Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-22-2006, 07:12 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
ConsumerReports reports on the Sony Reader

ConsumerReports had a hands-on look at the Sony Reader and here is what they like and don't like:

Pros:
  • Decent legibility (the screen is "the best of any e-book we've seen so far")
  • Easy downloads ("download a full-length novel to our computer within 15 seconds or so")
  • Multimedia capability (play music "even while you're reading a book")
  • Ample storage ("there's no limit to the storage capacity")
  • Long battery life ("our informal testing suggests that the estimate [of 7,500 pages] might be an overstatement")

Cons:
  • Disconcerting delay (screen refresh - "not fatally long, but hardly ideal")
  • Display quirks ("you can't zoom in")
  • Unfriendly controls ("usability in general could be easier")
  • Missing features ("no built-in light")
  • Limited book selection (content "nowhere near what you can get in print")
  • Not compatible with Macs ("Sony says it hopes to support other platforms in the future")

Bottom line: The Reader is better than earlier e-books we've tested and costs less than current rivals--notably the i-Rex Iliad, to be released soon at a price of $800. That said, like many new works, it could use some revision. The unit is back-ordered at least a month on Connect e-Books, which might suggest that sales are strong. Still, we don't believe this first-generation Reader is quite ready to be a mainstream bestseller.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:03 PM   #2
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
notably the i-Rex Iliad, to be released soon at a price of $800
Am I confused? Or are they? I thought the Iliad was out?
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2006, 11:48 PM   #3
jsuplido
@jsuplido
jsuplido began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-300
I get the impression that ConsumerReports just casually used the Reader. Look at the cons they listed... delay, zoom in, unfriendly controls, built-in light... whoever wrote this is not an ebook reader.
jsuplido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 01:35 AM   #4
phuata
phuata began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv
Am I confused? Or are they? I thought the Iliad was out?
I think they mean when the Iliad will be sold in the US.
phuata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:09 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Already is, just by mail order.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2006, 06:07 AM   #6
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
I usualy discount anything they say. They have trouble with anything electronic.
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote