Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
kuklachica
Enthusiast
kuklachica began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G/WiFi
Changing font styles on Kindle Touch

I've seen people mention changing the font on their Kindle Touch (not the size, but the actual font style). How do you do this? Some books I am reading have horrible font and it comes across as way too light.

Thank you in advance!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
The way I fix font/formatting problems it is to remove the drm and convert it to epub in Calibre. I then open the file in Sigil and format the book to my liking. Afterwards I convert back to mobi and send to my device.

There may be an easier way, but I haven't found it yet for the Kindle Touch.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You can't change the font by converting to ePub and then back to mobi. The Kindle is only going to display in the font(s) it has installed.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Converting to epub and then fixing in Sigil removes strange fonts. I do it all the time. I buy older books which are in .azw1 format and have horrible fonts (these books do not let you change the font to any of the fonts installed on the Kindle).

I open the file in Sigil and remove the unwanted font. I then convert to mobi and am able to read the book in the Kindle's sans serif font, which I love.

I think kuklachica was asking how to change a horrible font and this is the only way I have found to do it on the KT.

Last edited by JoHunt; 01-30-2012 at 01:29 PM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Maybe the OPs file is a Topaz (azw1) file, so that might explain the problem.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
giododa
Connoisseur
giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
I think kuklachica is talking about the Kindle displaying a "monospace" font.
This usually happens if you convert an .epub file to .mobi if the .epub has in his style.css a reference to the font to be used like this one:

body
{
font-family: Garamond, Garamond, serif, sansserif, monospace;
}

In this case you have to remove the last item, that is monospace, and when you convert your file the kindle will display his usual font.

Last edited by giododa; 01-30-2012 at 01:44 PM.
giododa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by giododa View Post
I think kuklachica is talking about the Kindle displaying a "monospace" font.
This usually happens if you convert an .epub file to .mobi if the .epub has in his style.css a reference to the font to be used like this one:

body
{
font-family: Garamond, Garamond, serif, sansserif, monospace;
}

In this case you have to remove the last item, that is monospace, and when you convert your file the kindle will display his usual font.
Just check the fonts box in Look in Feel in Calibre when converting and it will remove all Font-Family references in the CSS. I love that feature!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
giododa
Connoisseur
giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Just check the fonts box in Look in Feel in Calibre when converting and it will remove all Font-Family references in the CSS. I love that feature!
I didn't know that.

giododa is offline   Reply With Quote