Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your prefered Ebook font?
Serif (ie: Times New Roman, Antiqua, Georgia, Bookman) 54 72.97%
Sans Serif (ie: Arial, Eurostile, Tahoma, Century Gothic) 18 24.32%
Other (Please Elaborate in Post) 3 4.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2008, 03:19 AM   #1
Tefeari
Tefeari began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
What Font Type(s) do you prefer?

As a brand new owner of a Sony Reader I'm finding myself in a debate over whether I prefer to read books in Serif or Sans Serif fonts, primarily there is the ever-raging debate between Times New Roman and Arial.

I'm curious, what font(s) or font families do you all prefer to read your ebooks in?

Last edited by Tefeari; 08-12-2008 at 03:24 AM.
Tefeari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:59 AM   #2
mcramer
Kiwi reader
mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone
Wow - so far the only san serif reader!

Give me Verdana any day.
mcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2008, 05:43 AM   #3
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Sans-Serif FTW! I like many of the humanist group fonts.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:43 AM   #4
shawn99
shawn99 began at the beginning.

How do I get new fonts?
shawn99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
SurgE
Serial Bricker
SurgE doesn't litterSurgE doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KSO
I replaced my UI font with calibri and the reading text font with cambria. Looks awesome imo.
SurgE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I don't care what the font is, as long as it is LARGE.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I like the Gentium font recommended elsewhere on this forum. I have trouble with both Ariel & Times Roman trying to distinguish between "c" and "e" and some other minor issues.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I no longer have them at hand, but studies I've read over the years demonstrate that serif fonts are easier to read over long periods even though many people prefer the clean look of san serif.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #9
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I no longer have them at hand, but studies I've read over the years demonstrate that serif fonts are easier to read over long periods even though many people prefer the clean look of san serif.
Heh, I would like a look at those studies. Do you have a link, or was it a paper affair, and in that case, do you have a reference?
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #10
jakewastaken
Media Whore.
jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I haven't messed with the font on my reader yet in any capacity but I'm open to the idea. I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread for something that looks appealing.
jakewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:33 PM   #11
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Variety is the spice of life... as long as you don't get caught.

I prefer Serif but I use both. I've been changing fonts when I start reading a new book and rotating through all 14 fonts that I have loaded.

Font flexibility is one of the big benefits of electronic books.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:42 PM   #12
jakewastaken
Media Whore.
jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3k5oY9AHHM
jakewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:28 PM   #13
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
I convert most of my ebooks to RTF in Microsoft Word. Up to now I've changed the font to Arial size 16. This give me a large clean text that I can read in short bursts in less than ideal conditions, such as on a moving tram or in a poorly lit station.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:26 PM   #14
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Heh, I would like a look at those studies. Do you have a link, or was it a paper affair, and in that case, do you have a reference?
I'm sorry but I no longer have that information. These were studies on typography that I read maybe 15-20 years ago. Of course, one good indication of the truth of the findings is that most books -- and certainly all lengthy ones -- use serif type for the text. They will use sans serif for short passages or for tables and figures, but rarely for body text.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #15
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakewastaken View Post
Great video. Thanks.