Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-08-2008, 05:15 AM   #16
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by idum View Post
Sorry for the newbie-like-question. I'm very interested in chess ebooks and i'm thinking to buy a V3-like e-reader. Those chessbase ebooks will be compatible with V3? and with iLiad?
No, e-ink devices don't support Chessbase formatted ebooks.

They're designed to be read through the Chessbase application on a PC (not Mac compatible afaik).
There is a freeware version called Chessbase Light that will display these books.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:03 AM   #17
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Yes, I've seen that one. If I remember correctly, it's by Edward Lasker, brother of the grandmaster Emmanuel Lasker.
According to the Wikipedia article on Edward, they weren't brothers, but may have been more distantly related:
"He was friends with former World chess champion Emanuel Lasker. Some controversy exists as to whether they were related. Edward Lasker wrote in his memoirs of the New York 1924 tournament as published in the March 1974 edition of Chess Life magazine: "I did not discover that we were actually related until he (Emanuel Lasker) told me shortly before his death that someone had shown him a Lasker family tree on one of whose branches I was dangling.""
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 08:42 AM   #18
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Thanks, Sparrow. I hadn't realised that.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:47 AM   #19
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I looked at the four titles at Project Gutenberg on chess. This one is available in HTML and includes individual GIFs of positions but the "moves" would need to be extracted from tables. Anyway, it would not be a terribly difficult task for someone to convert to ebook form.

The Blue Book of Chess - Teaching the Rudiments of the Game, and Giving an Analysis of All the Recognized Openings by Howard Staunton et al
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/16377

These other three titles are all only available in ASCII TXT format so the images of positions would need to be created from the ASCII art diagrams (or perhaps find a PDF of these at Google Books or the Internet Archive and copy the images from there?):

Chess Strategy by Edward Lasker
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/5614

Chess History and Reminiscences by H. E. Bird
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4902

Chess and Checkers : the Way to Mastership by Edward Lasker
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4913

Last edited by vivaldirules; 09-08-2008 at 09:52 AM.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:03 PM   #20
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'd love to see these books translated from descriptive to algebraic, but it's such a chore. I've been looking around for conversion software, but haven't found just the right thing yet.

Carl
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #21
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If anyone is looking for something to do that would be well appreciated, converting more chess books might be something you want to consider doing. I couldn't help but notice that there were 63 downloads of the one I converted in the 24 hours since I posted it. Compared to the other 50 or so books I've converted and posted, that's quite a lot.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #22
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
It might help someone to know that making a book image file in Book Designer is a useful way of converting chess books heavy with diagrams, and is particularly useful if they are in PDF.
See this thread, especially the 9th post by vvv (the inventor of Book Designer):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10075
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:06 PM   #23
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I looked at the four titles at Project Gutenberg on chess. This one is available in HTML and includes individual GIFs of positions but the "moves" would need to be extracted from tables. Anyway, it would not be a terribly difficult task for someone to convert to ebook form.

[These other three titles are all only available in ASCII TXT format so the images of positions would need to be created from the ASCII art diagrams (or perhaps find a PDF of these at Google Books or the Internet Archive and copy the images from there?):

Chess Strategy by Edward Lasker
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/5614
I'll give Chess Strategy by Edward Laser a go. I have the book to refer back too. Anyone have any tips on book conversion? I've never tried it before.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:59 PM   #24
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Carl, to learn book creation I recommend that you read the Wiki page on that subject. HarryT wrote a terrific tutorial that I follow religiously with BookDesigner. The tutorial is located in this sticky thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313 and will tell you how to use BD to clean a text file to create the ebook in all 3 formats. For the Lasker book, you'll also need to create images of the board positions from the ASCII art, which I can't tell you how to do. The HTML of the one I converted had a clever way to create images of the board positions using an 8x8 table filled with the images of the individual pieces. If you could figure out how to use that HTML and modify it for the positions in Lasker, you might be able to use it to create the images. Good luck!
Old 09-19-2008, 04:47 PM   #25
katmeyer
katmeyer began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Ray Cheng's "Practical Chess" available for Kindle

Hi: Just an update that Ray Cheng's "Practical Chess" is now available for Kindle
http://tinyurl.com/443zjy
katmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote