Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
ddarsie
ddarsie began at the beginning.

Device: nextbook
Can a Series be deleted?

Hello. I cannot figure out how to delete a particular series from the series dropdown. For example, when I added some epub books in same series I ended up with two slightly different series names. Of course I only need one of them. How do I get rid of the unwanted 'series name'?

TIV,
Denis
ddarsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@ddarsie - in Tag Browser (shift/alt/T), right click the Series you don't want to keep, and rename it to the same as the one you do want to keep - eg if you had "Hunting of Dinosaurs" and "On the Hunting of Dinosaurs" and you only wanted the first, then you'd rename the second by removing the words 'On the'.

There's are lots of features available via calibre's right click menu's.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
BR gave you the Plain Vanilla Calibre Way

Get (and install ) the Manage Series PI
Select books from Both (you can use the Tag Browser to select 2 or more groups)
Select All or Highlight all books: Launch the Manage Series PI

It will try and arrange the order for the name at the top.
YOU ARE NOT required to use this name-just change it .

You can Reorder the books in the List
You can lock a book index thus creating a Gap OR Add an empty book (place holder ) to fill gaps

This PI has Series POWER
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
This PI has Series POWER
The fact that I don't use that PI is an indication that I'm not an avid reader of series. I can only recall reading a few, Snow's Strangers and Brothers, Peake's Gormenghast trilogy and Powys' Wessex series. Currently awaiting third instalment of Mantel's Richard Cromwell trilogy.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
The fact that I don't use that PI is an indication that I'm not an avid reader of series. I can only recall reading a few, Snow's Strangers and Brothers, Peake's Gormenghast trilogy and Powys' Wessex series. Currently awaiting third instalment of Mantel's Richard Cromwell trilogy.

BR
Hey, Someone needs to read the books that do not belong in a series or Fandom
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2014, 12:56 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarsie View Post
Hello. I cannot figure out how to delete a particular series from the series dropdown. For example, when I added some epub books in same series I ended up with two slightly different series names. Of course I only need one of them. How do I get rid of the unwanted 'series name'?
The Series drop down is actually constructed dynamically from the values stored for the books in your library. Therefore the fact that you have two different variants for what should be the same series means the books themselves have these different values.

As has been mentioned the solution is to rename one of the series values. Once you have done this then the entry will be removed from the list as no books now have that value associated with them.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #7
ddarsie
ddarsie began at the beginning.

Device: nextbook
Hey all, thanks very much for the spot on help. The renaming thing did the trick, and so easily. I should have figured that one out my self.
Denis
ddarsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #8
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarsie View Post
Hey all, thanks very much for the spot on help. The renaming thing did the trick, and so easily. I should have figured that one out my self.
Denis
This same "trick" also works with authors and tags. I've had to use it many times when I've found that I have the same author listed more than once with slight variants in the name (e.g. with and without a middle initial, misspellings, ...).
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #9
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
The Find Duplicates plugin has an option to find "similar" series, authors, publishers, or tags to locate variations in these.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
series name, series organization