Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
JackLiu
JackLiu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Why Kindle 3 Always Keep One Status of Rotation?

There is a problems that really bothers me.

The thing is when I read a PDF file in landscape mode, because the font of the file is too small.

Then I go back to home, the screen still remains landscape mode, if I want to reader another book. I have to change the rotation manually. Even worse, if I decide to read the PDF file again, I have to change the rotation again. This is really inconvenient!

Is there anyway that kind could "remember" the rotation of a particular book(file)?

Thanks!!
JackLiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Jackliu.

The Kindle DX with automatically rotate when turned, but the K3 doesn't.

Personally, I don't find it a problem to very quickly put the screen back to portrait mode.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
JackLiu

Thanks!

Is there any shortcut to rotate kindle 3?
Old 09-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I'd like to see at least orientation-specific settings, if not book-specific ones.

For example, the line length setting that works well in landscape is not likely to work as well with portrait.

It seems at least some PDF settings are document specific (like contrast).

Last edited by tomsem; 09-22-2010 at 04:05 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLiu View Post
Thanks!

Is there any shortcut to rotate kindle 3?
Not that I'm aware of, tho someone else might post one.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
JackLiu

I strongly suggest Amazon should put a shortcut for kindle 3 rotation.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #7
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
It isn't exactly difficult to rotate with the existing menu though. Aa, down, down and then select the screen orientation you want.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
It isn't exactly difficult to rotate with the existing menu though. Aa, down, down and then select the screen orientation you want.
That's true, but it's a pity that Amazon didn't include an accelerometer in the Kindle as so many other manufacturers have added to their readers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #9
s0litaire
s0litaire began at the beginning.

Their are test scripts for an accelerometer in the "test" folder but says is missing a driver.
Don't know if it's just the driver that's missing or that there's no accelerometer present.
s0litaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
In terms of keypresses, that's a lot.
I also wish there was a way to lock out the two orientations I don't use.
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #11
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0litaire View Post
Their are test scripts for an accelerometer in the "test" folder but says is missing a driver.
Don't know if it's just the driver that's missing or that there's no accelerometer present.
It isn't present in the K3.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #12
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoZ View Post
In terms of keypresses, that's a lot.
It would be at most 2 extra keypresses since you'd push something and then a direction to rotate.

Email Amazon anyway on their Kindle customer service address to suggest it as a future feature anyway. They'll never find it on here so you'll need to inform them. Your task here however is to convince others that this is a good idea so they'll also suggest it to Amazon

Last edited by Tiersten; 09-22-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #13
Metapioca
Metapioca began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G intl
accelerometer... that's a funny feature, but I think I would really be annoyed by my kindle rotating the screen every time I want to read in bed, on the side. No no, keep that for ipads.
a shortcut would be nice though...
Metapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #14
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
Well, the iPad implementation was good I thought: it has a hold switch to lock the orientation.
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #15
wesleyer
Connoisseur
wesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enough

Device: none
The Kindle DXG also has a lock mode, where the automatic orientation change is disabled.
wesleyer is offline   Reply With Quote