Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
What to do when downloaded metadata is wrong?

I'm currently inputting my library into Calibre. As Kovid knows, I've used it for conversions and also the ebook-viewer, but this is the first time I've used it for ebook management. While inputting my Barbara Michaels collection, and "fixing" the metadata and adding covers, I noticed that the date published is wrong, on every one of her titles. I tried going in and changing it manually, and it won't let me do that, either. I tried changing the date published metadata on one I didn't download the metadata for as well, and it won't let me change it. It shows me the calendar, but when I click on a date, it goes back to what it was to begin with. Any ideas? Am I just missing something simple? I realize that the reason for the downloaded metadata being wrong is likely that they're giving me the date for the last time an edition was printed, but I need the original publication date. But why can't I change it manually?

Oh, by the way... I want to add here that I am thoroughly enjoying the GUI updates. They make the program super nice to work with!

ETA: Version is 7.10

Last edited by phenomshel; 07-30-2010 at 09:11 PM. Reason: adding version number
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:42 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Are you trying to change the date in the main calibre window or in the edit metadata dialog? I use the latter and have no problems editing the date although I do it by editing it manually rather than via the pop-up calendar.

Also if you do not want the exact date you might want to take advantage of the 'tweak' option that allows the displayed format to be set for this date - I have mine set to show just the year which is all I am interested in and which also makes editing it much easier and faster.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:09 AM   #3
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Where is this tweak option you speak of?
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:17 AM   #4
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Are you trying to change the date in the main calibre window or in the edit metadata dialog? I use the latter and have no problems editing the date although I do it by editing it manually rather than via the pop-up calendar.

Also if you do not want the exact date you might want to take advantage of the 'tweak' option that allows the displayed format to be set for this date - I have mine set to show just the year which is all I am interested in and which also makes editing it much easier and faster.
The year is all I want too.... where is the tweak option, please?
Old 07-31-2010, 02:18 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It is in the file tweaks.py in the Calibre configuration folder (which you can get to via Preferences) and can be edited using a text editor. It allows for a number of tweaks to calibre behaviour that cannot be one via the GUI.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:29 AM   #6
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Thanks... I found it...

Also discovered the .py file is read only, and I had to change that before I could edit it. Yes, I'm tired.

Last edited by phenomshel; 07-31-2010 at 02:35 AM. Reason: rephrasing