Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-07-2011, 05:15 AM   #1
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
WANTED: 2894 The Fossil Man by Walter Browne

Not sure where else to post this.

I am looking for a copy of 2894 The Fossil Man by Walter Browne original publication 1894.

Would like to purchase, or if possible get it on loan. Promise to take super good care of the copy!

If you have any copies or know of someone who has one please send them my way.

Thanks!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I looked and I can't find it. Still looking.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

rare

Apparently its a rather rare book. I searched all over the net and did not find anything through the usual sources.

I have a friend who has read it, but he no longer has his copy.

Figured it could not hurt to ask here and see if anyone has a copy.

Amy
Old 05-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Would get more reads if this thread was in Reading Recommendation of General Discussion. Not everyone goes to the lounge.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Wow! not on Ebay, that is truly amazing.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
Wow! not on Ebay, that is truly amazing.
I see that you also tried Ebay.

I spent an hour yesterday looking for it.

Which begs the question - why?

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:55 PM   #7
sassanik
Guru

a challenge

The question of why!

Well at first I was just curious, it was listed as a rare Utopian/Dystopia book.

So that made me curious... a rare book? how rare could it be? Well apparently really rare!

Now I am looking for it because I can't find it, its an interesting challenging hunt. Though with my luck if I do find it will probably be super expensive!

Its not on ebay, Amazon, Biblio, Bookfinder, Half and a number of other spots that I have looked. Its not at any of my local Universities, though there is a copy at U of Missouri in St. Louis, which is NOT close to where I live.

The irony is when I mentioned it to a friend he remembered reading it in High School (which was a while back ago for him). He doesn't have the copy anymore but I thought it ironic he knew exactly which book I was talking about!

Anyway apparently it does deserve the Wikipedia listing as a "one of the rarest books in the English language"

@Jswolf
I was not sure if it was okay to post it in the reading recommendations, since I am not actually recommending it, but rather looking for it.

Amy
Old 05-08-2011, 04:14 AM   #8
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Like you, I have been looking for an unobtainable book for a year - simply

because
it was difficult to find. Today I found it at a torrrens download, but

am only able to read it on my computer for various reasons. It's in the public

domain. I have since found out that the physical book could cost over a

thousand dollars!

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:28 AM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
not a sniff - it's not even mentioned on pgdp.net ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:02 AM   #10
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
All I can find is the wiki entry.

Last edited by Dylrob; 05-08-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:25 AM   #11
sassanik
Guru

little information

Yeah there is very little info on it that I can find. I found the Wikipedia Entry, a couple of mentions of it in texts about early sci-fi and feminist movement.

Nothing on Distributed Proofreaders or Gutenberg.

Found it mentioned here:
http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/themes/topian.html

as well as on Internet Speculative Fiction Database:
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?1228252

Google books brings up mentions of the original release announcement in NYTimes, and in Publishers Weekly. Jstor brings up the mentions in a couple of academic papers.

No copies that I have found on the Internet Archive.

It is well and truly a rare book!

@Nohmi- It is always nice when a rare book gets digitized and made available for people to read! What book were you looking for?

Amy
Old 05-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #12
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There appears to be a copy in

University of Missouri- St Louis
University Libraries, Thomas Jefferson, Ward E. Barnes, & Mercantile Library

SAINT LOUIS, MO 63121 United States

http://www.worldcat.org/title/2894-o.../oclc/38202789
Old 05-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #13
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The University of Missouri in St. Louis has a copy.
http://www.worldcat.org/title/2894-o.../oclc/38202789
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #14
GeoffC

Old 05-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #15
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I shoulda refreshed the page before I posted.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote