Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-07-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Multi-touch question

So I watched the video for the new Aura, and one of the features is multi-touch. I started to wonder, could this feature be released via firmware update for the Aura HD? Can the IR hardware support two finger touches? MarekGibek said here that the IR hardware does support it, so if that is true, why wouldn't they?
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:28 AM   #2
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
It could be done, but that way a major selling point of the new Aura would be lost. They'll never do it (but I'd like to be proven wrong). However that doesn't rule out creating a custom kernel both for Glo and AuraHD that provides such functionality! I'm just waiting the next firmware update (that should unify the software running on Aura and older models) to try this out.
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ahh I could see the selling point of the new Aura stopping them, that makes sense. Good luck compiling a new kernel with the multi-touch support..that would rock!
Old 09-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
My Sony T1 has pinch zoom. Same company supplies IR touch screens to Sony and Kobo and lists they are muti-touch capable. Kobo could but never have enabled pinch zoom. I don't know why they have not included this feature. I have only used T1 pinch zoom when reading PDF books and using web browser and it was a good addition. T1 pinch zoom sometimes accidentally happens when reading epub book caused by swipe page page turn resulting in a page turn loop that is easily stopped using back button.

Last edited by filmo; 09-13-2013 at 05:13 PM.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
EDIT: message removed, I misunderstood what was being discussed.

Last edited by paola; 09-08-2013 at 11:57 AM.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:37 AM   #6
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Hi freekkobo!

Yes, my kobo touch has hardware ready for multitouch. I've just released code kernel's changes needed to support multitouch:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222123

With these changes anyone can use multitouch events with his apps. You can see these events using "evtest" command line tool. It's still too early to make it available for non-developers yet... It's ready to use but there is no software that can use it now. My implementation may not be compatible with AuraHD software, too - I don't know. But definitely this is only a software problem. Hardware is multitouch ready.
MarekGibek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:47 AM   #7
freekobo
Addict

Awesome, thanks for the info Marek! Like giorgio130 said, once the new update is released maybe that will help with adding multi-touch for our kobos.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:47 AM   #8
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
About year or more ago when Kobo touch was fairly new and many users were complaining about poor PDF support I told a Kobo person on this forum that was posting here that same IR touch system used by Kobo was also used by Sony T1 with pinch zoom and included links to the the IR touch company's demo of their pinch zoom in action. The Kobo person seemed surprised by multi touch capability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5PEEuRa5tU

http://www.neonode.com/zforce%C2%AE-...-rave-reviews/

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-20021924-82.html

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...sture-control/
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
freekobo
Addict

Neat! Thanks for the links...I hope your listening Kobo.