Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2007, 10:49 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Reminder: Sony's $50 e-books promotion to expire

We just received a friendly reminder from Sony that the $50 launch promotion -- which everyone who registered at Sony Connect on or before Dec 31, 2006 should have received -- is to expire by January 31st. I still have a few bucks on my account, so I should better grab another book or two before it's too late. Any recommendations (preferably in the sci-fi/fantasy genre)?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:58 AM   #2
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Necroscope by Robert Lumley and/or the book they are selling by Harry Turtledove book Sony sells on Alternative History
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
NormB
Definately Senior
NormB began at the beginning.

Device: eBookman,Dell Axim,PRS-500
I received an email from SonyStyle yesterday that said I am still elidible for the $50 credit even though the registration period ended 12/31/06. They provided a link to Connect for signing up but they still have not credited my account. I purchased the reader 12/28/06 and received it the first week in January. I was not credited for the $50 when I registered. Here's hoping anyway!!
NormB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Did you check the transaction history, NormB? That's the only place it shows up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Any recommendations (preferably in the sci-fi/fantasy genre)?
Here are a few I've enjoyed, in no particular order:

Wasteland of Flint by Thomas Harlan -- start of a series but stands alone well. It's got interesting concepts, but I found the style a bit dry.

Nimisha's Ship by Anne McCaffrey -- stand alone, very enjoyable, as I recall.

A Secret Atlas by Michael A. Stackpole -- begins a series, I've really liked Stackpole's other work, and this one is no exception

Enchantment by Orson Scott Card -- stand alone novel, excellent read.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
man, I was waiting to see if Stephen Baxter's "Resplendent" was going to come out but I guess I'll just have to use up my credits on some Star Trek books.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
glad I'm not the only one waiting for resplendent to hit the sony store.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:00 PM   #7
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
If you liked the included Vanguard novel, you can pick up part 2, Summon the Thunder.

There is a mini-novel on Boba Fett that was interesting for like $2, made me want to read more.

Ilium was the first Dan Simmons book I've read and it was good, a little weird.

And I recently bought the Terry Brooks bundle of four Shannara books, I haven't read them in like 15 years.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:45 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I liked "Jennifer Government" by Max Barry. Be careful in the store as they have two listings for the book with one being about twice the price of the other.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:22 PM   #9
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Thumbs up

Wow! There are a couple of excellent suggestions her, so I'll second a few:

1) Necroscope - Brian Lumley's series is an excellent read that has about 8-10 in the group. I picked up the kicker, Necroscope, about 13 years ago and let it lie for a couple years before I actually read it. Too bad, because I was hooked and quickly caught up to the point where I was waiting for the next in the series (Brian has a way of leaving you wanting more, with the occassional cliff hanger). Definite go if you're into horror/sci-fi, wish I would've received my PRS-500 before the cut-off, but the snow in Colorado caused about a 2-week delay and I didn't receive it till Jan 3! Guess I'll watch the newsgroups.
2) Jennifer Government - Yet another one of my favorite genre, techno/cyberpunk/scifi. I really enjoyed this book as well, didn't wait so long to read it (mainly judged by the cover and summary on the back. This is a fast-paced thriller that I found hard to put down (not an easy task, as I'm a bit critical about what I read; e.g., not too into legal drama or typical cop thrillers). This is worth picking up as well.

Not sure what else is out there, but you can't go wrong with Piers Anthony (are his books listed?). Try for the Incarnations of Immortality series, if they have 'em.

Excellent site!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #10
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
If you liked Alias, the book series is fun. They have a lot. They're short and not too expensive. I blew my remaining credit and quite a bit more on the ones I didn't have, plus that Kranz book on Apollo space missions called "Failure is Not an Option". (The slightly overpriced one. It was just convenient to get the Connect version for Sony Reader. I have to admit I felt a little cheated paying more than paperback price for a version that's tied to the Reader only by DRM, but that's the version I wanted, and it's just the way it is with most e-book sellers right now.)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:21 PM   #11
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Azazel, we seem to have similar fiction tastes. I haven't read Jennifer Govt, but I started reading the Immortality Series by Piers Anthony and find it so creative. they have a whole slew of his books except for the Incarnations series on Connect. I am hoping they come out with some more Lumley books, they only have 1. Definitely some intelligient fiction mixing history and sci fi.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:29 AM   #12
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
I can heartily recommend "Everything Bad is Good for You" by Steven Johnson. You're a TV junkie, right? Well, then this book is right up your alley.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:21 PM   #13
NormB
Definately Senior
NormB began at the beginning.

Device: eBookman,Dell Axim,PRS-500
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormB
I received an email from SonyStyle yesterday that said I am still elidible for the $50 credit even though the registration period ended 12/31/06. They provided a link to Connect for signing up but they still have not credited my account. I purchased the reader 12/28/06 and received it the first week in January. I was not credited for the $50 when I registered. Here's hoping anyway!!
Today they gave me the $50 credit in the form of a time limited Gift Certificate. If you originally purchased your Reader before the end of the year and took delivery in January but have not gotten this offer you may want to contact SonyStyle or Connect to see if you can get it. My last email to them asked them to check to see if they had to manually make the entry since it was past the 12/31/06 deadline. Their answer was the Gift Certificate (What the heck, why not try it and say you are still within the promotion period that ends 1/31/07!)

Now on to select the books I want!
NormB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:39 AM   #14
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I'll keep my fingers crossed. I just drafted a request that they consider crediting my account due to late delivery (I even sent them a copy of my purchase receipt). If not, I'll just keep using the great tools here to convert my lit, pdf, and rtf docs to the lrf. Thanks for the suggestion!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote