Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-03-2011, 04:26 AM   #1
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
Would you buy a K3 now, or wait and see ?

My wife at last expressed the desire to enter the ebooks' world.
Being a very happy owner of a K2, I am going to buy her a K3.
I am just wondering if I should go for it now or wait and see what will happen this fall.
Should I expect a price fall for K3 when the new tablet will be released ?
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #2
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
I would wait. I mean I would tell YOU to wait. I am the guy who bought the Kindle 1, 2 and 3 at full price. $399, yikes. But they were much better purchases than the Google TV!
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
I say it depends what importance you give to the potential new features of the Kindle. Until Amazon makes an official announcement, it's still possible they will come up with a touch Kindle, so if your wife would prefer touch over keyboard, it's wiser to wait a bit. I recently bought a Kindle, but prefer keyboard over touch, so...As for the price drop, I don't maybe it will be the case, but at 129$ the refurbished 3G Kindle, it's already as interesting as it gets.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:46 AM   #4
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Thanks for your advice,
that refurbished one is very interesting.
How are they? May a refurbished one be expected to be in mint condition?
Does it have the same guarantee as a new one ?
Old 09-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
I didn't see you're in Italy, so that discards the refurbished Kindle which is sold in US only. Other than that, AFAIK they are repaired Kindles, or only repackaged since Amazon can't sell them as new if for example someone buys a new Kindle, opens it and returns it to Amazon in the 30 days he has to get reimbursed, so it will end up sold as refurbished after checking and repackaging the device.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordcrasher View Post
I am just wondering if I should go for it now or wait and see what will happen this fall.
Honestly, I see no reason to wait. There will always be something just around the corner. But the K3 is an excellent reader that will be useful for years. And is available at a very good price. So if she's ready now, go for it. If something new comes out that she absolutely must have in a few months? Sell the K2, keep the K3 for yourself, and buy her the new one. You'll still be able to get some money for the K2, you'll get a good upgrade to the K3 (the Pearl eInk really is better), and your wife will have the new one.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Buy her one. Buy her one now.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Get a refurbished K3 with 3G and wifi. Sure, Amazon may announce something new in the next couple of months, but the K3 isn't going to stop working when that happens.

Refurbished Kindles direct from Amazon have the same guarantee as new ones. $129.99.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #9
Wordcrasher
Addict

Thanks pdurrant.
Unfortunately I tried to check out one of those refurbished ones and I was told they are available only for US.
Well, 60$ is not the end of the world, I'll go for a new one.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks pdurrant.
Unfortunately I tried to check out one of those refurbished ones and I was told they are available only for US.
Well, 60$ is not the end of the world, I'll go for a new one.
That's a shame. They're also available from the UK store, but that's not much help if you need them shipped to Italy (although it ought to be!).
Old 09-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #11
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Buy a Kindle. Buy a nice bottle of wine. Wrap up both. Surprise her with them. Enjoy the evening.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
Wordcrasher
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Buy a Kindle. Buy a nice bottle of wine. Wrap up both. Surprise her with them. Enjoy the evening.

Carol
Good advice !
I ordered the K3, now I'll have to wait some days.
Luckily the bottle of wine is already here
Old 09-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #13
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Good advice !
I ordered the K3, now I'll have to wait some days.
Luckily the bottle of wine is already here

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #14
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
If you wait, you may or may not get a nicer reader that may or may not be coming out in time for Xmas shopping season.

OTOH, if you get her a K3 now, there will be time for her to "thank" you (in the way that wives thank their husbands) over and over again, long before a new device may or may not be introduced.

Hmmm. It's a tough decision...

Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rehorst View Post
OTOH, if you get her a K3 now, there will be time for her to "thank" you (in the way that wives thank their husbands) over and over again.
I'm guessing you mean "Letting him read on his Kindle, while she reads on her Kindle".