Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-27-2011, 04:04 AM   #1
allisondbl
Connoisseur
allisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle Paperwhites 2013 and 2015, Nook Glowlight, iPhone, etc.
Unhappy Removing WEP key to stop Wi-Fi connection?

I'm trying to avoid update so want to connect my 'Kindle Wi-fi plus 3G' ONLY via 3G until they stop pushing update - want to connect as I do use browser.

Went to Menu/Settings/Wi-Fi settings but problem is that it will NOT let me change any Wi-Fi settings UNLESS I first connect to Wi-Fi which would, of course, defeat purpose - unless I can be sure I can change fast enough to avoid push download and I have no idea if I can.

So went to cafe so I could connect via 3G and did so, BUT when I go to available networks there, of course my home router does NOT show up so I can't remove its WEP key, assuming that one CAN remove a WEP which I have been unable to confirm is possible after I did my due diligence.

Any ideas girls and boys?

Thanks.
allisondbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:22 AM   #2
naypalm
Enthusiast
naypalm began at the beginning.

Device: K3G v3.1 jb
If you are able to, just unplug your cable modem and leave the wifi router running. Then on your kindle, goto wifi settings and hit "forget" next to your wifi's name.

Even if you are not able to unplug the cable modem, the update is still about 22 mb so I can assure you that it will not download within the few seconds it takes to change the setting.

Hope this helps!
naypalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
If your router has "MAC Address Filtering" you can block the Kindle by simply adding the Kindle's MAC address to the list of blocked addresses. The Kindle's MAC address is displayed in Settings. If you do this, you Kindle may attempt to access the router, but will be denied a connection.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
allisondbl
Connoisseur
allisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to behold

Both these replies ... ARE BRILLIANT. Thank you. Assuming I can shut down a partial download and assuming that there IS a delete for the Wi-Fi wep - Much as I adore Kindle I don't trust an company that does the push this way to make my life easy - I'll go there first. Thanks guys, seriously. A
Old 02-27-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I'm trying to avoid update so want to connect my 'Kindle Wi-fi plus 3G' ONLY via 3G until they stop pushing update - want to connect as I do use browser.
You do know that updates can get pushed out over 3G as well, right?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
allisondbl
Connoisseur

Update via 3G?

Actually, it's been my understanding they're NOT pushing it via 3G: A) because of the below from Amazon; B) because of other comments Amazon has made; C) because 3G "costs" them and Wi-Fi doesn't and D) there is NO Kindle with ONLY 3G. (Presumably this is one reason why they provide a download via PC: Someone who can't GET ON a Wi-Fi connection can download it.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529700
Old 02-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good to know. I didn't realize they weren't pushing via 3G at all for 3.1, but I guess it makes sense.

Quote:
D) there is NO Kindle with ONLY 3G.
I assume you mean that there is no Kindle with ONLY 3G... that will get the 3.1 update?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
allisondbl
Connoisseur

Appears they ARE pushing via 3G?

DiapDealer posted "I assume you mean that there is no Kindle with ONLY 3G... that will get the 3.1 update?"

Nope, I mean that as far as I know there IS no Kindle with only 3G, regardless of update issue. Not in their best interest as 3G costs them and Wi-Fi doesn't. They want you to default to Wi-Fi.

Thus they can push via Wi-Fi and believe every Kindle can get it at some point.

UNFORTUNATELY my desire to NOT get update was foiled. I don't know whether it snuck in during the three seconds I had Wi-Fi enabled to delete my router, or I AM WRONG and it WAS being pushed via 3G, but I just double-checked and my Kindle now shows it's "Version: Kindle 3.1." Will note that since I didn't even KNOW it had done this A) it did it fast and B) it has NO noticeable effect. So, a lot of tempest in a pot of tea, for me, but a learning experience.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisondbl
Nope, I mean that as far as I know there IS no Kindle with only 3G, regardless of update issue. Not in their best interest as 3G costs them and Wi-Fi doesn't. They want you to default to Wi-Fi.
Ummm.... yeah. I'm not sure I follow you. The Kindle 3 is the first Kindle to even have Wifi. The Kindle 1, the Kindle 2 and the Kindle DX are 3G only. I have a Kindle 2.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:54 PM   #10
allisondbl
Connoisseur

It's my day for apologies.

Sorry about that. See, this is why ONE SHOULD ONLY TALK ABOUT WHAT ONE KNOWS! I did not know that about previous Kindles and stand corrected. I WAS only talking about Kindle 3 - as that is ALL I know - but nowhere did I make that clear as I had no idea the others didn't have Wi-Fi. I thought 3G capability was the new kid on the block. Mea maxima culpa!