Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-29-2014, 03:37 PM   #1
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
What's the deal with generic covers in ebooks?

I think we've all seen those generic covers, with just author, title, publisher on a graphic template. I've seen this even with recent (retail) books whose cover must already exist in convenient e-format. What the heck? Are they just too lazy? Trying to save 100k? Avoid paying loyalty to the cover artist?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I think we've all seen those generic covers, with just author, title, publisher on a graphic template. I've seen this even with recent (retail) books whose cover must already exist in convenient e-format. What the heck? Are they just too lazy? Trying to save 100k? Avoid paying loyalty to the cover artist?
Yes! (to all 3)
Some artists even refuse to allow Digital versions of their images. The ones that you do find may not be authorized.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
I always feel really gypped when there is no cover. Particularly if the book has been expensive.

I prefer cover view on my reader as I have a better memory for covers than book titles. That stupid big penguin on all those covers makes me grind my teeth >.<
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Got to love calibre. **All** my books have real covers.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
This.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2014, 02:14 AM   #6
rollei
Addict
rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Other than the actual book cover page, on a eReader, the book cover looks like a thumbnail in the library list page etc. If the typeface or fonts of the book title is small, it may be hard to make out what the book title is because of the thumbnail, there are graphics/photos on it and the typeface/fonts are small. With generic book covers, hopefully that would make the e-book a lot cheaper.

I'm glad all the Penguin e-books I bought has real book covers.

Last edited by rollei; 03-30-2014 at 02:22 AM.
rollei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:43 AM   #7
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Yes it's really annoying. I agree with jgaiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:15 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yeah, some publishers are cheap that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollei View Post
Other than the actual book cover page, on a eReader, the book cover looks like a thumbnail in the library list page etc. If the typeface or fonts of the book title is small, it may be hard to make out what the book title is because of the thumbnail, there are graphics/photos on it and the typeface/fonts are small. With generic book covers, hopefully that would make the e-book a lot cheaper.

I'm glad all the Penguin e-books I bought has real book covers.
Penguin is somewhat notorious for giving you a picture of a penguin instead of a cover. In my experience, they are the worst publisher in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Yes it's really annoying. I agree with jgaiser
calibre +1
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #9
Ebookfans
Ebookfans began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 5c
Yeah this is annoying as it get. Although I have found a way around it through software but
Ebookfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:01 PM   #10
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I see book covers as black-and-white thumbnails on my eink reader, so fancy cover art is lost on me. I'm fine with just the author and title.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #11
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
In all honesty, I hardly ever see the covers on my ereader, so it doesn't really matter much to me.

(But I do tend to slip in an appropriate cover if the ebook doesn't come with one.)
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:26 AM   #12
CBG
CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CBG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Libra
I do think the cover is important, so much so that I set the current book's as screensaver.
CBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #13
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
If I import it into Calibre and it has one of those generic covers I tell Calibre to download the cover...I don't know or care where they get it, I like the pretty covers. Of course, I also manually split and edited the metadata on all umpty-hundred Tor short stories put out in that collection last year to have the right covers, so I may be a little overboard about covers.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #14
Kiya
Addict
Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiya ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
If I import it into Calibre and it has one of those generic covers I tell Calibre to download the cover...I don't know or care where they get it, I like the pretty covers.
I do the same. It is one of the things I like about Calibre. I edit all my books to show covers on my reader.

I really hate those generic covers that Penguin e-books have.
Kiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #15
stepberr
stepberr began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I am not sure if this is only in Australia but Penguin paperbacks quite often have the generic covers
stepberr is offline   Reply With Quote