Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
Ogre11
Ogre11 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Info on russian language reader and books

I need to buy a reader for my Russian mother in law - does anyone have any ideas for the easiest reader to use that would support a Russian language format?

And where are some web sites that would let her download books in Russian? A site with a lot of choice and variety of books?

I'm asking because the amount of information available is overwhelming!
Ogre11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The Kindle will display Russian and I've seen Russian language books on Amazon. Amazon has no special section for them and the selection seemed to be learning Russian, public domain, and indie.

I haven't seen Russian on a Nook, but it should be fine. Barnes & Noble seems to have better support for Russian language books. Check out the link. Maybe have the MIL give an opinion on the available selections. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook...sian/379003555
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Don't know where your Russian mama-in-law lives, but I've seen a number of Russian books offered on the CLEVNET ebook library site (Cleveland, Ohio library coalition). They do look to mostly be classics, based on the covers, though.

You might check to see if a library near her has any books in Russian as well.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
One of the nice things about ebooks is that you can buy from a shop in Russia, wherever in the world you are. LitRes is a good one.

Although you can buy Russian books in ePub format, the fb2 format is a sort of de facto standard in that part of the world. Either buy a reader that supports this format out of the box, or be prepared to convert books from fb2 to ePub (which is very easy using Calibre).

There is huge "non-commercial" (if you know what I mean) library of Russian e-books based in Ecuador, where they claim to operate legally. Google for Librusec.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Ogre11
Ogre11 began at the beginning.

Device: none
thanks everyone - now I have a place to begin my search!
Ogre11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert