Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-11-2011, 06:55 AM   #31
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
I'm not sure if those are large phones or small tablets with voice calling capability

I arbitrarily choose to say any device < 5" is a smartphone and >= 5" is a tablet. So a Streak 5 or Galaxy Note is a tablet, but an HTC Titan (4.7" screen) or Samsung Infuse (4.5" screen) is a smartphone.
I have the Streak, and I would never consider it to be a tablet. It is much too small for that. But it is great as a phone (perfect size for me), as a media player, and for some quick reading and browsing.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #32
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Each of my devices has its purpose, but all other things being equal, I prefer to read on my Android phone. I know that makes me the odd one out, but I love the backlit display to read in bed, love its ultra-portability and easy fit-in-the-hand size, love being able to use the volume buttons to page forward and back, like being able to take (some ) calls. The screen doesn't bother me at all - in fact I prefer it.

But, I also like my Sony Reader (bright sunlight, long trips), rooted Nook Color (big enough to read The Economist and acts as a tablet too), old iPaq PDA (reading device, with Freda, for the gym - don't care if it dies of sweat one day), and Kindle keyboard (bright sunlight, long trips). The only two that sort of duplicate each other are the Kindle and the Sony - when the PDA dies, the Kindle will probably push the Sony into being the new gym reader.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #33
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
love being able to use the volume buttons to page forward and back
+1. This is one feature I really like on Android readers that I've never seen on iOS. Alas, I've yet to find an Android smartphone that I can dim down as much as the iPhone/iPod Touch.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #34
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
One big advantage of smartphones, tablets, and iOS Devices- you can read with many different ereader apps ( some of which are better than the "store" reader apps) and you can buy from any store you want without worrying about DRM issues ( for those who worry about those kind of things).
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #35
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
One big advantage of smartphones, tablets, and iOS Devices- you can read with many different ereader apps ( some of which are better than the "store" reader apps) and you can buy from any store you want without worrying about DRM issues ( for those who worry about those kind of things).
That is a good point and one reason I like my apps. I should have added that to my "pro" column for the phone.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #36
mersfire
mersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic somethingmersfire has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
I read on my phone a lot, that is why I bought a phone with a five inch screen.

I use reading apps that allow page turns using the volume buttons, that way I can avoid touchscreen hassles and read one handed.
Is that a Dell Streak I spy? And I thought I was the only one using this beast. Rooted and with a new ROM, this has got to be one of the best phones ever. I'm also waiting for the Samsung Galaxy Note to be launched in the US. That display looks fantastic!

I pretty much agree with what most people have said here, but I think the simplicity of an eReader is the big attraction, just flip the switch and continue reading. But of course the best device for reading is the one you have on you at the time!
mersfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #37
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
+1 With my iPhone/iPad, I am not committed to buying from Amazon (which I do mostly), or Barnes and Noble (never use them) or Kobo (never use them). I can even buy from the Apple iBookstore (don't recommend until somebody cracks their DRM).

Great selection of magazines with apps as well....or through Zinio, pdf's of most any magazine you can think of.

Flipboard and Zite have turned my RRS/news reading into a magazine experience as well.

And iBooks app finally has night mode Highlighting the advantage of apps for their ability to get better quicker than is typical for hardware solutions.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #38
JxK
Enthusiast
JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, NC CM 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
+1. This is one feature I really like on Android readers that I've never seen on iOS. Alas, I've yet to find an Android smartphone that I can dim down as much as the iPhone/iPod Touch.
Get the app "screen filter". It allows you to dim the screen far beyond what the stock settings allow. And it's free. If you read regularly on your android device in dim light, the app is invaluable.
JxK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:32 AM   #39
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Flipboard and Zite have turned my RRS/news reading into a magazine experience as well.
Magazines are overpriced; but thanks to Pulse and Google Currents, I get a magazine experience for free. The selection they offer more than satisfies my magazine needs.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #40
The Hooded Claw
Connoisseur
The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Android phone with Kindle app, Kindle 4 in reserve
Dedicated eInk ereaders aren't as portable as the smart phone, but that advantage is fading now that the K4 (new $79 Kindle) is much smaller. I believe B&N has a similar small device now.

I do some reading on my smart phone, usually "moments of opportunity" at lunch or otherwise on the go. One of the reasons I chose the particular phone I did (EVO 3D on Sprint) was because the larger screen made it easier to read ebooks and webpages. The 4.3 inch screen has about half the area of a standard six inch eInk screen, so it is usable, but still not as desirable.

One adaptation that I've made to the demands of reading on-the-go is to focus on having something short available to read on the phone. I do most of my magazine reading at home on my iPad using the Zinio app, but I subscribe to one magazine (Science News for me, but each reader would choose one appropriate for their interests) through Kindle just for reading on my phone. Books that contain short pieces are also good, I've read and re-read the version of Aesop's Fables that comes with the Kindle app, and Mark Twain's essays are good for a quick read over lunch.

I can also use the Nook app to still get easy access to the handful of B&N ebooks I bought during my experiment with the Nook Color.

Last edited by The Hooded Claw; 12-16-2011 at 10:42 AM.
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #41
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
Dedicated eInk ereaders aren't as portable as the smart phone, but that advantage is fading now that the K4 (new $79 Kindle) is much smaller. I believe B&N has a similar small device now.
The K4 is about the same size as the Nook STR and Kobo Touch (and the Kindle Touch is larger than all of them). And all of those are larger than older 5" devices like the Sony PRS-300/350.

At least for me, size is only part of the story (if it can't fit in my pocket, it's not going with me everywhere). You also have to consider the utility of carrying yet another device with you everywhere. I will not go back to the bad old days of carrying multiple individual devices (pager, cell phone, PDA).
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #42
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
I don't exchange my real personal computer for nothing.

Thanks to so much propaganda in these forums favoring eInk devices, I've been tempted on and off to get at least a Kindle. But I don't really see any major benefit. Seems like a superficial gadget to invest, featuring as the only real benefit the battery life.

We've done that jig already, right? Distractions are a part of everyday life, either SMS, videogames, TV, kids running amok while you're under your stereotypical kindle tree, birds singing etc.

It's up to you to ignore all of that if you wanna read. At least with a smartphone, it's as easy as uninstalling the damned Angry Birds and putting the network down with the touch of the Plane Mode button.
how things change

turns out I can't go back into reading on my smartphone. eInk screen is far superior, the lack of any features but those reading-oriented is pure bliss

best of all: I don't spend precious battery with internet browsing on my smartphone anymore - too busy reading
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #43
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
LOL! /
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote