Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Film and TV Adaptations

I didn't know whether I should put this in the "Lounge" or in the "General Discussions," but it is a topic I think a lot about. I, personally get excited when a book I like is being dramatized, though that does sometime lead to disappointment. However, I think a good adaptation can really heighten your involvement with/appreciation of the story.

1) Do you have any adaptations that you particularly like/despise?

I'm a fan of the HP and LOTR adaptations, though, of course, there are a few things I would have done differently. I was lukewarm on the Cloud Atlas adaptation. I thought it was lovely visually and musically and the acting was pretty good but I didn't get the power of the story I did from the book. I hated, hated, hated the TV movie of Wizard of Earthsea. It was not the book at all and garbled the story horribly.

2). Anyone else like to play the "casting game" (i.e. thinking about who would play favorite characters).
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've had discussions with friends over the years who would complain about how they did not like an adaptation because of how it strayed from the original material.

I would always counter with the fact I tend to treat the film version as totally distinct from the book, and that I would just enjoy the two as separate works.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is certainly a way to approach it, Peter. I really don't mind changes (I love that first Hobbit movie, which adds stuff, and that latest Pride & Prejudice adaptation, which cut a lot of stuff). I do think the spirit of the original story should be respected, though.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post

2). Anyone else like to play the "casting game" (i.e. thinking about who would play favorite characters).
The idea of Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher just boggles my mind. (Mutt & Jeff) I know - artistic license.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
The idea of Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher just boggles my mind. (Mutt & Jeff) I know - artistic license.
LOL. He is nutty as planter's mixed but I thought he did a decent job as Lestat in Interview with the Vampire and he wasn't a fit for that. Never read the Reacher books. I have a Pinterest board for my casting...

http://www.pinterest.com/caitlin7043...casting-couch/
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
1) Do you have any adaptations that you particularly like/despise?
Personally, I have enjoyed all of the Stephen King mini-series adaptations that have been done for television over the years. It seems like they can do fairly well when they are able to take a story of his and let it play out over two or three different nights.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:54 AM   #7
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
As Halloween approaches I was thinking of the animated version of Ray Bradbury's The Halloween Tree. The television adaptation was a sub-set of the book, but stayed true to the spirit. Ray Bradbury did the narration, and Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Moundshroud was just about perfect.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
The Merchant/Ivory/Jhabvala films are magnificent examples of adapting classic novels to the movie screen. My particular favorites are The Golden Bowl and The Bostonians. Ruth Prawer Jhabvala is a superb screenwriter, bringing Henry James' prose to life.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
As Halloween approaches I was thinking of the animated version of Ray Bradbury's The Halloween Tree. The television adaptation was a sub-set of the book, but stayed true to the spirit. Ray Bradbury did the narration, and Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Moundshroud was just about perfect.
Ooooh. I wonder if that is on Netflix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
Personally, I have enjoyed all of the Stephen King mini-series adaptations that have been done for television over the years. It seems like they can do fairly well when they are able to take a story of his and let it play out over two or three different nights.
I've thought so, too. I mean, you can't do The Stand in 2 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
The Merchant/Ivory/Jhabvala films are magnificent examples of adapting classic novels to the movie screen. My particular favorites are The Golden Bowl and The Bostonians. Ruth Prawer Jhabvala is a superb screenwriter, bringing Henry James' prose to life.
I should look those up. I saw Howard's End and Remains of the Day a long time ago and they were lovely.

Okay. Here's a question; do you have a book you'd really like to see a good adaptation of.

For me, it is A Wizard of Earthsea. That hideous miniseries they came out with awhile back doesn't count.

I'd also like to see adaptations of David Mitchell's 1000 Autumns of Jacob de Zoet and Neil Gaiman's Sandman (yes, I know it is a graphic novel).
Old 10-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Okay. Here's a question; do you have a book you'd really like to see a good adaptation of.

With all of the Spider-man/Superman/Avengers/Batman/Iron-Man screen-time lately, I would like for one of the networks to tackle George R. R. Martin's Wild Cards series and really put some effort into it.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #11
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
With all of the Spider-man/Superman/Avengers/Batman/Iron-Man screen-time lately, I would like for one of the networks to tackle George R. R. Martin's Wild Cards series and really put some effort into it.
Yeah, I think I read a couple of those many, many years ago and liked them. The Game of Thrones series is certainly well-done! I actually like the T.V. series better than the books on that one, which is strange.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:06 AM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I'd like to see the Wheel of Time done
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:27 AM   #13
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
I thought the "Bridget Jones Diary" film was MUCH better than the book. An upcoming adaption to watch-out for the "Outlander" Starz i making a TV-series based on the first book in the series by Diana Gabaldon and most of the main characters are now cast http://www.starz.com/originals/outlander
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #14
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
i loved the adaptation of

The stand
Shawshank Redemption

and am currently loving Under the dome however the book is better by a long shot
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #15
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
game of thrones!!!!!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote