Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #271
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk46 View Post
Blossom-I have an iMac. When I transferred books from Calibre to my Kindle eReader and to my Kindle Fire original I did not have a problem. However, I now have a Kindle Fire HDX and when I plug it into my computer-iMac-using the USB cord the "Device" icon does not appear at the top. Please take me thru the transfer process. Thanks.
Fire (like most Android devices) requires additional software to be 'seen' by your Mac:

Quote:
Important: If you own a Mac computer with OSX 10.5 or above or a Windows XP computer, your Kindle Fire will not be detected by your computer until you download new software for your computer. To download the software, go to http://www.kindle.com/support/downloads, and then select your country from the list.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #272
jswinden
Nameless Being

The Kindle Paperwhite 2 had a similar issue with not being recognized by Mac computers until FW 5.4.2 fixed the issue. Amazon needs better programmers.
Advert
Old 01-02-2014, 05:21 PM   #273
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The Kindle Paperwhite 2 had a similar issue with not being recognized by Mac computers until FW 5.4.2 fixed the issue. Amazon needs better programmers.
I won't dispute that Amazon needs better programmers, but in this case, the problem is dysfunction between Apple and Google: OS X does not include USB drivers for Android 3.x and later (most likely because Apple chooses not to include them—recall Steve Jobs vowed to 'destroy' Android—Google would probably be happy to provide them). So Android File Transfer is the workaround Google provides.

Last edited by tomsem; 01-02-2014 at 05:24 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:22 PM   #274
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I finally got into a Best Buy and saw the 7" and 8.9" HDX. Even under the store lights I could clearly see the blue tinge, it would drive me crazy in normal light, other than that its a fantastic tablet, I cannot believe how fast it is. The 8.9" model does not show this so its a real head scratcher why the 7" Had to be thi way. It's too bad I might get a 7" if it was not for this, I also got to sse a Ipad Mini with etina and its a huge upgrade to the original. the screen and size would make this my ereader tablet of choice, if I could actually pony up the $$$
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:41 AM   #275
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
I finally got into a Best Buy and saw the 7" and 8.9" HDX. Even under the store lights I could clearly see the blue tinge, it would drive me crazy in normal light, other than that its a fantastic tablet, I cannot believe how fast it is. The 8.9" model does not show this so its a real head scratcher why the 7" Had to be thi way. It's too bad I might get a 7" if it was not for this, I also got to sse a Ipad Mini with etina and its a huge upgrade to the original. the screen and size would make this my ereader tablet of choice, if I could actually pony up the $$$
I would say to look at the Nexus 7 which sells around $220 for 16GB it's a perfect eReader. If you want a Kindle Fire the Kindle Fire HD 7 does not having the blue haze problem. It has everything the HDX mainly has but it's has a lower resolution. The Nexus 7 is the perfect eReader for me. It's all I use now for reading.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2014, 02:53 AM   #276
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had a nexus at one point it's a great tablet but I didn't care for its aspect ratio for reading I feel the minis 4:3 ratio serves it better as an ereader
Old 01-18-2014, 04:49 AM   #277
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I had a nexus at one point it's a great tablet but I didn't care for its aspect ratio for reading I feel the minis 4:3 ratio serves it better as an ereader
I prefer the ratio on the N7.2 to 4:3 of a eReader. I haven't touch one since I started reading on my tablet. The font rendering is just amazing.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #278
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Me too. The 4:3 ratio gives more screen real estate for column heights while in landscape mode and portrait mode looks more like a real book. The way KitKat takes up top and bottom space on the screen makes it look even shorter in landscape than it should be.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPad-Mini-2.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	118062  
Old 01-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #279
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Me too. The 4:3 ratio gives more screen real estate for column heights while in landscape mode and portrait mode looks more like a real book. The way KitKat takes up top and bottom space on the screen makes it look even shorter in landscape than it should be.

Well sure, if you want to use two column view in landscape, the 4:3 of the ipad mini is perfect!

I don't read in landscape or two column view. So for me the Nexus 7.2 has an excellent page display.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:51 PM   #280
Scarpad
Addict

Picked up a 32 GB hdx and received it today. Overall in liking it alot, while I can notice the blue fringing its not bothersome in the light I will be using the device in. I'm glad I took a chance on one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20140226_23_35_55_Pro.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	119631   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140226_23_36_34_Pro.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	1,018.0 KB
ID:	119632  

Last edited by Scarpad; 02-27-2014 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:35 AM   #281
Scarpad
Addict

One More a Comic in the Comixology app. The blue against the white background not too bad at all completely acceptable, least on this one
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20140227_08_29_58_Pro.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	119656  
Old 02-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #282
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Picked up a 32 GB hdx and received it today. Overall in liking it alot, while I can notice the blue fringing its not bothersome in the light I will be using the device in. I'm glad I took a chance on one.
That would drive me nuts if I was going to use it as a reader. Comics shouldn't be too bad a problem but reading on it like the pic you post would give me a migraine. It looks like the border though is smaller and more inform then the ones I own so that's a plus.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:41 AM   #283
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
That would drive me nuts if I was going to use it as a reader. Comics shouldn't be too bad a problem but reading on it like the pic you post would give me a migraine. It looks like the border though is smaller and more inform then the ones I own so that's a plus.
Me too. I'm glad it doesn't bother scarpad though. Being an amateur photographer, that blue fringe looks like photos taken with cheap, crappy lenses! Yukkk!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #284
wsl1
wsl1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX
I just got my HDX this week and the battery discharges VERY FAST if the Kindle is taken outdoors in cold weather. Last night I was using it at a bar and the battery was down to 55% by the time I left. After about an hour outside with temperatures in the mid 20s, waiting for the bus and then walking home from the closest stop, the charge was down to 2%!
wsl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #285
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsl1 View Post
I just got my HDX this week and the battery discharges VERY FAST if the Kindle is taken outdoors in cold weather. Last night I was using it at a bar and the battery was down to 55% by the time I left. After about an hour outside with temperatures in the mid 20s, waiting for the bus and then walking home from the closest stop, the charge was down to 2%!
That doesn't sound right. Did you have WiFi on or off?