Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 11-18-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Confusion over the rc4 Designation

I seem to have the option of downloading OI versions designated rc4 and the current 20091115 (or earlier or later dates). Is the current 20091115 an rc4 version, or are we dealing with apples and oranges here? Many thanks again for the ongoing development efforts.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
I seem to have the option of downloading OI versions designated rc4 and the current 20091115 (or earlier or later dates). Is the current 20091115 an rc4 version, or are we dealing with apples and oranges here? Many thanks again for the ongoing development efforts.
Release candidates are generated manually as deemed necessary and go to /pub/releases/<ver>/<rcnum> directory.

200xyyzz are just automatically built "current" snapshots without any guarantee of being even bootable whatsoever. Instead they are generated every 3 days (and soon to be generated every day).

RC are good for use (I hope so), snapshots are good for testing new stuff.
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
Release candidates are generated manually as deemed necessary and go to /pub/releases/<ver>/<rcnum> directory.

200xyyzz are just automatically built "current" snapshots without any guarantee of being even bootable whatsoever. Instead they are generated every 3 days (and soon to be generated every day).

RC are good for use (I hope so), snapshots are good for testing new stuff.
So, does version 20091115 incorporate what is already currently in rc4 but adds more (experimental?) stuff to it? I'm sorry if I'm being a bit slow in comprehension here.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:27 AM   #4
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
So, does version 20091115 incorporate what is already currently in rc4 but adds more (experimental?) stuff to it? I'm sorry if I'm being a bit slow in comprehension here.
Yes, that's it.

Now you can get rc5 which is the newest there is at the moment, but I understand you wanted to find out how things work.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by idle View Post
Yes, that's it.

Now you can get rc5 which is the newest there is at the moment, but I understand you wanted to find out how things work.
Yes, I did want to know how things work, and I have also now installed rc5. Thanks again.
Advert