be converted .. except for Topaz and LRX) and ignoring features that a lot of people like and want. Not sure what you mean by system. Everyone YMMV!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #48
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I could say you're doing just the opposite... focusing on formats (which can be converted .. except for Topaz and LRX) and ignoring features that a lot of people like and want. Not sure what you mean by system. Everyone YMMV!
Sure you can say that, but no I'm not. I've mentioned both in every post.

I'm simply pointing out the entire picture, not just part of it. If the OP needs annotation capability and desires a dictionary then those are available in a number of readers (not the 505 as has been discussed).

Certainly if the kindle meets the op's needs and they are willing to live with the restrictions of the Amazon system (sorry you don't get it) then that's great.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #49
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Certainly if the kindle meets the op's needs and they are willing to live with the restrictions of the Amazon system (sorry you don't get it) then that's great.
That's wasn't necessary. I just needed clarification of what you meant by "system".
Old 10-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #50
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
I think the appropriate thing to say is:

It can be both an upgrade or a downgrade depending on your requirements and how you prioritize them. Neither will be perfect for what you want, so you need to look at all the features, rank them, rate them and figure out for yourself if it would be an upgrade or a downgrade.

For some of us, when we go through that process, it is a downgrade. For others it isn't. Find out all you need to know about these devices and then make a well-informed decision for yourself. I wouldn't blindly follow anyone's biased viewpoint alone. Neither device is miles better than the other to have a clear cut advantage.
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #51
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
I think the appropriate thing to say is:

It can be both an upgrade or a downgrade depending on your requirements and how you prioritize them. Neither will be perfect for what you want, so you need to look at all the features, rank them, rate them and figure out for yourself if it would be an upgrade or a downgrade.

For some of us, when we go through that process, it is a downgrade. For others it isn't. Find out all you need to know about these devices and then make a well-informed decision for yourself. I wouldn't blindly follow anyone's biased viewpoint alone. Neither device is miles better than the other to have a clear cut advantage.
Well said.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:14 PM   #52
kennyc

Quote:
That's wasn't necessary. I just needed clarification of what you meant by "system".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System
Old 10-08-2009, 05:29 PM   #53
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
<sigh>
Old 10-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Since the screens come from the same manufacturer, I think it's reasonable to assume to that some defective screens have hit a few different readers.
According to what we know, some defective screens were made by LG. These are the ones that have the sunlight issue.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #55
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
If you want a dictionary, note-taking, etc., I think the comparison is between the Kindle and the 600 Reader. And I'd give the edge to the Reader. Unless, for some (perverse) reason, you are intent on the "instant gratification" of wireless transfer and being hogtied to Amazon's restrictive format. A tiny bit of foresight is all it takes to get lots of great books on any ebook device, enough for a l-o-o-o-o-o-o-ng vacation. I see wireless as a negative, particularly because it eats up battery life, which is far more important to me for regular use.

Back to the OP: I just went through another decision process in selecting an ebook device for my mom, and came up with the venerable 505 Reader. Why? Great screen and solid build quality, long battery life, variety of formats to choose from, and library options. (Anyone who nitpicks on Kindle books being $1-$2 cheaper than Sony's offerings--3rd party sources notwithstanding--fails to acknowledge that every time I borrow a new ebook from my local library, I'm saving $10 or more over the Kindle purchase option.)

Besides, my mom will like the simpler interface, and just wants to read books--she doesn't need a dictionary or note-taking. So it was an easy choice. WRT another earlier comment, I find the 505 very handy to read, with well-placed buttons (I added the page turn navigation-button hack a long time ago, which gives me 3 sets of page turn buttons on the 505, with no real risk of 'accidental' turns.) The 505 with cover feels more solid and less bulky than the big, plastic Kindle, IMO. More screen, less case for reading.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #56
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
According to what we know, some defective screens were made by LG. These are the ones that have the sunlight issue.
I didn't realize LG had jumped on the e-ink screen wagon. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #57
dsuden
Connoisseur
dsuden doesn't litterdsuden doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Glad I Switched to Kindle 2

I made the switch from PRS 505 to Kindle, and am VERY happy I did. I had the Sony PRS 505 for about a year, and have had the Kindle 2 for a half year.

The Sony was nice, don't get me wrong. But it konked out on me, and when I decided to replace it, I tried their touchscreen model, which was like trying to read through a layer of Vaseline. I sent it back and got a Kindle 2. I personally have liked it much better than the 505.

I love the connectivity, the USB cord that has an adapter that lets you change it into a charger cord, the instant dictionary, which is by far my favorite feature, and occasionally, the Whispernet access, which lets me do things like check the weather, read a few news headlines, or look something up on Wikipedia, all for free, ongoing.

Despite Sony being metal and Kindle being plastic, I honestly don't feel the Kindle 2 is significantly more fragile, though I wouldn't use either one of them without a protective cover under any circumstances.

Pricewise, the nice drop the Kindle 2 just took makes it even more attractive; though I'm glad to have had mine this time (since early summer) enough not to worry too much about the extra bucks I spent on it.

Kindle 2 lacks folders which I definitely regret. I hope they upgrade it. Nice that upgrades can come to you right through Whispernet, and I'm hoping they'll send me one with folders.

Kindle 2 supports fewer formats...bad AMAZON!

Sony has an AWFUL software interface to the PC, which I don't miss at all.

Kindle 2's text-to-speech function actually is pretty usable, and occasionally I make use of it when I want to work on something while "listening" rather than reading. Sure, it sounds like Sinbad the Sailor, but what the heck...arrrrr.

I wouldn't rate the screen of one as being better than the other. The Kindle 2 and the PRS 505 are about the same clarity and contrast, about the same shade of grey background. You need decent light for either of them.

I love Kindle 2's slenderness, its snappy little keyboard for typing in searches, something I use a lot, and works despite my rather large hands and fingers.

Occasionally I use the notetaking feature, and I do like that you can highlight and save snippets of what you're reading. Sometimes when I run across a terrific quote from a book, I'll save it out, transfer it to my PC, and send it along to someone I think would appreciate it.

Ok, enough already...bottom line, I thought I was a die-hard PRS guy and I liked a lot of things about it, but Kindle 2 has got me hooked.
dsuden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #58
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
I did do the 30 day trial on a K2 and sent it back promptly thereafter. Got a 505 and find it much better. Far easier to read from, which is the ONLY reason I wanted one of these.

The whole wireless thing is a neat toy but absolutely unnecessary imo. I found the text-to-speech thingie another worthless toy, unless you enjoy every 5th word not being pronounced humanlike at all. If you want a wireless shopper, go for it. If you want to actually read books, get the one you can read from the easiest, whether it is a 505, 600, or some other reader altogether. I found the 505 an easier size to manage, much more contrast between text and background(my biggest complaint with the K2), and at the time it was cheaper. A nice bonus, but I would have gotten the 505 in the end because of readability regardless of price.

I agree, the K2 is NOT a step up. Maybe an even purchase if the K2 has the features you demand (maybe you don't have a home computer to download books to), but my #1 advice is get the one that is easiest to hold for extended periods and easiest to read in various light conditions. I can easily read my 505 in low light and could not read the K2 AT ALL. Spend most of my time standing in windows or leaning in on my lamps. Hated it.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #59
Siwickimom
Bookin' it!
Siwickimom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505- Sangria :) and Black Aluratek Libre
Quote:
I wouldn't consider that an upgrade at all. I got interested due to the kindle, but chose the Sony 505 after doing my research.

What he said!

There are books upon books...you just have to know where to find them

I have to say that after spending quality time with a Kindle 2 belonging to one of my friends, I am *very* glad I chose the Sony and don't regret it at all. It feels much sturdier to me, with its metal housing, and the screen quality (to me) is miles better on my Sony. I honestly do not mind the little bit of extra effort that I (sometimes) have to put in converting and obtaining books that I want. And, honestly, for me...I have to admit I am bit of a 'quick clicker.' It's probably not the best thing for me to have access to the Kindle Store via Whispernet at any time, lol. I think I would spend much more $ on eBooks had I gone with the Kindle. With my Sony, I have to search a little harder and sometimes convert to a different format and that usually tempers my impulsiveness. I have to really want it to hunt it down and get it into a format that suits my Sony (not that it's all that difficult, it's just that for certain titles it is definitely more involved than the 'clicky clicky oooooo new book!' that you get w/ Amazon).

Now, I am sorely tempted to upgrade from the 505 to the 600- but the Kindle, even with the price drop, isn't tempting to me at all.

So much of this is all based on personal preference. It honestly depends on what you want, when you want it, and how much effort are you willing to put into it. Kindles are hands down the most 'grab and go' of the options that are out there. And if that is what best suits your lifestyle, then who am I to tell you not to get one?

Last edited by Siwickimom; 10-10-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Siwickimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #60
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
While I really like many features of my Kindle, if your main goal is to get more content and money is tight, I don't know if it would be really worth it to change.

Things I love about my Kindle: content search, dictionary lookup, annotation, instant gratification and the money I save through not buying books ahead of time. I get samples and only buy the books when I've read the sample. With the wireless delivery, it doesn't matter if I'm out when I'm ready for the rest of the book. I can get it right away. I read a lot of samples and end up not buying the book. I would have likely bought them if I'd only had a short excerpt of a few paragraphs to read.

I think it's a great device but I have no need to tear down other devices. Everyone has their preferences. I didn't buy a Sony 505 even though it was out long before the Kindle because I knew I wanted to search my books and have a dictionary. Those were part of the minimum basic features set for me. Not everyone cares about that. There are plenty of happy 505 owners that have never missed them.

If I love the Kindle so much, why am I not telling you to run out and get one? You're a student. Money is tight. If you're going to spend this kind of money, it should make a big difference. $250 buys a lot of beer. Your main issue seems to be content availability. Check out some other stores mentioned besides Sony. If you haven't upgraded your firmware for ePub support, I encourage you to do that. It will increase your options. I think the new Barnes and Noble shop even offers sample chapters. Sure, there are some titles that Amazon has that others don't but there aren't that many. Prices are equalizing, too. Also, you can see if your local library has ebooks. You can read library ebooks on both but it's easier transferring them to the Sony with Adobe Digital Editions than stripping and converting them for the Kindle. That can save you some money.

While you may like some of the added features of the Kindle, I think there's going to be a big shake up in this industry over the next few years. There are some interesting new technologies coming. If the additional features currently available aren't things you urgently need, you might do better both in both price and features if you wait a year or two. Heck, maybe the format wars will shake out by then, too.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote