Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #136
zessie
zessie began at the beginning.

Device: bebook white
woohoo, that's a good sign indeed!
https://au.readerstore.sony.com/

But should I wait for a PRS-T3 or buy the new kobo aura?
hmm..
zessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #137
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1; PW1; H2O
I bought the Aura and I love it. The T1 with more battery life and glowlight would be great, but the frontlit screen on the Aura makes it a no contest over the T1 for me.

Things come out so fast now I find it's better when I just pull the trigger and get what I really want instead of waiting forever for something that might not come out.
guitarizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #138
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarizt View Post
I bought the Aura and I love it. The T1 with more battery life and glowlight would be great, but the frontlit screen on the Aura makes it a no contest over the T1 for me.

Things come out so fast now I find it's better when I just pull the trigger and get what I really want instead of waiting forever for something that might not come out.
That's the eternal curse of consumer electronics... if you save your money for the next, marginally cooler gadget (or wait for the current coolest one to drop in price), there will always be something better coming up over the horizon. This goes for phones, graphics cards, tablets, and of course readers

I am, however, content to wait this one out. My prs-650 is perfectly serviceable, and as I haven't yet used a front-lit e-ink device for any appreciable amount of time, it's not a feature I would ditch my older device for. If Sony does launch a decent front-lit device, though, that will probably be enough of a selling point that I would buy one
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #139
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarizt View Post
If I had to choose between my T1 and my Aura, I'd keep the T1. I need to do notes and highlights and the T1 is vastly superior to the Aura for that. It is also vastly superior on battery life. My Sony is also easier to hold one handed using a bottom hold. The ergonomics of the Sony in lighted cover are better than that of the Aura in sleep cover. Fortunately, I don't have to choose between and can enjoy both readers, each for what they do best.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #140
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Front-lighting works well for dim lighting conditions, but doesn't work as well as a clip-on light for darkness. so I'm still in a holding position.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #141
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Front-lighting works well for dim lighting conditions, but doesn't work as well as a clip-on light for darkness. so I'm still in a holding position.
I have seen no conditions where a front-lit ereader does not work better than a clip-on. For one, it doesn't disturb the person that is next to you, second the amount of adjustment you can make to the light is, in my opinion, superior to a clip-on.

But, that is why there are so many different ways of getting the same thing accomplished, which is reading. What works for me, might not work for others.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #142
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Absolutely (in my opinion), a front-lit ebook reader is FAR superior than a clip-on light, and has left all other ebook readers iin the dust.

They are so much more adaptable. My Kobo Glo and Kindle Paperwhite are wonderful readers.

I look forward to seeing the new Sony readers - they should be wonderful, I would imagine.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:31 AM   #143
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I really do not get why you might be thinking this.
I have the Onyx Firefly and I use it all the time in complete darkness. It is perfect.
The great thing about it is that lighting your reading surface is no longer something that demands or takes attention. It simply is just there.
It is wonderful not to have to fiddle around with external light solutions anymore.
The reader has become a self contained unit that provides you with everything you need for reading. Believe me.... It is brilliant.
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #144
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskariot View Post
I really do not get why you might be thinking this.
I have the Onyx Firefly and I use it all the time in complete darkness. It is perfect.
I think it depends on your eyes.

I find that the glow models (Paperwhite and Nook Glow) are okay in dim light, but in total darkness the fonts take on a transparent blue tone that I struggle to see. Even with the darker, thicker fonts someone else suggested, it's a problem. So for night reading I tend to put the Glows up and get the eInk with a regular clip-on light. The fonts are so much darker and the contrast better it's not funny.

And Dear Hubby is a back sleeper, and frankly finds both types of lights bothersome. He says he can see both out of the corner of his eye, and doesn't like either one. So I throw a heavy blanket over the whole thing until he falls asleep. In that I'm lucky he falls asleep pretty quickly. But yes, he is bothered by the Glow as well.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #145
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I hear you. I really like the front light for dim conditions or gray sky days, but I'm a little less keen on it in total darkness. It seems to tire my eyes more using the Aura in total darkness as opposed to using my Sony T1 in lighted cover.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #146
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
You throw a heavy blanket over DH until he falls asleep? ... well its one option I suppose.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:08 AM   #147
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
You throw a heavy blanket over DH until he falls asleep? ... well its one option I suppose.
The heavy blanket is for the eReader and the light. I make a tunnel so very little of the light leaks out until I know for sure he's asleep. He likes the room really cold, so I usually have plenty of covers around.

DH sleeps with a CPAP machine. A heavy blanket on top of that would keep us both up all night wondering if he could breath!

I could go to another room and a chair, but frankly it's just easier to shield the light for a while.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #148
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Snoring has been known to provoke the same reprehensible behaviour in a household not a million miles from my own.....

Appalling behaviour ........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #149
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
Another rumour surfaces

I've no idea how reliable this site is, but thought I'd share the link here:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05...e_ink_display/
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #150
dhaberer
dhaberer began at the beginning.

Device: A few different ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmartin View Post
I've no idea how reliable this site is, but thought I'd share the link here:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05...e_ink_display/
Sony announced this already, so it's legit, but doesn't look like they'll be releasing it in flexible form at this time. It would be really nice if they announced their new readers soon so we can decide what to get next. My wife's nook glow got a big scratch this weekend. She'd prefer to go back to Sony, but not without a built in light. I'm really hoping their stupid comments about not doing light turn out to be wrong. I'd really like to see them release a Z series that is water and dust proof. Most of our reading is done pool/beach/lake side.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/17/s...k-slate-video/
http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/s...aper-hands-on/
dhaberer is offline   Reply With Quote